How Do I get toned like this guy????

have you seen crossfit pullups?

Yes, and and its a good way to give yourself SLAP tears. Besides, a pullup's purpose is to contract your back (lats mostly), if you are not feeling it in your back, and 100% of the load is on your shoulders and biceps, you dun goofed it.

0/10 but I'll play.

I want to have toned muscle which is lean,compact and good for function instead of just being big. Also i Don't want bodybuilder muscle because it turns to fat when you stop working out like arnold Scharzeneggar.

have you seen crossfit pullups?

Wait you mean Arnold looks like a 69 year old man? Shocking!

I dont want big bodybuilder muscle i want a toned physique with functional strength like guy in picture..

One.... stop using functional strength as a term. There is no such thing and it makes everyone think you're a giant douche-nozzle. There is only strength. You can get deeper and talk about limit strength, speed strength, et cetera, but functional strength is a false term. Any strength is functional if it is useful for whatever force you're trying to apply.

Bodybuilding aesthetics are very hard to achieve. Nobody is going to casually look like a bodybuilder. It takes serious work to achieve what they do. If you want to be lean and muscular, then you're in the same category as most of us. While there are some fatty powerlifters on this forum, most of us do S&C for some sport. If you want to get stronger, then you have to train strength. The best way to train strength is through barbell workouts on the big movements such as back squat, bench press, deadlift, powerclean, standing press, barbell row. You should look at a basic strength training program to find out when to do what movements and for how many reps. Starting Strength, Madcow, Stronglifts are all good starting programs. These programs focus on increasing your strength rather than increasing your mass. Generally the more reps you do, the more you tear your muscle fibers and the more you grow. If you want to stay lean, you'll want to limit your reps to 1-6 and have long rest periods. If you want to grow, you'll increase the volume to like 6-12 reps and have shorter rest periods. Bodybuilding workouts have a lot of volume and isolation exercises compared to strength training programs and you'll not become a bodybuilder by accident. Strength training programs focus on 3-4 major compound movements each day with the intent on adding weight each time. It's focus is efficient muscle use and training your CNS. Bodybuilding programs focus on hitting each muscle group from multiple angles to cause tears in the fibers and create growth.

As far as how large you actually get, that depends on your diet. You can limit your growth by controlling your caloric intake. The Diet sub is the best place to figure those numbers out. You can do all the strength training you want, but if you don't eat to grow, then you won't grow. You'll get stronger and lean if you stay on a limited caloric intake. You'll get stronger and bigger if you stay on a caloric surplus. The right amount depends on your size, activity level, training history, metabolism. You'll have to tweak that.

My personal advice is this. Get yourself on a beginner strength program. Do some good cardio when you can like swimming/sprints. Clean up your diet and cut out sugar and fried foods. Give yourself a good 6 months of just focusing on that and see where you wind up. I'll bet you cut a bunch of fat, get strong as shit and you won't look like Ronnie Coleman. From there you can figure out what you truly want.

One.... stop using functional strength as a term. There is no such thing and it makes everyone think you're a giant douche-nozzle. There is only strength. You can get deeper and talk about limit strength, speed strength, et cetera, but functional strength is a false term. Any strength is functional if it is useful for whatever force you're trying to apply.

Bodybuilding aesthetics are very hard to achieve. Nobody is going to casually look like a bodybuilder. It takes serious work to achieve what they do. If you want to be lean and muscular, then you're in the same category as most of us. While there are some fatty powerlifters on this forum, most of us do S&C for some sport. If you want to get stronger, then you have to train strength. The best way to train strength is through barbell workouts on the big movements such as back squat, bench press, deadlift, powerclean, standing press, barbell row. You should look at a basic strength training program to find out when to do what movements and for how many reps. Starting Strength, Madcow, Stronglifts are all good starting programs. These programs focus on increasing your strength rather than increasing your mass. Generally the more reps you do, the more you tear your muscle fibers and the more you grow. If you want to stay lean, you'll want to limit your reps to 1-6 and have long rest periods. If you want to grow, you'll increase the volume to like 6-12 reps and have shorter rest periods. Bodybuilding workouts have a lot of volume and isolation exercises compared to strength training programs and you'll not become a bodybuilder by accident. Strength training programs focus on 3-4 major compound movements each day with the intent on adding weight each time. It's focus is efficient muscle use and training your CNS. Bodybuilding programs focus on hitting each muscle group from multiple angles to cause tears in the fibers and create growth.

