How do I organize my journal?

Mucha Lucha

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently tore some cartilage in my knee. So while that is healing, I am taking notes in class. I did not take notes before, but I will surely continue to take notes in the future, they are obviously great for reference.

My biggest problem is how do I organize the journal? Each move can be used with multiple other moves that can be then used with multiple other moves. So how do I organize it into a book for easy reference?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas that have worked for them.

I'm in the process of creating a new notebook from my past notes as well. What I have found is that it is best (for me) to break everything down by position. In each position, you have 3 basic options, Pass, Sweep, or Submission. I find this more relevant when I go to review a technique. Originally I had the techniques broken down by the types (pass, sweep or sub) but this isn't particularly intuitive to use during a free roll period. For example, I roll with someone and get stuck on bottom with my partner on top in side control. I struggle and think to myself that I need to review my options for sweeps from bottom side of side control. It's now easy to find. I go to the side control section and then the sweeps subsection. It seems to work pretty well using the position as the base category and then the type of technique as the sub-category. The only notable exception to this methodology I have found is takedowns as they are essentially a category unto themselves.

I'm redoing the notebook in MS Word and hope to start including pictures and possibly even hyperlinks to youtube instructionals that show the technique in detail. I think this will help a lot for review. Plus, we have wireless access at our school so we can have the laptop up and running for quick reviews.

Hope that helps a little. :icon_chee

I've actually been thinking for a while that someone needs to start a BJJ wiki or some type of online database that is community driven as a free-to-all compendium of techniques that gives some detail on how to properly perform the technique along with user submitted videos and such. Unfortunately I don't have the time to do it, but I still think the idea has some merit.

I don't organize mine that much. Too much effort would keep me from doing it.

I make a log entry after each training session and/or competition.

I have a section that lists techniques, but that's probably going away because I don't keep up with it. I just enter the techniques in the daily log.

I have an area to keep track of high level trainers that I get to work with, and competitions I've been in.

In mother Russia, journal organize you!

Each move can be used with multiple other moves that can be then used with multiple other moves. So how do I organize it into a book for easy reference?

Not really. You can't go from an armbar into a butterfly sweep or a heel hook into a kimura so you could easily break the techs into positions; half guard, open guard, closed, mount etc.

Maybe number them? E.g. Technique 13 (scissor sweep). Then perhaps if there is a linked technique highlight it the notes like "if sweep fails refer to Technique 7 (loop choke)".

Back