Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Opinion how do i know if im a republican or a democrat?

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by babyjay, Sep 13, 2020.

1. kpt018 Gold Belt

If you have to qualify the point with "other than national defense", which is the biggest nut in the budget besides SS/medicare, they are in fact not the party of small government. It's especially true in the context of what that has meant for foreign policy in the last 30 or more years. What Republicans (notice this is different from right wing voters who actually like the left's policies in general) stand for is tax cuts, tax cuts, deregulation (as long is it saves rich people money) and more tax cuts. We don't need to spread the delusion that Republicans are principled and stand for something other than power and greed. The "states powers" nonsense was always a way to justify the goal of lowering taxes or stopping tax increases. The "small government" rhetoric was always bullshit.

Your errors here lead you to think both parties are equally bad, and that's a ridiculous conclusion.

2. kpt018 Gold Belt

I tend to like oversimplifications like this because it cuts through a lot of partisanship. Only delusional morons would pick Trump in that scenario.

3. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog Platinum Member

If you care about policy, you vote on the basis of parties exclusively (in general elections).

4. SpartanKhmy Purple Belt

Are you a hypocritical cunt or condescending asshole?

5. wbubbles Brown Belt

Both parties are currupted, yes. And i put what the parties are supposed to stand for. Dont get all emotional.

6. kpt018 Gold Belt

That's false and when you do say that you let the real crooks off the hook. Don't be lazy, do some work to figure out who is actually corrupt.

First, that is just a cop out. If you agree just say that next time and if you don't bring some real content.

Second, you didn't say that. Are we supposed to be mind readers? And what the fuck is the point of that? I know that's the bullshit line they feed people but we should take them for what they are and be skeptical about what they say they are. And again, you can't stand for a large, expensive military and say you're small government. It's an oxymoron. Libertarians, for all their stupidity, are the only ones who can make that claim.

There's a place for a center right party that, in good faith, is legitimately worried about what drastic change can do to society, institutions and our government in both the short and long term. But what we actually have is a party that wins purely based on tribalism and exists to gain power, cut taxes and appoint conservative judges. That's it, rinse and repeat. And when they lose it's back to square one - gain power (which means blocking dems from doing policy). The party is intellectually death and acting in total bad faith. You can argue Democrats are naive, full of shit or just plainly wrong about things, but they are attempting to make lives better. They're also less corrupt and more competent as a whole (primarily because they are acting in good faith and basing views on facts).

7. wbubbles Brown Belt

Op asked what makes a dem and what makes a republican. I tried to tell them in layman terms. And you get all weird and long in the tooth.

8. Higus Gold Belt

Fuel for the fire
    [​IMG]

Jack V Savage likes this.
  9. BForrester Brown Belt

What does "I believe in..." mean? Is there any question that capitalism, free speech, guns, or the death penalty don't exist?

You can do what a reasonable adult does and vote for the sum of all parts or the person whose stances or character most align with your own. You don't have to identify as left or right, you know...there is a middle ground, right?

I lean left, but I've voted for a number of republicans in the past. I've voted for a few Republican governors and Senate candidates. I'd have voted for McCain if he hadn't put that nutjob Palin on the ticket.

10. kpt018 Gold Belt

I know, I read the OP but your answer sucked and can lead the uninformed (which the TS admitted to) astray. You're also wrong that both parties are corrupt.

Long in the tooth? Lol

11. whaleshark Sherdog 4 Lyfe

Are you black from the waist down or waist up?

12. wbubbles Brown Belt

I dont think my answer sucked. I think people dont know what the parties are supposed to stand for anymore. And if you dont think both parties are currupt it shows you are either ignorant, disingenious, or new to politics. Are you a millennial?

13. blaseblah Steel Belt

That is not really true. For instance if your most important policy is being anti-war, it would depend on the candidate, not the party.

14. EndlessCritic Gold Belt

To vote for a party does not make you a part of the party.

15. Rocco Siffredi Purple Belt

if you are a cuck you are democrat

16. kpt018 Gold Belt

So you answer with a hypothetical instead of what they actually stand for? If the TS takes your response seriously he was totally mislead.

I'm 40 and follow politics closely. Another personal attack with no substance.

17. Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog Platinum Member

It is true. On the subject you mention, presidents in the same party will choose from among the same smallish pool of advisers and foreign policy staff, and will make decisions within a pretty narrow range (relative to the full range including both parties). And actually, foreign policy is the area where my point holds the weakest, as it's the area where Congress matters the least.

18. wbubbles Brown Belt

No i offered a more textbook definition. And so if youre that old is it ignorance or disingenuousness, then?

19. kpt018 Gold Belt

Why don't you illustrate why you think Dems are corrupt. Remember, you said the parties are equally corrupt, so we are not talking anecdotes. Otherwise kick rocks.

And for the record, it is not a text book definition to say Republicans are for small government.

20. wbubbles Brown Belt

Small fed govnt, yes they are. Im not writing pages to the op. This is an internet forum. If he wants to take a government class then he'll get more. And you dont think special interest controls the left?