how do i teach my friend to stop with the guillotene?

where we are taught grappling at if you can submit the guy in the first 15 seconds with a guilotine we are taught to turn it into a neck crank. The only prob with the neck crank is it as easy to eascape as is the guilotine.

Is there a possibilty that you are not using the proper escape? I know the turning the chin in will buy you some time ... but that is not the escape.

good luck to you .... and if he is really your friend I would not start striking him or trying to cut him.

How about you teach him to do it correctly? Tell him to stop using the blade of his wrist to try and secure the guillotine. Instead do the most sensible thing to do (even though nobody thinks of it) GRAB THE CHIN. Too many people just try and stick their arm underneath the chin and then just crank up. The first arm is the most important part of the guillotine.

Instead of putting the blade of your forearm under the chin, grab the chin with your hand so that the bone of your thumb is in their throat and the rest of your fingers are gripping their face. Then comes the next most important part, make sure you keep your elbow extremely tight against your body as if you are trying to pop their head between your elbow and your obliques then just keep your weight over their back and ROTATE YOUR TUMB INTO THEIR THROAT once you secure it with your other arm. The rotation of the thumb bone into their throat is what finishes this guillotine, not the other arm pulling up. You just just use the other arm to secure them (sometimes you don't even need the other arm.)

I hope I explained this clearly enough as it is the true way to do a guillotine and is infinitely more effective then just trying to dig your arm under their neck.

stand up with him... unfold his legs and go for sideslam.

I'm no fan of the guillotine because it usually tires out the guy trying to apply it. I'll occasionally feign being caught in it, let the guy spazz trying to lock it for 3 minutes until he's gasping for breath, and take side control on my exhausted opponent.

I remember Eddie Bravo saying he did this once in competition to stall out his opponent -- pretending the guillotine was working, when it wasn't.

Back