How do professional boxers train?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by wildcard_seven, Jul 12, 2005.

1. wildcard_seven

wildcard_seven Purple Belt

Those fuckers are in good shape. Better, I would wager, than 99% of your MMA and kickboxing guys.

2. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

actually you'd be wrong. The VO2 max of kickboxers is regularly better than that of boxers.

edit: I'd actually like to retract this statement since I'm unable to substatiate it. I beleive I read it somewhere but I can't find my source. I'll keep looking but until then, best to beleive it's false.

3. 007

007 License to Kill

i want to say wrestlers are more enduranced trained but I am no professional on this topic.

4. Nanthony

Nanthony White Belt

I believe Rocky Musicano, a legendary boxer in the earlier 1900's (?), used to train in water up to his neck.

5. Chad Hamilton

Chad Hamilton Amateur Fighter

Who's Rocky Musicano?

6. RobT

RobT Purple Belt

I think people assume boxers are in better condition than MMA fighters due to appearance only. Fact is, the weight limits in boxing are far tighter and it makes sense for them to get into the lowest they can so they all tend to cut as much as possible.

You can't really tell what someone's cardio is like just from appearance, otherwise bodybuilders would be the best conditioned people around.

7. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

No but you can tell cardio by who can fight ten or more rounds and who can't. Of course there are variables, but the only weight class in boxing where fat guys don't routinely get their asses kicked because they're fat is the heavyweight division, and even then it happens a lot.

8. RobT

RobT Purple Belt

Yeah, but there is no way to compare them on that. MMA fighters do 3-5 5min rounds of MMA. Boxers do 4-12 3min rounds of boxing. So unless you take the guys to the gym then there is no way to compare.

You can compare boxers to boxers to see who has the best cardio, and you can do the same with MMA fighters, but you can't do it between the two based on them competing in seperate events.

9. Nanthony

Nanthony White Belt

Whoops. Apparently his name is Rocky Marciano. I dunno how I came up with Musicano.

10. slayer36

slayer36 Blue Belt

where has the vo2 of kickboxers been shown to be regularly better then boxers?

11. RobT

RobT Purple Belt

Also, as some one will no doubt assume, I will just point out that I am not saying MMA fighters have better cardio than boxers. Just saying that you can't tell by physiques, and you can't directly compare the two sports because they are different.

12. Sinister

I don't know. 2+ 2 = a guy with a well-conditioned body has better cardio than a guy who is either flabby or just very lean. Of course there are cases that could be argued otherwise, but as a general rule of thumb, a guy who looks more conditioned (not necessarily muscular) is more conditioned.

13. wildcard_seven

Wow, really. Where did you learn that?

14. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

I'd actually like to retract my statement since I'm unable to substatiate it. I beleive I read it somewhere but I can't find my source. I'll keep looking but until then, best to beleive it's false.

15. CANADIANFIGHTCLUB

CANADIANFIGHTCLUB Brown Belt

stand up shape and ground "in shape" are DIFFRENT!!!

16. vigilante90210

vigilante90210 Blue Belt

he said it right there.....thats what makes getting in shape for MMA harder since there is so much more to train for, grappling and standup cardio are two different worlds

17. bigdoggg

bigdoggg Yellow Belt

End of discussion

18. wildcard_seven

How so? Stand up shape and ground shape are different? So if I squat, run, do pushups, jump rope that won't translate to good shape in either field? Ricky Hatton is going to get wore out rolling on the mat with me? WTF ever. Yes you need to have specific training, but at higher levels, good shape is just good fucking shape. So a A level kickboxer like Mirko Crocop had to drastically alter his training so he could keep his wind with his training partners on the mat? His awesome conditioning shriveled up like superman exposed to kryptonite on the floor? If anything thats a rest compared to the constant pace he had to keep in K-1=the key is are you comfortable being on the ground, otherwise you will be tensing muscles unecessarily. You don't need to go out and do grappling pushups, jiujitsu squats, and judo running to get in shape for groundwork.

19. bigdoggg

bigdoggg Yellow Belt

HUH?? They are two totally different worlds mma guys work more on everything boxing trainers work more on one specific thing ect this is where we come to the question of if a mma guru was to switch to boxing which would win.. And we all know what would happen the other way round..

20. Sinister

I hate it when people who have obviously only trained in one thing and have a biased opinion of that thing, attempt to explain the ins-and-outs of another thing.