How do you choose your dummy?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by TheHereticJay, Dec 16, 2012.

1. TheHereticJay I scoff at your belt rankings

This is for instructors out there. How do you choose who you'll demo techniques on? Do you go by who is most experienced, who'll comprehend the move most by having it demo'd on, etc...? Just asking out of curiosity.

2. codemonkey76 Black Belt

My criteria for perfect demo partner is:
    • similar body size as me
    • decent base (so they don't just gonna fall over when demonstrating a sweep)
    • they should already know the technique, but be able to react appropriately, not anticipating the movement.
    • Be free from injuries that will affect the technique

3. thapa Guest

My instructor usually goes by seniority. Highest belt gets demonstrated on first, second highest belt is the demo dummy for the first demo dummy to observe.

However, for some techniques, he will go with the lightest persons in the room for ease of replicating the technique multiple times while freezing at certain points to explain this, that or the other thing.

4. Mine just goes on body style alone

5. LS1Rx7 Blue Belt

It seems like highest ranking / body type / and that might be over-ruled if he knows someone of the right body type was working on the drill specifically the day before or something.

6. kintana Purple Belt

My old instructor went on senority but never went for the really big guys. My current goes on body preference.