How do wrestlers get ranked?

S

Splatterbeast

Yes n00b, but just wondering. In BJJ and other martial arts they use belts, so you can pretty much visually tell how experienced a person is. How do you tell in wrestling?

by results and tournament history. There is no grading proccess, however you do get sort of "tiered" based on which school/club/association you wrestle with.

Visually there is nothing, no way of knowing how good someone is untill you wrestle with them.

by results and tournament history. There is no grading proccess, however you do get sort of "tiered" based on which school/club/association you wrestle with.

Visually there is nothing, no way of knowing how good someone is untill you wrestle with them.

thanks for replying. you wouldnt happen to know any reputable wrestling clubs/schools/associations in Los Angeles would you? :D

i know it suks. I wish us wrestlers got belts for our performance. that would be sick. But its a sport where you grind opponents out. I love it. It intense and very hard, but you learn so much.

Another thing I like about wrestling, even though it is rare a lower "ranked" wrestler can upset a higher "ranked" wrestler in an important event that means something to a team or for personal glory.

i.e. sometimes you can find a 1st year talent that can upset a multi year state qualifier in a dual meet that helps your team win the dual meet. Pretty cool stuff. Aside from that you can only go by record/placing at tournaments etc...

IF you are the starter on YOUR team you can face all levels of opponents, you never know in wrestling.

yea, but it is very hard to win if its your first year wrestling a state champion. u know

Well it depends on many things. But first, the state you are in is very important. I live in ohio, and we are up there in wrestling.

An example state champ in ohio, PA, NJ, Iowa, couple others > state champ in other states.

Also there is a thing called seeding at most tournaments that use a combination of last years accomplishments, and this years accomplishments. Some big tournaments will seed up to 8 people.

As for ohio, it goes sectionals to districts to state. The sectionals are seeded like previously stated, then the districts and state are set up by how one finishes in the previous round.

An example is a wrestler who wins sectional/districts will only face someone in another sectional/district who finished fourth. 2nd vs 3rd. They keep the placers on seperate brackets.

that's really the only way to tell. If someone is real good, then people will know him.

Also in ohio we have something called the Brakeman report which ranks all the top kids in ohio in each division. This isn't always accurate but it is very good

wrestling is the greatest sport in the world. The work ethic I got from it helped me excel in the Marine corps for years and now in my current job.

wrestling is the greatest sport in the world. The work ethic I got from it helped me excel in the Marine corps for years and now in my current job.

You know what, that is a very underrated part of the sport. The mental edge and determination to outwork, outhustle and outsmart your opponent. This does translate well in life. I have way to many employees that "flow with the go", I would rather have employees that GO!

You know what, that is a very underrated part of the sport. The mental edge and determination to outwork, outhustle and outsmart your opponent. This does translate well in life. I have way to many employees that "flow with the go", I would rather have employees that GO!

without wrestling I would have been a washout or in jail or some other horrible shit.

instead I went to college, graduated and made it through law school, because no matter what I attempted, I always came back to "compared to wrestling, it's a piece of cake"

can you still wrestle when you're older like BJJ or does the whole high intensity\scrambling that's part of wrestling pretty much rule out participation once you're old?

can you still wrestle when you're older like BJJ or does the whole high intensity\scrambling that's part of wrestling pretty much rule out participation once you're old?

When I was wrestling during my senior year in high school, I was at a multiple team practice for those of us who had qualified for the regional championships. There was this coach from another team, an older looking guy, who was around my weight. He really held his own and probably got the better of me, and I was at my best at that point. I later found out he was 70.

That's really an exception. Wrestling requires a high level of peak conditioning, and most guys aren't in anything near competition shape after they retire from competition, at whatever point they decide to do that. But it's possible.

Wrestlers get ranked by their ears, of course!

When I was wrestling during my senior year in high school, I was at a multiple team practice for those of us who had qualified for the regional championships. There was this coach from another team, an older looking guy, who was around my weight. He really held his own and probably got the better of me, and I was at my best at that point. I later found out he was 70.

That's really an exception. Wrestling requires a high level of peak conditioning, and most guys aren't in anything near competition shape after they retire from competition, at whatever point they decide to do that. But it's possible.

WOW! That's incredible! I was at a club practice about 2 months ago and watched an OLD timer go out there and wrestle with some of the HS kids. Now he only participated in the ground grappling portion but he more than held his own on the mat.

Sorry to ruin the otherwise serious thread! It just made me think of something someone more eruidite than I said;

"They don't give out cauliflower ears for being a pussy!"

Sorry to ruin the otherwise serious thread! It just made me think of something someone more eruidite than I said;

"They don't give out cauliflower ears for being a pussy!"

NAAAWWW It's all good!

Back