How do vegans get their protein?

onlinewarrior**

White Belt
Reaction score
I remember when I went vegan, and I lost 40 pounds and started looking like a 16 year old (I was about 20 all those years ago). So all you vegans out their how do you get your protein, iron etc?

Beans?

Not a vegan, just my assumption.

Beans, pulses (like lentils), seitan, tempeh, tofu, quinoa, tvp, etc.

If you supplement there are hemp and brown rice based powders available.

Almost any vegan shouldn't have a problem getting enough protein as long as they are paying attention to their diet and not eating crap.

i have not been able to find any material to substantiate this but i truly believe there's more to eating meat than just protein. sure you can get the same amount of protein through greens, nuts, supplement, etc. but there is something in meat that gives you that edge. i'm going vegetarian right now because i'm not as active lately and my calorie intake with meat is too much and i'm starting to gain fat. i'm only surfing. but when i'm very active i need meat. sure, people can run and do marathons as a vegan, even mma. but how many high level football players are vegans? how many mma champs are vegans?

You can get enough protein from vegetarian sources. Protein requirements are grossly overstated IMO. My wrestling coach gets by on 10% of total calories and is strong as a bull. He is vegan btw.
I personally eat lots of wild caught fish - 1 pounds is already 90 grams of natural protein, throw some nuts and even veggies and you are fine.

You can get enough protein from vegetarian sources. Protein requirements are grossly overstated IMO. My wrestling coach gets by on 10% of total calories and is strong as a bull. He is vegan btw.
I personally eat lots of wild caught fish - 1 pounds is already 90 grams of natural protein, throw some nuts and even veggies and you are fine.

do tell why.

vegans obviously wouldnt be eating fish either.

Last edited:
we consume human flesh...only when consensual of course

People really underestimate vegetables. By calorie most veggies actually contain more protein than meat. Also people don't know that heat kills roughly half the protein in meat, so if your pack of meat says 20 grams of protein, it's actually 10 after cooking.

Eg. you'll get more protein from 300 calories of broccoli than from 300 calories of meat. The only problem is managing to eat the massive amount of broccoli. Good thing juicers were invented.

People really underestimate vegetables. By calorie most veggies actually contain more protein than meat. Also people don't know that heat kills roughly half the protein in meat, so if your pack of meat says 20 grams of protein, it's actually 10 after cooking.

Eg. you'll get more protein from 300 calories of broccoli than from 300 calories of meat. The only problem is managing to eat the massive amount of broccoli. Good thing juicers were invented.

I think you went a bit too far, but yeah... You can get protein from vegetables, just need to eat a lot of them.

:icon_excl
do tell why.

vegans obviously wouldnt be eating fish either.
Increases inflammation , causes allergies, poorly digested.
It's a powder made in a lab, enough said.

I am not a vegan so I eat fish and grass fed eggs. To be honest occasional wild meat is fine too in my books.

I am not a vegan so I eat fish and grass fed eggs. To be honest occasional wild meat is fine too in my books.

lol what the fuck are you talking about

What's the point of eating grassfed eggs when you're eating corn-fed, farmed fish with artificial coloring?

lol what the fuck are you talking about

What's the point of eating grassfed eggs when you're eating corn-fed, farmed fish with artificial coloring?

Take a fucking guess.

^ a b c Nutrition Working Group of the International Olympic Committee (2003). "Nutrition for Athletes". IOC Consensus Conference on Nutrition for Sport. Lausanne
Google for inflammation and allergies.

I eat wild caught salmon.

whey and casein protein is found in milk. is milk bad for you? you realize that the inflammation is in people that are allergic to milk?

you realize that protein powders are easily digested? (easier than the meat you are eating even.) fish oil pills are made in a lab, are those bad for you?

you spout a lot of bad info around here. youre the same guy who was all whacked out on an IF diet, was just telling people how there is no healthy bread, and also the guy who makes a thread about the new fad diet left and right.

Take a fucking guess.

^ a b c Nutrition Working Group of the International Olympic Committee (2003). "Nutrition for Athletes". IOC Consensus Conference on Nutrition for Sport. Lausanne
Google for inflammation and allergies.

I eat wild caught salmon.

I'm sure.

And you said "Protein requirements are grossly exaggerrated"

You can meet your Protein requirements without powder.
And PUO already pointed out the hole in your statement about it being bad for you because it's "Made in a lab"

Tylenol is made in a lab, it's not bad for you.

Go google a way to make a valid point and stop listening to your vegan coach.

I'm sure.

And you said "Protein requirements are grossly exaggerrated"

You can meet your Protein requirements without powder.
And PUO already pointed out the hole in your statement about it being bad for you because it's "Made in a lab"

Tylenol is made in a lab, it's not bad for you.

