How do low level fighters survive?

Some people have passion, fire and drive to make their dreams come true.

Other people calculate how much it would cost and let their girlfriend dictate their life.

Don't be a douche. He's making a valid point. Throw kids in the mix and it's even more valid.

Gabe Ruediger was famous?

I don't think so.

Sure, some people just settle for the mediocre life. Most people do that.

People who have the drive and will to chase something other then mediocrity are rare.

Kinda like that guy on the docudrama Bigger Faster Stronger who was still chasing that dream avoiding mediocrity and living out of his van???
I see what you are saying.:wink:

They still live at home with their parents.

You must have an easy job, no family, or just go right to sleep as soon as you get home then.

Work from 6am until 2:30 PM. Go to the gym for a couple hours, spend the rest of the day with family if you have one.

You all realize these guys don't train for more that 2-4 hours at a time even at a high professional level. JDS only trains about 2-3 hours a day.

so I ask this...why would a fighter wanna burn his hard earned cash on trying to fight? seems illogical to me. To make 3k per month busting your ass and spending half of it on everything to become a fighter to make 1500 every few months in a fight just seems financially counter productive. I dont see how any wife could stand and watch it...I know my woman wouldnt.

I'm sure the GSPs and Silvas didn't start out making Anderson Silva money. You have to make a few sacrifices to reach where you want to be.

Kinda like that guy on the docudrama Bigger Faster Stronger who was still chasing that dream avoiding mediocrity and living out of his van???
I see what you are saying.:wink:

That's the thing. I don't think you do. By the way you write I see major indications that you've never felt passion for anything.

Its not THAT hard to have a full time job and train 5 nights per week. I do it....

It's not exactly the best situation for a PROFESSIONAL athlete who's made it to the biggest stage in his sport to have to hold a second job to make ends meet. If the UFC really believes that they have the best fighters in the world, they should be getting paid enough to live off of. Gabe making 8k for a fight would mean that if he fought 3 times in the year, he'd make less than I do at Trader Joe's.

If the UFC really believes that they have the best fighters in the world, they should be getting paid enough to live off of.

This means they should have less fighters, not pay the lowest level fighters more.

Understandable...but some people look at the timetable and see that they are mid-late 20s still making peanuts so likely they didnt make it and bow out honorably instead of chasing pipe dreams well into their 30s and 40s.

Is money so important for you? Really?

Wasn't the bottom line 4k/4k in 2011? And isn't it now 8k/8k? Seems to be improving. They also offer health insurance and if they like you, Dana will buy you a nice gift (he bought Glover a pickup for kicking Page out of the UFC in style). In extreme situations like Dan Miller's son, they also pick up the tab.

I'm sure the GSPs and Silvas didn't start out making Anderson Silva money. You have to make a few sacrifices to reach where you want to be.

Yep. GSP was a garbageman and if you've seen early pics of Andy, you can tell he wasn't as well-fed as he is now.

That's the thing. I don't think you do. By the way you write I see major indications that you've never felt passion for anything.

You got me pal...I am not a very passionate individual...but I am very business oriented...and if it dont make $ it dont make

Wasn't the bottom line 4k/4k in 2011? And isn't it now 8k/8k? Seems to be improving. They also offer health insurance and if they like you, Dana will buy you a nice gift (he bought Glover a pickup for kicking Page out of the UFC in style). In extreme situations like Dan Miller's son, they also pick up the tab.

Yep. GSP was a garbageman and if you've seen early pics of Andy, you can tell he wasn't as well-fed as he is now.

I get what you guys are saying, but you are missing a very importante point that I made, both GSP and Andy were making real $$$ by their mid 20s, hence why it was a good business move to keep going. I dont understand these guys making nada well into their early 30s and not hanging it up.

we still in the dark age of mma, fighters living out of their honda civics, sharing houses, travelling by tour bus to the next ufc event etc.

Working the doors, bouncing, and some door supervisor jobs. Did i mention cooler?

Work from 6am until 2:30 PM. Go to the gym for a couple hours, spend the rest of the day with family if you have one.

You all realize these guys don't train for more that 2-4 hours at a time even at a high professional level. JDS only trains about 2-3 hours a day.

This. And if you work on your on is even better... you can take a few days free before the fight to rest and weightcutting.

Some have family money. ( BJ )
Some have full time jobs.
Some are national or regional celebs drawing in crowds to local shows and getting a %
Some are students getting by on student loans and part time jobs
Some run academies or have enough private lessons to support themselves
Some are good at marketing themselves and draw in sponsorships

Most are a combination of two or three of those

Back