How do I defend against the KEY LOCK?

get wrist control and dont let him use it against you. wrist control isnt you latched into his wrist so that he can move your arm how he wants.

wrist control is you latched onto his arm, and you controling his arm how you want it.

i was wondering about this lately . when i have my guy in the half guard, and he is trying to put a keylock on me. i'll try to hip out of it or roll him over me. its pretty hard. i wish someone had a good explanation for this.....

Superbeast said:
If you are on the bottom, roll towards your arm that he has trapped and try put your hand on the back of your neck or grab your shorts, depending if it is Americana or Kimura.
From guard put the hand behind your knee so it is trapped between your calf and thigh. Then bring the hand up towards your opposite shoulder.

In mount, if he goes for it from sweep him over. He won't be able to try put his hand out for base as both his arms will be focused on one of yours.
Yeah, a good vid of this is when aleks escaped barnett's americana the first time before practically giving josh his arm to apply it the second time seconds later

Superbeast said:
If you are on the bottom, roll towards your arm that he has trapped and try put your hand on the back of your neck or grab your shorts, depending if it is Americana or Kimura.

Bringing your hand up toward your head won't work. There are several really easy and effective counters, like the V-1 lock or just Americana with the head. It can stall someone who is weaker or doesn't know what they are doing well; though, and allow your to get a real counter.

I suggest gripping your own arm/wrist, turning/bridging toward your trapped hand, and either:

1) Roll him over it and reverse the positions if he is too high up.

2) Sometimes you can trap his elbow in your armpit and wristlock him, but this is rare against good grapplers. You can also rarely wristlock him by pinning his elbow by your neck, gripping your own hand, and pulling his wrist towards your head.

3) Pull the entire lock across your body. Works as an arm-drag and a breaks his posture. Now you can either escape or sweep easily.

Cardio said:
Ima white belt, a blue belt caught me about 5 times in a key lock at BJJ class sparring. He slapped them on from almost every position we were in (side, mount, guard). How do I defend against these nasty little buggers?

Ask the Blue Belt that keeps landing them. Ask what you could do to make it more difficult for him to get set up in position to attempt the lock, ask what you could do to prevent him from fully locking it in, and ask what he would do to get out of it.

2om30 said:
i grab my arm that's being locked and roll towards the lock and at the same time straighting it out.

Thank you. There was a lot of confusion about the difference between a keylock/americana and a kimura.

I use the keylock a lot, from the top and the bottom. In the same way that a lot of people use footlocks and wristlocks as "bail out" submissions, I'm always looking to finish a match with a keylock.

From the bottom, the favorite escape way is definitely to straighten your arm and get your far hand under their armpit or elbow. Roll in the direction of the arm being attacked.

Back