How do these Full Time BJJ Competitors Live

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Sexy Pants, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

For instance the Miyao's. They do a shit ton of IBJJF comps all over, where do they get cash? Plane, Hotel etc...

How about all those Atos guys:
    Hinger
    Carb

I'm just wondering? Kids classes can't be a 40k a year gig can it?

2. fanboysareevil

fanboysareevil Green Belt

The Miyaos are big enough that they're probably sponsored fairly well. A lot of mid level guys have help or are living like paupers.

3. Sexy Pants

Sexy Pants Blue Belt

Would you have any idea what that would come out to in like a yearly?

They must get tons of shit free. Housing etc....

4. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

even the guys at Atos aren't making anything more than a "wee" bit of spending money outside of housing, food and travel expense. Same goes for the guys at Marcelos or any other competitive team. They aren't exactly living the "life". You mentioned 40k in a prior post. They aren't even coming close to 40k. I bet majority of those guys aren't even making 10K a year outside of their living expenses. And a lot of them aren't getting "tons of free shit". If you are sponsored by a gi company, you might get a gi a year, unless you are in the top tier list in the competitive scene.

Unless you are doing a shit ton of seminars you aren't really making much. Competition itself doesn't garner you much cash unless you are consistently winning something like Abu Dhabi. Most cash prize competition might be 10k and that's if you win it. (and that might even be a high figure)
    And the ones who are making decent money are the ones with their own school.
    The ones who are making good money are the ones with a school and a lot of affiliates.

The guys who are training full time and competing all the time.. they aren't doing it for money. they are doing it because they love it.

5. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

^I"m sure they're also doing it because if they have a successful enough competition career, they can one day open their own schools and run more seminars. I think you could say that they're doing it for the money. Just not the front end money.

6. Aprentice

Aprentice Blue Belt

Dont you think that, besides the love, they are also doing it to have make a name in the sport and to have more chances of success when opening an academy in the future? so, indirectly, for money?

Edit - dmwalking said what I was going to say above

7. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

I'm sure top level guys get sponsorship and support. But the 19 year old full time blue belts? I'm guessing mommy and daddy

8. the heed

And how many black belt competitors have schools? Not as much as you think they do.
    Sure a lot of them are trying to be successful to eventually open an academy, but if you look at all the black belt competitors, unless you are world champion level competitor or have sufficient funding from someone, they don't have schools. Or the ones with crappy business sense ends up closing up their school as its a super competitive field.
    A lot of them are not well off and making money to retire on, they are living pay check to pay check.

9. chunglii

chunglii No Me Duele Staff Member Senior Moderator

Don't the Miyaos live at their academy and sleep on the mats? Big time sponsorships can go a long way when you live frugally and simply. And running a burgeoning world class BJJ school.

10. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

ive always assumed if you have big names like that, their gyms are pretty successful money makers.

11. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

Playbwaaaiiiis

12. lts5025

lts5025 "What the **** is a Dim Mack?"

Having your own academy is no guarantee of success. Most guys that own academies aren't exactly rolling in it.

13. JustTheTip

JustTheTip Green Belt

The Miyaos- Seminars,living frugally, and sponsorships.Below BB? Mommy and Daddy,roomates,side jobs like teaching classes/personal trainer/working security/student. In my observations,other than BB sponsorships are more for ego than anything else. I know guys that have won worlds and they just got product and registration fee paid for.

14. yetanother

yetanother Black Belt

Aren't the Miyaos sponsored to some extent by Unity Jiu Jitsu?

15. the heed

truth right there.

These guys aren't training 2-3 times a day 6 days a week for riches.

16. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Halloween Belt Platinum Member

Pun intended?:icon_lol:

17. Bayonet

Bayonet Blue Belt

They probably live like university students. Fairly bare bones living expenses, majority of money raised goes toward their studies. That lifestyle is doable if you're chasing something you really want, as guys like the Miyaos likely are.

18. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

How many of those black belts are full time BJJ players? I know a lot of black belt competitors that still work full or part time jobs.

True, but if you have a successful competition career, the odds are that you'll have a successful gym as long as you're not business illiterate. You can also book plenty of seminars. And even if you're not rolling in it, it's a great feeling to make a good living wage just doing what you love. I know a guy who only makes about $45k per year. The only thing he hates about it is the paperwork. LOL. Other than that, he's not rolling in it, but he's having a blast in life.

Full time BJJ players at black belts that won the worlds and they're not making a living wage?

19. Byrd

Byrd Blue Belt

They also probably make $100-$500 a week in privates and personal training. $250 a week for a year is $13,000 tax free.

20. Aprentice

Aprentice Blue Belt

I think that having your own relatively successful school has more to do with where you put it, your advertising, your people/business skills etc. Obviously capital is needed to start, but i think that it can be a reasonably healthy small business. Having a name in the sport helps, but isnt really necessary if you are a legit black belt.

If you are an intelligent person with good managing skills and business instinct, AND you have a name in the sport, then you can actually make good money with jiu jitsu. But its hard to have all those things together. Dont you think?