How do I kill this annoying fat?

cgh

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Sherdog, help me out:

I've been trying to loose that dammed belly fat for a long time, but it seems impossible! I've been reading several of the sticky threads, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong -but I'm sure that there's something wrong.

I will list everything that I think is relevant about my diet/lifestyle:

My typical day is:
wake up, eat some cereal with milk, not much of either. Then I grab my bike and ride for around 50 minutes (20Km) to my office. My ride is middle intensity. If I do full intensity then I can't do train in the afternoon, nor work properly during the day. When I arrive I drink some chocolate milk (I read that it's a good post workout drink, due to its proteins, I hope it's true!) That's around 10 am. And of course a coffee. Then if I'm hungry I eat either yogurt or a fruit (usually a banana.)

Around 12.30 I go to lunch, and here my diet sucks: I go with my office-mates to the university canteen, which means that I can choose between fried stuff, pasta, bad (and very expensive) salads or some unknown stuff that taste to "I will regret eating this." So, I take pasta most of the time. I know that I shouldn't, but men, the options look worse.

Then during the day I eat a fruit or yogurt, usually is yogurt. And one or two cup of coffee (and I mean espresso.) Then at six I take some cereal.

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I leave the office at seven something and ride 10 K to the gym to train judo or BJJ.

After one and a half hours I ride another 10K to me room, drink some more chocolate milk and then I eat some more yogurt (yes, I eat a lot of yogurt.)

On the other days of the week I just ride the 20K back to my room and around 9 pm I eat some salads with tune. I tried to cut the bread, but since it didn't seem to work and I was getting really tired, now I just added bread again.

During the weekend I basically rest, ride some 20-40K during the whole weekend, swim a little and eat mostly fruit and salads.

Also, I drink a lot of water during the day, and a few times per week I drink some fruit juice, around 1-2 liters per week.

I cannot tell you the portions, since they vary with my mood and with how hard was the day. Trying to figure out a minus sign in your equations can take a lot of energy!

So that's my routine. Now, about me: I am 1.73 meters tall, and my weight goes between 69-74 kilos (usually 72). I've realized that when I go to some conference for a week and I don't train or do any sport and eat whatever is available, I go down to 67 Kg, which goes up again to 72 in two weeks. I don't know how much body fat I have, never measured it.

I've tried to eat less carbs in order to lose the extra fat. I cut almost all the bread from my diet, but now I'm really tired, so I'm thinking about eating bread again. Now I'm going to replace the cereal with porridge, but I'm not sure that the problem is there. Honestly, I feel very disappointed with my body: I do a lot of exercise, I train a lot, try to eat well, but still, that cursed belly fat is still there. I've changed my diet tons of times, but it seems impossible.

Last year I weighted 78-80Kg, I started eating more salads, less bread and stopped eating sugar. I went down to my current weight. But since then, nothing seems to improve my "look". It bothers me because I go to compete in the -73 in judo, and I feel that I'm given 4-5 kilos of advantage in fat. I wonder if I could go down to -66 or replace the fat for muscle.

Well, that's all I can tell, and if anyone has any tip, I would appreciate it a lot. If you need more info, just ask and I will provide it.

Saludos!

If it was just as simple as, eat less calories than you burn do you think half the planet would be fat as fuck like it is today? Do you really think they have never heard that advice before? If history has taught us anything it's that sweeping over simplified statements solve nothing and help no-one... well except the multi billion dollar diet industry that keeps em coming back for more.

It really is that simple. This is the physical solution to getting into shape. The mental problems people have with following such a solution are another matter.

Too much sugar in your diet...chocolate milk is loaded with it

1. Digesting overnight is bad for HGH production. May be bad for Testosterone production. Your stomach's fire is weakest at night, let it rest. Meat before bed is a no no since its the hardest (compared to vegetables) type of food to digest.

Fasting at night, say from 6pm to 6am is not a bad idea and will not lead to muscle loss.

