How do i get into boxing ?

Volumes

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Ok so first thing sorry for my bad english !

Hi guys, lately i've been watching boxing more and more on YouTube and damn i really really like it, i'm even starting to like it more than mma tbh (and my favourite fighter are mainly wrestler in mma lol) but i find it so hard to get into it, like i don't even know what fight to watch there is too many organisation too many fighter too many belt i don't even know where to begin with lol, even with the organisation i don't even know which org is legit or not

I there a "proper" ranking like in the ufc ?

The 4 major sanctioning bodies you'll need to know are the following : WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO. They all grant world titles in 17 (soon to be 18) weight classes. People at The Ring magazine publish their own unified world rankings and grant titles. That's a lot of belts. To know if a world titlist is for real, you'll need to check out his record and see which fighters (and at what point in their career) he did beat to earn and keep his belt . www.boxrec.com comes in handy. Undisputed champions - those who got all the silverware in a weight class - are for real, but they're uncommon.

Use the search function wisely. There are tons of threads in here about people's favorite bouts.

Learn about the "10 points must" system and the actual scoring criteria (clean and hard punching, effective aggression, defense, ring generalship). If you're not familiar with them your opinion on the way a boxing round - let alone a boxing fight - should be scored is very likely to be irrelevant.

A different scorecard than the judges's is perfectly fine provided you do know about the rules. Never, ever call a close fight a "robbery" even if you disagree with the official decision. Judging is a subjective matter and you're not the one who gets to decide. Knowing your shit isn't about being "right" all the time. It's about understanding to what extent people can see the same fight differently and still be correct according to the very same criteria that you've used.

If your English isn't too good, spend the time you'll need to make your posts readable. People will be kinder to you.

Avoid Jake Paul-related discussions.

Also, Clinton Woods.

Last edited:
Ok so first thing sorry for my bad english !

Hi guys, lately i've been watching boxing more and more on YouTube and damn i really really like it, i'm even starting to like it more than mma tbh (and my favourite fighter are mainly wrestler in mma lol) but i find it so hard to get into it, like i don't even know what fight to watch there is too many organisation too many fighter too many belt i don't even know where to begin with lol, even with the organisation i don't even know which org is legit or not

I there a "proper" ranking like in the ufc ?

Boxing makes it hard for people to notice, like, get into, and follow. There are too many belts, too much corruption, and too much self interest, too.

Once you realize that whoever is the A side, fighter, with money behind them, and is younger, then you can predict nearly every fight (especially if the A side fits all 3 criteria).

Still, there are some good matches, and the history of the sport has some interesting stuff.

Start with guys you know and like. If you're not sure, start with Tyson I guess. Really easy to digest and watch (especially if you're coming from a "just bleed" background). That will naturally lead you to other fighters. Tyson will take you to Holyfield, he'll take you to James Toney. From there, Roy Jones Jr. Hopkins, etc. etc. Just follow it like a stream. You'll start to see how it all connects, learn about different rivalries, how the sanctioning orgs work (though that stuff will probably drive you mad like it does everyone else).

Watch some old exciting fights. 90s early 2000s.
Some fights before the video quality isn't great. I'm guessing your fairly young.

Some fighters I'd advise you watch just because you know they'll be some good action majority of the time.

Mike Tyson, Roy Jones Jr, Ricky Hatton (only one), Nigel Benn, Prince Naseem, Manny Pacquiao, James Toney, Miguel Cotto...

I'm sure many guys could add to this list even give you a good fight to watch with these guys in.

I'll start you with one - Kostya Tszyu vs. Ricky Hatton

The schedule that was posted and boxrec help alot, as does this board for news and info. Boxrec's rankings are shaky because it uses an algorithm but it's nice to have an overview of whose out there, what weight class they're in and who they have fought.

I also have the DAZN app and just watch most of the events on there.

man I'd forgotten just how wild Mayorga was. Dude was a throwback to a much simpler time.

Go to a big fight live. Game changer.
I live in France we don't get that many boxing event ahah, i only got the chance to see a big kickboxing event it was dope

Start with guys you know and like. If you're not sure, start with Tyson I guess. Really easy to digest and watch (especially if you're coming from a "just bleed" background). That will naturally lead you to other fighters. Tyson will take you to Holyfield, he'll take you to James Toney. From there, Roy Jones Jr. Hopkins, etc. etc. Just follow it like a stream. You'll start to see how it all connects, learn about different rivalries, how the sanctioning orgs work (though that stuff will probably drive you mad like it does everyone else).
My favourites fighter at the moment are Canelo, Tank Davis, Vergil ortiz... And that's pretty much it lol i don't know a lot of them, but i really love watching these guys fight really love their style

What rising prospect and contender should i look for ?

Where are you from? Boxrec.com, boxing scene.com and this site are good to check for news and upcoming events as well as look at rankings and title holders. Good old Wikipedia is good too for reading about the more well known fighters. For me this has been a good way to improve my English because there isn't as much good content in German.

On Youtube, channels I liked about boxing were hanzagod and reznick but I don't know about their current content.

I live in France we don't get that many boxing event ahah, i only got the chance to see a big kickboxing event it was dope

My favourites fighter at the moment are Canelo, Tank Davis, Vergil ortiz... And that's pretty much it lol i don't know a lot of them, but i really love watching these guys fight really love their style

What rising prospect and contender should i look for ?
Not prospects but watch some fights from Naoya Inoue and Artur Beterbiev.

Back