As far as how large you actually get, that depends on your diet. You can limit your growth by controlling your caloric intake. The Diet sub is the best place to figure those numbers out. You can do all the strength training you want, but if you don't eat to grow, then you won't grow. You'll get stronger and lean if you stay on a limited caloric intake. You'll get stronger and bigger if you stay on a caloric surplus. The right amount depends on your size, activity level, training history, metabolism. You'll have to tweak that.

My personal advice is this. Get yourself on a beginner strength program. Do some good cardio when you can like swimming/sprints. Clean up your diet and cut out sugar and fried foods. Give yourself a good 6 months of just focusing on that and see where you wind up. I'll bet you cut a bunch of fat, get strong as shit and you won't look like Ronnie Coleman. From there you can figure out what you truly want.
When i Say functional strength I mean strength functional for real life movements and fighting. If i do deadlifts or squats i can lift a heavy bar but that's it.

I always lol when people constantly mention "real life movements" alongside "fighting". I guarantee you the average person is going to pick up and move heavy shit a lot more than engage in a game of fisticuffs.

When i Say functional strength I mean strength functional for real life movements and fighting. If i do deadlifts or squats i can lift a heavy bar but that's it.
Strength is strength. The strength you develop in your posterior chain from heavy squats and deads doesn't suddenly disappear when you wrestle, or box, or move someone's heavy shit.

Strength is strength. The strength you develop in your posterior chain from heavy squats and deads doesn't suddenly disappear when you wrestle, or box, or move someone's heavy shit.
Not true bud, that's only gonna make bodybuilder muscle and give me have asthma

The body type you have now also matters a lot. If you're naturally pretty thin then you should focus strongly on packing muscle. If you're one of those fatties with muscle, a stronger focus should be on eating less and doing some cardio in order to cut.

But in general, building a good amount of muscle and then cutting down BF is the way to go.

You really don't understand the first fucking thing about strength dude.

When you fight, you need strong legs, hips, core, back, and grip right? That's all squats and deadlifts do is strengthen those muscle chains. Your body doesn't care what type of resistance it needs to apply force to. A barbell is just the best way to add a load and track progress.

You seriously think learning to squat with a load or pick heavy things up won't help you hit harder or grapple better? If you're absolutely retarded comment about squats and deadlifts was true, then you could apply that to any exercise you want to do. It would also mean the entire sports science field is wrong.

I've been working out for a while but I haven't made much progress
I want to get toned with defined muscle like this guy witha full sixpack abs but i don't want to be bulky or take steroids cuz I like running and doing climbinb and athletic stuff don't want to get tired fast or strain my heart from having too much muscle. I think its more impressive to have compact tone functional muscle like bruce lee or other lean guys so i can do real athletic stuff instead of just water muscle or bodybuilder muscle that can just do weight lifting. So what should i do to get a body like this? Calisthetics?TRX?
images

Hey TS, if you're not Asian, you might want to invest in plastic surgery in addition to your new diet regimen if you want the complete package.

I've been working out for a while but I haven't made much progress
I want to get toned with defined muscle like this guy witha full sixpack abs but i don't want to be bulky or take steroids cuz I like running and doing climbinb and athletic stuff don't want to get tired fast or strain my heart from having too much muscle. I think its more impressive to have compact tone functional muscle like bruce lee or other lean guys so i can do real athletic stuff instead of just water muscle or bodybuilder muscle that can just do weight lifting. So what should i do to get a body like this? Calisthetics?TRX?
images

mr-t-lol.gif

Anyone posted Juji in this thread yet? Dude's got dat der functionality at a pretty good weight.

be Korean

or drink a lot of green tea

whatever, this thread is pretty gay

Back