Also you will sleep better and make more hormones going to sleep with slight hunger pangs. Also take into account the amount of plastics in your diet as these are SYNTHETIC ESTROGENS that leach into your water and food and mimic the effects of estrogen. A little research will confirm this to be true.

My anecdotal experience with sexual abstinence; It turns you into a beast in the gym and you feel like you have more testosterone even if people say its placebo. Might want to experiment with nofap and see if that helps your discipline with dieting etc. *FLAME*

2. Protein powder derived from whey is not good for your kidneys or liver. Eating a complete protein (meat or tofu) or a whole food source (say a combination of grains and nuts where all 12 or so amino acids are present to form a protein) is a healthy protein that provides antioxidants, vitamins and fats for all your health needs.

Bread does not need to exist in anyone's diet unless we are talking the Ezekiel bread.

Anything that is made from dough should be forgotten as a relic of a bygone age.

Good lord this is bad. Especially the sleep better at night with hunger pains comment, LOL!! It's not easy to sleep at night with hunger pains.

Dude it's your diet. It seems like you eat a lot of bad things. Cereal for breakfast is not good for you. Pasta every day is not good for you. Fried stuff all the time is not good for you.

Fruits and veggies to snack on throughout the day would be good for you. My lunch is a whole sliced avocado, 2 grilled chicken breasts, about an fl. oz of cut green jalapenos and about 2oz of feta cheese. My dinner is a lot of chicken, rice, and a usually a greek salad. I have a beer after dinner for dessert

My breakfast is a smoothie of frozen mangos, frozen berries, baby kale, greek yogurt, flax powder, chia seeds and apple juice. And lots of coffee. When I get to work I usually get a cheese and bacon croissant sandwich at Starbucks, as breakfast I feel is my only indulgence

Edit: I have a personal trainer, and am pretty fit/skinny/6-pack Almost no belly fat if I cut the beer and rice. Would post photos but I'm shy. I eat the same thing every day but I go out for Korean, Japanese, steaks and all day breakfast.

lol what he said. stop drinking the milk and fruit juice altogether and just drink plain water. if you want protein, eat chicken breast and other lean meats. your overall diet doesn't really make it seem like you are trying to lose any weight. and do some ab exercises while you're at it.

Cut calories, man. If you aren't losing weight, you are eating too many calories. Get a scale and measuring cups and everything (under $40), so you know exactly how much you are consuming. Some things might shock you, and can be holding you back.

If you're hungry, eat grilled zucchini with some salt and pepper and maybe garlic. very low calories, so you can eat a large amount of it to feel full.

Any supplements or anything like that, that you use to get weight off quickly, will probably just result in the weight coming back when you stop taking whatever it is. If your diet didn't change during that time, then why would your body just stay at a lower weight without the supplement?

The calories are really the best way to control bodyfat %. You'll be able to predict when you will hit your goal weight with very good accuracy. Get a smartphone app (LoseIt! is my recommendation since I used that one) and use that to know exactly how and why your body is behaivng the way it does in terms of weight. After a couple weeks of inputting your custom meals (easy with a simple google search), you'll have most of your usual foods stored on there, and it'll get easier over time.

shouldnt matter what he eats as long as hes within calories ranges obviously he would be healthier eating better food choices but at the end of the days weight loss is gonna depend on the calories

Without portion sizes, it's impossible to say how many calories that is, but it looks like this diet, and the amount of activity you do, isn't having you in a deficit so your weight is maintained. You'll likely need a deficit to lose weight and fat. To make absolutely sure you have one, you'd need to count the calories and estimate your energy expenditure. It doesn't seem like you want to do that, and it is quite a bit of work.

