How do sports psychology books help?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by WrestlingNerd, Apr 12, 2008.

1. WrestlingNerd

WrestlingNerd Green Belt

I've heard before that sports psychology books can really make you a better athlete/grappler (I wrestler). How do they do this? I wanna know if they're worth trying out cause I'm really trying to get any edge I can to be a state champion next year. (especially when I only got 5th at sectionals this year):redface:

2. spirez

spirez Purple Belt

3. WrestlingNerd

WrestlingNerd Green Belt

Thanks.
    I assume that book is in the states right?

And in what way does it make you think differently about competition? Tips on how to get more aggressive think a match is the end all be all, that kinda stuff?

Like how did they help you/other people?

4. sambosteve

sambosteve Purple Belt

I like big psych books because I can hit my students with them when they don't listen to me...

Seriously, books are good for tips, maybe a new perspective or outlook, etc. But, like most psych books or self-help books, they do very little for people in the long run. You need to have a coach who is educated in sport psych, motivational techniques, etc. Tough to do on your own. It is always better when someone else is craking the whip :)

5. JRT6

JRT6 Black Belt

"The Mental Edge" by Kenneth Baum changed my life. Not only did it teach me how to get focused during sports but I use the techniques in life as well. When I'm about to have a freak out over something stressful the self calming techniques I learned are now automatic and don't usually require forethought.