How do I increase endurance?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by stingray 5, Sep 18, 2010.

1. stingray 5

stingray 5 Orange Belt

I have been doing bjj for about 6 months. My problem is when I roll, I tire out in a few minutes. Any advice?

2. cooltoon999

cooltoon999 Orange Belt

Really? Run, swim, bike, roll more?

3. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

Roll more. The only way to build endurance for grappling is by grappling.

4. stingray 5

stingray 5 Orange Belt

Thanks. I guess I SHOULD roll more. I do run but I can run a lot longer than I can roll, so I was just wondering if there was a more applicable exercise to rolling. I guess rolling is the best way to get better and rolling!

5. aldenton

aldenton Blue Belt

what he said. I do all types of cardio, but when I first started grappling i would gas quickly. It's just seems to be a different type of cardio, one that engages the whole of your body.

You'll get used to it... but in the mean time... HIT THE MATS!

6. Sniper1987

Sniper1987 Orange Belt

only thing comparable without actually rolling is swimming, it's a full body cardiovascular workout. But running for 45 minutes will translate to grappling. Running for 45 will equate to rolling for 15 at the same intensity. (grappling is like sprinting)

7. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

When I first started with a group of guys, we all rolled to a round timer set at three minutes. I can remember gasping like a fish at the end. Some time later, we rolled for five minutes. That jump seemed like leaping the Grand Canyon; I was sucking wind to the point I was barely able to catch my breath, and often my hands were shredded from the gripping. Soon, we were rolling for seven, ten, and fifteen minutes. Now, we still use the timer depending on what we are doing, but sometimes we just roll until someone gets submitted, which depending on the skill level, can easily go in excess of 15 minutes.

Part of rolling involves learning to relax and manage your energy for the long haul. The other part involves just building up your endurance by doing more rolling and pushing yourself. If you can go five minutes, push for seven. As others suggested, I also recommend some cross training: running, swimming, biking, etc. I like to do some circuit training too (MMA-type skill building drills). I also try to hit the gym and just build my strength. As my rolling got better, my running got better, and vice versa. Now, I'm doing 5Ks, which is something I never thought would happen.

Jiu-jitsu is a process.

8. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

Get better technique...

9. hurricane ditka

hurricane ditka White Belt

Grappling shouldn't be like sprinting if you're doing it correctly. You should be relaxed and under control.

Try running 30-45 minutes a few times a week. Try a fartlek run once a week and have everything else be relaxed (you should be able to hold a conversation at your relaxed pace). A fartlek kind of simulates grappling because you go hard for a few minutes, then go back to recovery pace for a few minutes then back to a decent pace for a few minutes followed by a difficult pace. You keep on doing that for 30-40 minutes and you should start to get less tired grappling in a month or so.

10. ManilaIce

ManilaIce Orange Belt

Try floating that in the S&C forum...

two acronyms for you to incorporate - HIIT and LSD

HIIT = high intensity interval training
    LSD = long, slow distance training

Both work on different areas of your cardio, both are important.

11. Throatpoker

Throatpoker Black Belt

Try to relax while grappling, and remember to breathe. Also, focus more on technique and momentum, than strength and explosiveness.

12. Waldorf

Waldorf Blue Belt

I think the best thing to improve BJJ endurance is better technique because your doing more and more with less and in my opinion improvment here pays off bigger divdends than just upping your work rate, at least for a while. If you have been doing it for 6 months and you roll fairly regularly and you really gas hard after a few minutes, then I think you have to be muscling everything. Maybe try to actively relax when you roll and instead of focusing on a beating your partner or even pulling off a specfic technqiue, try to concentrate on good posture and executing whole body movements like hip escaping, moving hips to break posture, hiping in to pass guard etc when you roll and see how you feel and can build off of that. You could crush out 100 bupress, but if you use all power and strength you'll still wear down pretty quick.

That being said, if muscling things becomes less and less of a factor, and since most people aren't at the gym or with a partner all the time, if you want to kick it up a notch I always like stuff from here
    RossTraining.com Blog

and here

Boston Personal Trainers, MMA Strength and Conditioning Coach, Massachusetts; MA, Fitness classes, MMA Conditioning Coach, UFC, Core Strength Training, Boston, Workout, Personal Fitness Coach

13. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

Let me google that for you

Not to be a dick, but there really are a multitude of BJJ/ MMA endurance workouts, available only with a cursory google search. Click the 1'st link, that has a very good body-weigth S&C workout, geared specifically towards jits. At the bottom is a link for a Shaolin Ribeiro cardio workout, designed for partner work.

Rolling is also paramount, as others have said- just push yourself. Roll as long as you can, get your wind back, and jump right back on the mats. A good club will always have people willing to roll, all you have to do is ask. Pacing yourself is important, and always focus on having your best technique possible.

Good luck

14. Mr. Switch

Mr. Switch TALLY HO!

Meh- everyone's given the standard advice but it sounds to me like you want a quick fix (I.E. Just do these two easy exercises once a month and you'll have amazing cardio).

I'm going to give you ONE tip. Find a group of dedicated friends, work out a routine, arrange to meet up once/twice/three times a week, and then all stick to it.

Bad news: you still have to work your ass off.
    Good news: Just go to these sessions and you have the psychological advantage... it goes from "oh god I have to do x, y, z, a, b, c" to "I have to go to conditioning." And when you're there it goes from "I have to motivate myself to do x,y,z,a,b,c" to "just do what the fuck you're told."

15. brandon0627

brandon0627 White Belt

True, true, true. Have you ever noticed there are fat purples, browns, and blacks that never get gassed. Weird. Sometimes lazy pays (I can't believe I just said that).:D

16. TrevorRoss

TrevorRoss Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Do something physical that will make your heart beat to the point of near explosion rest, then do it again.