Instead, you could try to make some minor modifications. Eat a bit less, exercise a bit more, and see whether it does the trick after a few weeks. Some suggestions:

-don't drink any calories. no fruit juice, no chocolate milk no sugar, milk or cream in coffee (but surely you're not ruining your espresso with any of that anyway).
-non-plain joghurt can actually have quite a lot of calories. check if yours is particularly energy dense and replace some of it with plain yoghurt.
-based on my experience, porridge does indeed provide more satiation per unit of energy. you might be able to naturally eat less if you replace cereal with porridge
-Are you having pasta every day? There's nothing wrong with pasta every few days but depending on how it's prepared, it can have a huge amount of calories without being very satiating, leading to yet more fruit, yoghurt and chocolate milk in the afternoon. surely there are some chicken w veggies dishes
-do some basic strength training
-try and get better at riding your bike (using a heart rate monitor, power meter, time trials, or just avg speed. the important thing is to try and get better)

Too much sugar in your diet...chocolate milk is loaded with it

This is what I was thinking.

Chocolate milk and 1-3 liters of fruit juice per week (!) probably means your carbs are through the roof. On top of that you eat a lot the most carb-dense fruit, bananas AND pasta? Holy shit.

I'd cut those out completely. I'd also have straight black coffee (no sugar or cream. Zero-cal sweetners at most) in the morning and ride to work fasted. Have low-sugar yogurt or whatever at work.

A lot of bogus info in here.

"Cereal for breakfast is not good for you. Pasta every day is not good for you."

Ts, without portion sizes, there's no way for us to help you. Also, your diet is high in dairy. If you have minor lactose intolerance, you will feel bloated which could give off the feeling / appearance that you're not losing anything.

My suggestion; track everything so we can provide a better suggestion.

Sherdog, help me out:

I've been trying to loose that dammed belly fat for a long time, but it seems impossible! I've been reading several of the sticky threads, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong -but I'm sure that there's something wrong.

I will list everything that I think is relevant about my diet/lifestyle:

My typical day is:
wake up, eat some cereal with milk, not much of either. Then I grab my bike and ride for around 50 minutes (20Km) to my office. My ride is middle intensity. If I do full intensity then I can't do train in the afternoon, nor work properly during the day. When I arrive I drink some chocolate milk (I read that it's a good post workout drink, due to its proteins, I hope it's true!) That's around 10 am. And of course a coffee. Then if I'm hungry I eat either yogurt or a fruit (usually a banana.)

Around 12.30 I go to lunch, and here my diet sucks: I go with my office-mates to the university canteen, which means that I can choose between fried stuff, pasta, bad (and very expensive) salads or some unknown stuff that taste to "I will regret eating this." So, I take pasta most of the time. I know that I shouldn't, but men, the options look worse.

Then during the day I eat a fruit or yogurt, usually is yogurt. And one or two cup of coffee (and I mean espresso.) Then at six I take some cereal.

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I leave the office at seven something and ride 10 K to the gym to train judo or BJJ.

After one and a half hours I ride another 10K to me room, drink some more chocolate milk and then I eat some more yogurt (yes, I eat a lot of yogurt.)

On the other days of the week I just ride the 20K back to my room and around 9 pm I eat some salads with tune. I tried to cut the bread, but since it didn't seem to work and I was getting really tired, now I just added bread again.

During the weekend I basically rest, ride some 20-40K during the whole weekend, swim a little and eat mostly fruit and salads.

Also, I drink a lot of water during the day, and a few times per week I drink some fruit juice, around 1-2 liters per week.

I cannot tell you the portions, since they vary with my mood and with how hard was the day. Trying to figure out a minus sign in your equations can take a lot of energy!

So that's my routine. Now, about me: I am 1.73 meters tall, and my weight goes between 69-74 kilos (usually 72). I've realized that when I go to some conference for a week and I don't train or do any sport and eat whatever is available, I go down to 67 Kg, which goes up again to 72 in two weeks. I don't know how much body fat I have, never measured it.

I've tried to eat less carbs in order to lose the extra fat. I cut almost all the bread from my diet, but now I'm really tired, so I'm thinking about eating bread again. Now I'm going to replace the cereal with porridge, but I'm not sure that the problem is there. Honestly, I feel very disappointed with my body: I do a lot of exercise, I train a lot, try to eat well, but still, that cursed belly fat is still there. I've changed my diet tons of times, but it seems impossible.

