How do sports psychology books help?

WrestlingNerd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've heard before that sports psychology books can really make you a better athlete/grappler (I wrestler). How do they do this? I wanna know if they're worth trying out cause I'm really trying to get any edge I can to be a state champion next year. (especially when I only got 5th at sectionals this year):redface:

Thanks.
I assume that book is in the states right?

And in what way does it make you think differently about competition? Tips on how to get more aggressive think a match is the end all be all, that kinda stuff?

Like how did they help you/other people?

I like big psych books because I can hit my students with them when they don't listen to me...

Seriously, books are good for tips, maybe a new perspective or outlook, etc. But, like most psych books or self-help books, they do very little for people in the long run. You need to have a coach who is educated in sport psych, motivational techniques, etc. Tough to do on your own. It is always better when someone else is craking the whip :)

"The Mental Edge" by Kenneth Baum changed my life. Not only did it teach me how to get focused during sports but I use the techniques in life as well. When I'm about to have a freak out over something stressful the self calming techniques I learned are now automatic and don't usually require forethought.

Back