How do we teach people that the internet is not real life?

Seems to me that a lot of the issues going on in 2020 are a direct result of the internet and not what's actually happening on the ground.

People are spending way too much time online, and it's warping their perception of reality.

Example 1, covid rejects- we all know covid is the issue of 2020. We keep hearing about the end times and how we need to quarantine indefinitely to "Stop the spread!" Meanwhile few on this board (or in real life for that matter) actually personally know anyone that has succumbed to covid. I'm sure there are some hospitals that have been pressured by this new virus, but with the virus' over 99% survival rate, it's safe to say people have taken this covid over reaction to new and unbelievable heights.

Example 2 Jim Crow redux rejects- with everyone being bored as fuck with nothing better to do than argue in the internet, it seems it's easy to get caught up in the new civil rights (lol) movement.

Over the last several months we have been force fed a handful videos of "police brutality." Although a few I personally find disturbing, most of them I see as clear cut cases of cops who can't fight trying to arrest people with entitled attitudes that don't know how to listen. None that I've seen have a racial element to them at all, with several of the police in question actually being minorities themselves.

Furthermore, when you actually google the numbers police slayings (justified or not), they are quite frankly, almost non existent compared to the population as a whole.

Basically getting hemmed up by the law is only probable if you are consistently pressing the boundaries of the law. And this is coming from a guy that has skirted the boundaries of the law his entire life.

And that's not to say I agree with most of the laws we have, but that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is also not about coming in here and arguing with me about the existence or the scope of the pandemic (lol) or the new civil rights movement (lol). If you want to argue that these two non issues (IMO) are actually the greatest issues facing our country then start your own thread and call me out there.

This thread is about seeing these sensational headlines and videos online, and then going out into the world and conducting yourself as if these issues are directly effecting your day to day program. How do we get people to separate their personal sphere from their online sphere?

Can it be done? Should it be done? Can we get your average dummy to understand that what's going on in his phone isn't necessarily what's going on outside his bedroom window?

You don't know 100 people?

Never said they don't exist, I simply pointed out the obvious truth, that these issues don't exist for 99% of the population.

The actual statistics show this to be the case for both issues I'm referring too.
You need to be more specific than just listing actual non refutable statistics. You need to add some hyperbole, some TDS speak and call someone a racist

The forums and social media thrive off of hyperbole and hyperbolic reaction to said hyperbole. That being said, with the general public adverse to reading and reasoning, I see meme culture and TikTok as having surpassed reason by this point and we are all on a downward spiral to Wall-E-Esque humans in 25 years

What's 1% of 400 million.
Its still not enough to justify messing up the worlds economy, destroying people's lively hoods. Especially when you consider there are far more causes of death that kill way more people than covid-19, that no one is talking about having covid style responses to. The government told you to be scared and so you are. Nothing else to see here really imo.

Definitely leads to some radicalization. I think people still aren’t use to the internet yet. We haven’t even had a full generation alive with it yet and I think it takes a self correction or two for people to understand how to use it. Part of it isn’t really the internet itself but how people gather information and learn. A couple decades back, the routes for this were smaller and more centralized. Now they are vast and hard to properly trust or vet. With that said, it shouldn’t take a lot for some moron to see a Facebook post and at least check what the source it before believing it. I have trouble being sympathetic to that type of stupidity.

Its still not enough to justify messing up the works economy, destroying people's lively hoods. Especially when you consider there are far more causes of death that kill way more people than covid-19, that no one is talking about having covid style responses to. The government told you to be scared and so you are. Nothing else to see here really imo.
<TrumpWrong1>

The issue isn’t whether the content on the internet is real or not, the issue is being able to assess information critically.

So let’s take the OPs example of C19: the survival rate of 99.9% is meaningless, because that’s the total population survival rate. Yes, of course the survival rate is practically 100% for the younger segment of the population, but for ages 70 and up, it’s more like 70-80%.

Or take what’s happening with the US election: there are a lot of people who currently believe that the election was stolen. They believe this because Trump told them so in the early morning hours in November 4th, and that’s sparked a steady trickle of bullshit (eg sharpie gate, the live feeds, tabulation software, etc).

A very significant segment of society doesn’t seem to be able to apply a very simple test when they’re viewing information: is the information supported by evidence? What are the implications if the information is true? How likely is it to be true?

Preventing AI on social media but that's impossible at this point. AI-driven algorithms are at the root. Holding social media companies to the fire and somehow preventing anonymity might help.

Why? I'm not going to change your mind. The facts are out there and reported ad nauseum and you ignore them.

that's great!
Yeah they are and covid-19 according to the facts is no more or less dangerous than the virus/bacteria that have been around already. So why are we pretending that the world is still at risk of a medieval level plague?

Why? I'm not going to change your mind. The facts are out there and reported ad nauseum and you ignore them.

that's great!
Yeah they are and covid-19 according to the facts is no more or less dangerous than the virus/bacteria that have been around already. So why are we pretending that the world is still at risk of a medieval level plague?

You need to be more specific than just listing actual non refutable statistics. You need to add some hyperbole, some TDS speak and call someone a racist
Why are you being racist?

I don't know anyone personally that has died of covid-19. So in my personal sphere the survival rate is still 100%

Have 100 people had it in your personal sphere?

Have 100 people had it in your personal sphere?
Not even close, maybe around 10 people have tested positive that I know. Including a 76 year old overweight man with high blood pressure, diabetes, and a history of respiratory problems

Not even close, maybe around 10 people have tested positive that I know. Including a 76 year old overweight man with high blood pressure, diabetes, and a history of respiratory problems

Lets see what happens when you hit 100.

I'm 0/3 at the moment.

I don't understand what you're trying to say

Basically that if there's a 1% chance of death and you know 100 people then that means someone you know is going to die if that percentage is correct.

Back