How do power punchers spar?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People who rely on power to win? I mean they can work on other things when sparring but in the end they still need to prepare for a fight on which they rely on their power but the risk of damage or injury especially long term seems pretty high

People who rely on power to win? I mean they can work on other things when sparring but in the end they still need to prepare for a fight on which they rely on their power but the risk of damage or injury especially long term seems pretty high

You dont train or spar for power, its there. The form is the same. That being said, depending on the camp, most pro fighters spar pretty damn hard, and its not uncommon to have sparring partners getting knocked down. So to answer the question, the exact same as everyone else.

Last edited:
I think he means power punchers are generally at a disadvantage when sparring unless they spar really hard because their style is based around their punches having an immediate effect and sometimes they lack skill in certain areas because they never had to bother learning technique that other fighters had to learn to be effective

They just hit hard. just hope the other guy is safe and skilled enough to avoid or take the power shots.

No differently than anyone else.

You here stories all the time about guys who are known for hitting hard leveling their training partners and being called assholes. I think it's probably a combo of the fact it's hard to turn it off and still spar somewhat realistically and the fact that a lot of powerful guys are kind of bullies. Like Pat Barry seems like a nice guy, but no one ever wanted to spar with him because he was kicking the shit out of people (from what we've heard, who knows how true anything is.)

A power puncher who relies on his power is setting himself up for trouble.

A power puncher who relies on his power is setting himself up for trouble.

Even the guys that don't rely on it can't necessarily turn it off though, and just be some technique wizard with no power.

I used to train with an NFL linemen who weighed over 400 pounds. REALLY nice guy who didn't like hurting other people to the point he was a terrible striker. Yet every time he jabbed anyone, their face would just explode in blood.

On a similar note, I was working some technique drills with a guy that was smaller than me. We thought it would be fine since we were going in relative slow motion and using 0 percent power. I wasn't even making a fist, but after a few jabs, he was all bloodied up. Now that isn't me being powerful, just bigger than him, but I think it illustrates the difficulty guys like Pat Barry have when they're trying to use only technique with no power.

There is also a video of Donald Cerrone accidentally KOing a fan completely out cold. I'm sure Cerrone wasn't trying to hurt someone who probably didn't even have an amateur record and wanted to get a video of himself sparring with his hero.

Totally long winded post that doesn't add much, but I am bored and felt like typing.

Depends on the guy, some guys I've sparred with can hit hard as shit but really pull their punches during sparring. Other guys start off light but just can't help but start throwing bombs halfway through a round.

No differently than anyone else.

I tend to be a bit of a power shot fighter. Sparring is sparring... you just dial down the intensity and work on your skills. You aren't fighting, you are cooperatively working and learning.

Some sessions devolve a little, and occasionally you blast a face or liver...

It's probably like when big guys spar smaller guys.

You can't match the out-put of a smaller guy or more active guy but you can train footwork, head movement, catches, blocks, feints and timing big punches without landing them hard.

Huh? There are plenty of big punchers in boxing who were technically fairly average, but did well because they hit like Mack trucks.

I heard in a documentary that Sonny Liston sometimes sparred with 20 ounce gloves and that his sparring partner had body protectors.

Basically you spar like everyone else and get all the same feedback.

When you fight it's really cool that they get worse with every shot landed and openings are all over the place. Then they dissappear.

You train for the opponent who is tough enough and skilled enough to remain.

I heard in a documentary that Sonny Liston sometimes sparred with 20 ounce gloves and that his sparring partner had body protectors.

Foreman saaid the only guys who ever made him box (as opposed to punch) were Ron Lyle and Sonny Liston (he used to spar with Liston)

Foreman boxed Lyle? That fight was like Rock 'Em Sock 'Em robots. Foremand boxed early against Chuvalo.

Back