How do I defend this type of pass?

SFinclined

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I go to open my guard and a stronger guy overhooks both of my legs at the thighs and squeezes as he moves back to get my legs from around him, like he wrapped me up for a double leg on the ground. Now he holds and passes, He is only controlling my legs but I can't shrimp cause my hips are immobilized. Is there a way to defend that? I usually prepare to be passed and start looking for an underhook to escape side mount.

This happens to me too, I usually try to do a sitting switch.

This happens to me too, I usually try to do a sitting switch.

The winner. Brian Mingia HATES the sitting switch, and loves that pass.

well i know of the standard switch from a single leg takedown defense but i dont know how you'd do it from a sitting possition when the guy has double unders on your legs

I have no clue what a sitting switch is, but i'll google it.

I go to open my guard and a stronger guy overhooks both of my legs at the thighs and squeezes as he moves back to get my legs from around him, like he wrapped me up for a double leg on the ground. Now he holds and passes, He is only controlling my legs but I can't shrimp cause my hips are immobilized. Is there a way to defend that? I usually prepare to be passed and start looking for an underhook to escape side mount.

why are you opening your guard with no control of his hand(s) or head?

anyways, when he does this "double-leg pass" (as i call it too, i use it often) sit up and "lock in the crotch." if you can hit a wrestling switch from this, the passer is not going it right, or you're so nasty he has no business passing your guard at all. since your legs will be straight and locked up.

"locking in the crotch" means your sit up and lean forward as much as possible and lock one hand over his back and one hand under his front, between his legs, your hands lock together.

if his head is on my left side, my left arm is over his back, and visa-versa. you can do it this was if his head is on either side, but if you lose the lock and he is forced to pass tot he left, with his head on that same side, you can snatch up a guillotine with the quickness.

if you can scoop your hips under him and get some bend in your legs while he goes "wtf?" you can throw him from the ground and get a sweep. if not, you can stall and avoid being passed, or you can start peeling his hands off you and work through it.

the tl/dr version is that you just need to stiff-arm his body away from you to gain as much space as possible and then work to peel his hands off you and regain guard or get your legs between the two of you.

if you can hit a wrestling switch from this, the passer is not going it right, or you're so nasty he has no business passing your guard at all. since your legs will be straight and locked up.

I can do the switch to just about everyone I ever grappled with to defend that pass, and its a pretty distinguished group these days. Its NOT a full switch, you reach down beside the guy to hook his leg on the side he is passing to (if he is passing to my right I reach left arm over his left arm and hook inside his left leg. Then I sit up and into him and fight to sprawl my legs backwards, popping his grip off my legs and putting us into a more neutral scramble. A really savvy guy can try to start taking your back, but if you are alert its fairly low risk.

I dont doubt there are better defenses to that pass, but for me this defense is pretty solid. Timing is very important, and you really either have to hook the guy as he is fairly square to you or just as he picks a side to pass to. Let him shift his hips and set side control its too late. But for me,,,,,,it works alot.

I can do the switch to just about everyone I ever grappled with to defend that pass, and its a pretty distinguished group these days. Its NOT a full switch, you reach down beside the guy to hook his leg on the side he is passing to (if he is passing to my right I reach left arm over his left arm and hook inside his left leg. Then I sit up and into him and fight to sprawl my legs backwards, popping his grip off my legs and putting us into a more neutral scramble. A really savvy guy can try to start taking your back, but if you are alert its fairly low risk.

I dont doubt there are better defenses to that pass, but for me this defense is pretty solid. Timing is very important, and you really either have to hook the guy as he is fairly square to you or just as he picks a side to pass to. Let him shift his hips and set side control its too late. But for me,,,,,,it works alot.

Maybe I'm not reading the TS right, but isn't the passer hugging the legs and pretty much moving to the side? There's no way in hell you are going to do a switch off that.

Maybe I'm not reading the TS right, but isn't the passer hugging the legs and pretty much moving to the side? There's no way in hell you are going to do a switch off that.

Read what I said, its NOT a full switch. I use a switch "grip", my arm over his arm to hook his leg. This give a tremendous amount of leverage to spawl your legs loose from his death grip. Its not a full switch, more of a switch like grip to breaking your hips free to a more neutral scramble.

Read what I said, its NOT a full switch. I use a switch "grip", my arm over his arm to hook his leg. This give a tremendous amount of leverage to spawl your legs loose from his death grip. Its not a full switch, more of a switch like grip to breaking your hips free to a more neutral scramble.

Can someone confirm this technique? I'm having a hard time visualizing how hooking the guys leg is going to give you any leverage to sprawl your legs out (from a guy that has all his weight on top and locking with his arms). If anything stiff arming his head and pushing him back to shrimp your hips out makes more sense.

Heh I'll video tape me doing to over and over to Purple and brown belts if that helps. Never done it to a BB, they can pass my guard so many ways I never got the chance.

But I first saw it used years ago by of all people Mikey Burnett in ADCC. Several other wrestling based submission guys used it in that competition (the one Mikey was in) as well. Watch that and it will be confirmed for you.

looking forward to the vid, one guy at my gym loves this pass and uses it all the type, he normally does it from half-guard he hugs my hips and sprawls and starts passing to one side or the other.

Aesopian has a video on countering this pass. I tried to find it but I haven't been able to locate it. The video basically entails the advice on the thread.

If your opponent is passing to your right, you put your left arm around his left leg and get your hips out in a sprawl as hard as you can. A few things can happen.

1. You get your back taken
2. You get back to a neutral position.
3. You get a single leg on your opponent.

There is a guy at my club who uses this pass constantly from the top half-guard position. So far, I'm about 50/50 in countering it.

Push the head to prevent him from putting his weight on you. Try to keep his body as parallel to yours as possible, not perpendicular.

Pushing the head is always the first line of defense for most passes.

That switch would be hard for me, the guy weighs like 290 lbs., I don't think I could get enough leverage, especially since he is high around my thighs.

Back