Last year I weighted 78-80Kg, I started eating more salads, less bread and stopped eating sugar. I went down to my current weight. But since then, nothing seems to improve my "look". It bothers me because I go to compete in the -73 in judo, and I feel that I'm given 4-5 kilos of advantage in fat. I wonder if I could go down to -66 or replace the fat for muscle.

Well, that's all I can tell, and if anyone has any tip, I would appreciate it a lot. If you need more info, just ask and I will provide it.

Saludos!

Black cohosh root worked for me for unusual stubborn weight. It worked overnight. It's unusual for me to have weight though. I guess that's why. It worked overnight though...so

I was just reading yesterday on Dr. Eenfeldt nice Swedish diet weight loss sight 18 ways to loose weight. It's basically a list of different ways to approach loosing the kilos. Thought it might provide additional helping ideas. Good luck.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

Without knowing you, I have some experience, so this is what helped me.

The most important thing to do is NEVER cheat your diet. This where weakness is easy.

Lifting weights burned more fat than anything for me. The more muscle you build, the bigger the engine for fat burning.

Make sure you don't have low testosterone. Have good workouts (don't overtrain), get in the sun and keep a decent tan, make sure you're not depressed, stay on schedule with sleep. For me, abstaining from sex was necessary to keep the ball rolling.

A few diet tips. Absolutely avoid sugar. It's in so many things it'll blow your mind if you don't label read. Drink plenty of water as this can slow down fat burning/muscle building and zap energy. Educate yourself about complex carbs (low glycemic) and make this your only carb source.

There's a bit more to it, but the above notes were mandatory for me.

Without knowing you, I have some experience, so this is what helped me.

The most important thing to do is NEVER cheat your diet. This where weakness is easy.

Lifting weights burned more fat than anything for me. The more muscle you build, the bigger the engine for fat burning.

Make sure you don't have low testosterone. Have good workouts (don't overtrain), get in the sun and keep a decent tan, make sure you're not depressed, stay on schedule with sleep. For me, abstaining from sex was necessary to keep the ball rolling.

A few diet tips. Absolutely avoid sugar. It's in so many things it'll blow your mind if you don't label read. Drink plenty of water as this can slow down fat burning/muscle building and zap energy. Educate yourself about complex carbs (low glycemic) and make this your only carb source.

There's a bit more to it, but the above notes were mandatory for me.

"Absolutely avoid sugar"

Why?

Your diet is focused on carbs. Try to focus it on protein. That's it.

Hi to everyone,

So I read all the answers and I'm making some adjustments. For example: I was surprise at the amount of calories I was drinking! That's one change. Unfortunately I've been working my ass these days, so I cannot answer all the questions, I will do that on the weekend. What I can say is that:
a) No more chocolate milk
b) No more fruit juice (100% fruit= doesn't matter, it's not fruit!)

Thanks to all for their answer/suggestions. This weekend I will post some more info and more questions,

Saludos!

Your diet is focused on carbs. Try to focus it on protein. That's it.

This is your best bet. High protein diets have been shown time and time again to help improve body composition. A few others have suggested dropping all forms of carbs / sugar. This is unnecessary as long as calories are in check and protein is moderate to high.

One study conducted a few years ago compared different methods of eating and found that nutritional programs high in protein were superior, regardless of carbohydrate intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22935440

Eat them proteins homie.

And get most of your fat from fish, omega 3 caps, avocado or nuts (almonds, cashew, hazelnut). Only a reasonable dose everyday. It helps burning more fat (yes, you just read this! )

Maybe will be hard for you to change all in a day but you leave all sugar at night and you

What the fuck is up with you guys and sugar?

this calories are whats gonna add the weight carbs can bloat you but you can lose weight eating 1500 calories a day worth of pure candy if your maintence is 200

Back