How do i increase my punching power and speed

Cory Grizzard

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
im sure this question has been asked before but how do increase my punching power and make my punches faster.thanks guys

walk down martin luther king blvd in savannah at night... you will get practice.

It starts with perfecting technique. Constant repetition of the punching motion helps your brain develop the most efficient neural pathways for creating that movement. Your brain gets faster at ordering your body through the punch mechanics, resulting in your body executing those mechanics faster. The additional benefit of technique perfection is that it will reduce the amount of telegraphing in your punches. That may not be a pure speed/power benefit but it creates the same effect since reducing your opponent's time to respond will result in you landing more undefended or poorly defended punches.

Secondly, leg and core strength need to be improved. The power and speed in a good punch originate in your legs and core. Squats, deadlifts, bench. You can develop great overall strength and power with those basic exercises. I recommend heading over to the Strength and Conditioning forum and reading the Starting Strength faq.

Your tag says you're an amateur fighter, what is your coach advising you to do?

im sure this question has been asked before but how do increase my punching power and make my punches faster.thanks guys

Masturbate ..........frequently and furiously . It builds fast twitch muscle and endurance.

Feels good too !

Dont forget .....both hands !

There is a certain exercise that give ppl results.. find a bench bar, put it against a corners and jab with it multiple times.. increase weight for power, but always try to be explosive..

Deadlifts, Squats and Bench presses help your power.

Speed bag, heavy bag and mitt drills will help with your speed.

Masturbate ..........frequently and furiously . It builds fast twitch muscle and endurance.

Feels good too !

Dont forget .....both hands !

LOL charles bennett is that you :icon_chee

Speed: Repetativeness. It's the biggest part of it. You have to do it "6 billion times" as my instructor would say. Not actually 6 billion... but a damn friggin' lot of them. As you punch many times you will gradually get quicker.

Start close to the bag and just work on technique and not crazy power.

Power: Punch slower, but very hard. Situps, squats, biking, running... anything that strengthens your core. You fist is your tool. Your body is the power - your legs and core. Yes, you're arm has to be strong, but 90% of strength in a punch comes from how fasst you turn your hips and strengthen your core.

Working Together: After you get better, you can add hard punches, close and quickly to the bag. Do it a lot, and it'll slowly become natural to you. As you get stronger, get a heavier bag.

Good luck!! :D

Back