How do "Injured fighters" pass medicals?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by RoyJonesJr, Sep 30, 2013.

1. RoyJonesJr

RoyJonesJr Carti Season

Do you they just say let me fight and the doctor agrees or what? With broken ribs or broken shoulder i'm surprised these guys are allowed to fight by doctors

2. Drake

Drake Guest

Yeah...fighters lie.

3. Lenovo

Lenovo White Belt

It's called a 'Physical'.

There is a difference between being 'hurt' and being 'injured'.

Fighters are always hurt coming into fights. But not the extent where they have to pull out. (In other words, they pass their physical).

If a fighter is injured, that means he cannot fight. An injury is longer term. (Something broken, torn etc.) -- That being said, fighters must overstate their injuries. You definitely have a point when you ask why doctor's let them fight.

Example of INJURED fighter: Dom Cruz

4. RoyJonesJr

RoyJonesJr Carti Season

A broken rib or shoulder seems pretty serious if you ask me. I know people who couldn't even move their arm with a broken shoulder. So if one fighter backs out because of a cut(Alex) but Pettis fights with a broken shoulder I'm wondering what the doctors say to him. I'm sure they don't just walk in and say is everything fine and then they leave.

5. LegioTitan

LegioTitan Guest

This has always irritated me as well. If you have a broken rib, I don't want to see you fight. Not only because you won't be at 100% but because I don't want anyone to... you know... die of something horrible like sepsis or a punctured lung or some such.

Every time I hear about a fighter having gone into a fight with a broken this or what I think to myself: "How is no one being fired for this gross negligence and endangerment??".

Can someone educate me here?

6. Lenovo

Lenovo White Belt

Like I said, they probably OVERSTATE it. There is no way a doctor lets them fight like that.

7. Tankeray

Tankeray The Progeny of Beast of Woe

omg this duh

8. Lenovo

Lenovo White Belt

Did you not read my post?

Do you really think a doctor (their personal one OR THE UFC DOCS WHO CONDUCT PHYSICALS) will let them fight like that? And if something happens... get sued??

Fighters definitely OVERSTATE their injuries.

I am so tired of using the word overstate in this thread. Haha:rolleyes:

9. LegioTitan

LegioTitan Guest

Oh yeah that totally gave me a rock-solid answer to my question. How did I over look that?

10. ajmonsta

ajmonsta Banned Banned

I fought last weekend and the pre fight physical consisted of checking my pulse, shining a light in my eyes and asking me a few questions so its not very hard to get by without them knowing about an injury.

11. INTERL0PER

INTERL0PER Brown Belt

Exactly. This is what I imagine the tests are like.

Perhaps at the UFC level they do slightly more, but I really doubt they put you through your paces or anything. The doctor is essentially relying on the fighter being honest about how he feels. So unless you have a bad case of Jon Jones Toe or something, you could get through it without letting anything on.

Yeah, a broken/bruised rib is painful, but unless there obvious physical signs, I'm certain a pro MMA fighter could easily mask the pain long enough to get approved by a doctor. I mean, how many times have we seen a fighter go through an entire FIGHT without it being obvious that he's got a serious injury?

12. Jackie Blue

Jackie Blue Silver Belt

Some injuries are more obvious than others. Doctors also are highly specialized and might not recognize everything. I once had a nagging reoccurring injury which caused me to miss work. In order to get clearance to work again, I had to go see a doctor that the company chose rather than my own doctor. I actually re aggravated the injury right before I went to see the doctor, but I thought I could work through it and wanted to get back to work, so I saw the doctor and he cleared me to work despite being injured. Eventually, I quit the job because I thought my reoccurring injury was too much to deal with while working that job. Fortunately, I recovered from the injury eventually and it's no longer an issue.

13. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming the pre-fight medicals are different from state to state depending on the athletic commission.
    Brian Foster failed his pre fight physical from a CT scan when he had a brain hemorrhage.

14. nimw

nimw Blue Belt

"Do you have any pains anywhere?"
    "No"

15. lsa

lsa Maître d' at The Pussy Lounge

I wonder how Tito made it through his... I mean with a cracked skull and all. That must be impossible to hide.

16. rpn453

rpn453 Brown Belt

"Broken" has degrees of severity. I think it could just mean a hairline fracture. I've had a hairline rib fracture from a BMX crash. Wasn't a big deal, though it certainly would have been more painful to be hit there. I suppose that's another good reason to keep it quiet before a fight.

You're also not going to do any permanent damage fighting with a small crack in a bone, so it's not a big concern for the medical.

A couple months ago MotoGP (top level motorcycle racing) world champion Jorge Lorenzo broke his collarbone during a high-side crash on a Thursday practice in the Netherlands, flew to Spain to have it bolted together with a plate and something like eight screws that night, then flew back to the Netherlands and raced on Saturday morning. The top three riders have all raced within a few days of a fairly serious fracture this year, and that's a very physically demanding sport with a lot of medical scrutiny and a lot higher potential for serious injury than MMA.

17. Bokelj

Bokelj Trigger central

Does this hurt? No

18. Unforgiven20

Unforgiven20 White Belt

If you're referring to Pettis with his "broken shoulder", the article I read said he separated his shoulder two weeks before the fight. Also seems convenient Silva once again pulled out the "hurt ribs" comment 3 months after the fight is over.

To me it seems disrespectful to your opponent to claim injury in victory or defeat after the fight is over.

19. Mavant

Mavant Blue Belt

The medical clearance is composed of 3 steps:

1) HISTORY. The doc asks about any complaints, problems, family history, social history, drugs, etc etc etc to his/her satisfaction. This is where fighters LIE or most likely don't report problems because they want to fight and not be medically held back.

2) PHYSICAL EXAM. The physical exam is usually a very basic one that focuses on the problems discovered based on the HISTORY above. If fighters lie and say they have no problems, the physical exam is very basic.

3) LABS. Docs will order only the most basic labs (ie blood and urine tests) unless something from HISTORY or PHYSICAL EXAM above raises suspicion. So if fighters don't speak up about broken ribs during the HISTORY and thus only the most basic PHYSICAL is done...docs will not randomly order a Chest X-Ray looking for fractures on every patient.
    ------

So fighters who lie or withhold the truth can often get medical clearance.

20. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

Haven't you all gotten a sports physical to compete in high school sports?
    It's not a thorough process.
    They don't put you through an MRI machine...
    I don't know how much more extensive a professional physical is, but doctors usually work based on what you tell them.