How do we teach people that the internet is not real life?

MaxMMA

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seems to me that a lot of the issues going on in 2020 are a direct result of the internet and not what's actually happening on the ground.

People are spending way too much time online, and it's warping their perception of reality.

Example 1, covid rejects- we all know covid is the issue of 2020. We keep hearing about the end times and how we need to quarantine indefinitely to "Stop the spread!" Meanwhile few on this board (or in real life for that matter) actually personally know anyone that has succumbed to covid. I'm sure there are some hospitals that have been pressured by this new virus, but with the virus' over 99% survival rate, it's safe to say people have taken this covid over reaction to new and unbelievable heights.

Example 2 Jim Crow redux rejects- with everyone being bored as fuck with nothing better to do than argue in the internet, it seems it's easy to get caught up in the new civil rights (lol) movement.

Over the last several months we have been force fed a handful videos of "police brutality." Although a few I personally find disturbing, most of them I see as clear cut cases of cops who can't fight trying to arrest people with entitled attitudes that don't know how to listen. None that I've seen have a racial element to them at all, with several of the police in question actually being minorities themselves.

Furthermore, when you actually google the numbers police slayings (justified or not), they are quite frankly, almost non existent compared to the population as a whole.

Basically getting hemmed up by the law is only probable if you are consistently pressing the boundaries of the law. And this is coming from a guy that has skirted the boundaries of the law his entire life.

And that's not to say I agree with most of the laws we have, but that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is also not about coming in here and arguing with me about the existence or the scope of the pandemic (lol) or the new civil rights movement (lol). If you want to argue that these two non issues (IMO) are actually the greatest issues facing our country then start your own thread and call me out there.

This thread is about seeing these sensational headlines and videos online, and then going out into the world and conducting yourself as if these issues are directly effecting your day to day program. How do we get people to separate their personal sphere from their online sphere?

Can it be done? Should it be done? Can we get your average dummy to understand that what's going on in his phone isn't necessarily what's going on outside his bedroom window?

Tell me about it, it’s fucked up. The worst is the “for the lolz” dumbfucks. As in:
“I’d love to see an entire election overturned for the lolz.” These coddled little babies are so used to being comfortable that they don’t understand that things like this can upend the foundation of government and cause mass chaos and violence. When shit like this happens in other nations, civil war and anarchy is often the result. These are not things that typically bring “lolz.”

Last edited:
Teach them to turn their phones, tablets and PC's office TS.

The internet is a place of extremes. Everything is either the worst or the best. It’s the only way to get any kind of attention.

Just look at user reviews for games or movies. It’s either a 1 or a 10. No one is reading anything in the middle.

I don't think you can do it. The digital world is so addictive and too many people are way too deep into it. It is probably more real than real life to those people. As a parent, the best I can do is limit the time my son spends online so he doesn't grow up to be a retard, at least not while he's under my roof. Having control of digital reality is maybe the strongest weapon one could have in today's world and it's scary how you can manipulate the millions.

A "COVID is overblown" guy trying to explain what "real life" is.
This is not the thread for debating whether or not a virus with a 99% survival rate is something we should all be panicking about, wrecking the economy, and causing more death, abuse and stride than the actual virus itself. Keep the discussion on topic please.

I don't think you can do it. The digital world is so addictive and too many people are way too deep into it. It is probably more real than real life to those people. As a parent, the best I can do is limit the time my son spends online so he doesn't grow up to be a retard, at least not while he's under my roof. Having control of digital reality is maybe the strongest weapon one could have in today's world and it's scary how you can manipulate the millions.
I do think it’s possible to teach kids how to think critically and determine facts from nonsense. Hopefully schools start putting a big emphasis on critical thinking skills or we’re all in trouble.

The internet is real life now man. It is built into everything we do know. They have created a society where we need it to survive and they can take it away in an instant.

You cant. subconsciously your brain interprets online conflicts as a real conflict with 0 repercussions. You inevitably spend more time online than in person, because it will illicit a satisfactory response similar to in-person interaction, but with less effort.

The internet just exposed the toxic thoughts people always had, but were just too afraid to say in public. The internet offers a false sense of security for people to let loose. And we aren't going back, unfortunately

COVID patients' capacity to overwhelm regional hospital resources shows you're a moron.
Oh yeah... like when NYC sounded the alarms and a giant Navy infirmary ship docked and wasn’t needed.

Hospitals in inner cities have been at capacity for years with gun violence. Yet Democrats haven’t stopped the push on keeping death rates up

Back