Go google a way to make a valid point and stop listening to your vegan coach.[/QUOTE

To argue with you I would have to spend several hours researching university's databases.

What, you really can't believe I eat wild caught salmon..?
When a child is growing, all he eats is mother's milk.... which has 1.1 grams of protein per 100 grams ( actually i thought its 6%), and thats when we grow the most. Why on earth do you think we suddenly need to consume so much protein? And if you want to argue - well, fine - link me a proper study that shows the protein requirements for adults, and is not based on a study about 12 college students.
http://www.drbass.com/howmuchprotein.html

Bread is just carbs with not a lot of minerals or nutrients left. It has been proven to decay teeth even in little kids, it is made out of wheat or other grains, that not all humans can properly digest and quite a lot are allergic too.
Not to mention heavy use of pesticides or the flour kept in poor conditions for a long time, or high heat that is needed to bake the bread. Please show me the health benefits of eating bread, as opposed to eating vegetables for example.

And milk.. what seriously ?
Here is Herbert Shelton's article on milk, while, yes, its not 100% accurate, it sums up nicely with what is wrong with milk. Did he mention extensive use of artificial hormones in milk industry? Please let me know if not.
http://chestofbooks.com/health/chil...-Children/Cow-s-Milk-Part-2.html#.UPh78fLhfxk
http://chestofbooks.com/health/chil...dren/Chapter-XII-Cow-s-Milk.html#.UPh8PfLhfxk

Again, bodybuilding has influenced science of nutrition way too much. Yes, there are supplements that may help - Vitamin D - we dont get enouhg sunlight, probiotics, Fish oil ( to level out the balance between omega=6 and omega-3 ). You don't need most supplements. Remember how many myths were busted in recent years.

Last edited:
you are officially not worth responding to. thank you for saving me 10-15 minutes in a lengthy post to tell you how everything you wrote is completely fucking retarded.

good luck with your next fad diet and gaining 80 pounds while working out 3-4 times a week.

you are officially not worth responding to. thank you for saving me 10-15 minutes in a lengthy post to tell you how everything you wrote is completely fucking retarded.

good luck with your next fad diet and gaining 80 pounds while working out 3-4 times a week.

Bro, you should be working out 6 times a week if you want real gains.

..what a dramatic keyboard warrior we have here ).
Exactly what I expected. Thanks god, I decided not spend several hours of my time on university's database to argue with you, although I regret spending 15 minutes on links.

What i eat right now has been working out so far. Getting out of shape is possible with hard training - roy nelson, shaq and etc.
So yeah.. good luck with your western diet and protein shakes. The climbing rates of various cancers and diseases shows how good it is.

Last edited:
tell me more. youre clearly educated on these topics and you dont contradict yourself in every post.

I thought if you eat enough fats you don't need fiber, oh, and concerning Splenda and stevia - they seem to have calories in them and quite a lot, bodybuilders seem to avoid them, as well as diet sodas and sugar alcohols, I was hoping to eat an Atkins bar once in a while - should I not?

Diet : no solids, 500-1000 milk, 1-2 cheat drinks e.g. chiller or frappucino - generally aimed below 900 calories.
Supps : fish oil, vitamins triple doses, EC stack - 16-24 mg once a day with coffee.
After Uni - big salad with some chicken or other protein/eggs etc. Or a dairy products.

so you drink that evil milk and take stuff that was made in labs?

As weird as it sounds I have been chewing on these capsules like a snack. I like the taste of fish oil, and the capsules can be chewed like a chewing gum... Tasty too.
It really curbs hunger, but I am concerned if there are any downsides.
10-20 capsules for the last 3 days per day.

wait a fucking minute....protein powders?
Strange I thought Sherdog generally approves of low-carb diets.
I have read several books on nutrition so far and pretty much everything he says makes sense.

Eat veggies, a bit of fruit, and lots of protein and healthy fat from all from organic sources. Compensate for lack of sun exposure in modern days wiith vitamin d supplements. Compensate for modern food with multi and eat some protein powders to save on rather expensive organic meat. Aim for 50 to 100 grams of carbs to lose weight ( mild ketosis ) Don't watch calories.
Do sprints , and be active all day with occasional weight-lifting.

Thats pretty much it. Whats there to dislike again?

oh, and now its evil again.
Well, there are a lot of examples of vegetarians succeeding in sports and being healthy and happy. And there is more and more evidence that keto diets are viable in long term.

"optimal" could vary from person to person, or maybe if you spend long time on a certain diet it will become optimal for you.

As long as you avoid today's food like milk, cereals and etc. that is.

For me veggies, fruits, fish and wild meat is the way to go.

Last edited:
Back