How do I choose a good Gi???

ElMatador1

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
im starting jiu jitsu in a couple a weeks and im in the market for a gi, but i really dont know how to tell the differance between a good quality gi and from a cheap one.
can someone please help me out??
my price range is $50-$60 maybe $70 if its really worth it.
whats a good brand??
and also whats the difference between single and double weave??

thanks

Sorry to say but that will not get you close to a high quality Gi like: Koral, Atama, Lucky, etc.

I would recommend going with a Gi your school sells because you will get a better deal on one. As for single and double weaves, Doubles are a little heavier and supposedly more durable but all 3 of my Gis are peral single weave and they are nice and light, so far none of them show any wear and tear.

Then when you know you are going to stick with it, invest in a high quality Gi since they range from $100-$200+ USD, so you dont want to waste your money if you aren't going to stick with it.

You dont choose the gi, the gi chooses you. But ya like above poster said your not going to get a top of the line gi for that price. Sounds to me like you should look at fuji gi's as I am told they are the best bang for your buck.

Go with the Fuji!

Save up an extra $20 or so and spring for the lightweight model.

For several dollars more you can get a Padilla & Sons gold weave.

lol, that can be said about any Gi... so how is that usefull. :icon_lol:

I bought a P&S gold weave for $90 several years ago. You can't beat their quality for that price. :icon_chee

i would definitely go with a white fuji victory gi, you can get one for around $60 and they will last a long time. fuji cant be beat for the price to quality ratio. if your looking to spend a little more say $100, i would go with a fushida over the Padilla & Sons because of the quality and superior pants.

Fuji
they are fricking durable
or u can get a crappy judo gi and save up some $ for high end gi like Atama

i would definitely go with a white fuji victory gi, you can get one for around $60 and they will last a long time. fuji cant be beat for the price to quality ratio. if your looking to spend a little more say $100, i would go with a fushida over the Padilla & Sons because of the quality and superior pants.

I agree. I will say the Fuji is more comfortable to roll in for training. So soft and the cut is slim in all the right spots. It is a great gi to have in the rotation :icon_chee For the price you can not beat it. The Fushida makes a high quality gi and the Mantis is a pretty good deal because for a limited time they are introducing this model with their ripstop pants. If you do not want to guess how a gi is going to fit you I would send Christo at Fushida an email and he will be able to tell you exactly how the gi will fit on you. I have nothing but good things to say about my Komodo model :) Like a high quality tailored suit

You dont choose the gi, the gi chooses you.

LOL, love that quote!

I say borrow or buy a cheapo gi to begin with, once you get the BJJ bug and train 3-4 times a week, you'll need a couple of gis anyway. Check out and ask your training parters about their gis. They'll be only to happy to offer advice as almost everyone I know has a favourite and a not-favourite over the years.
But if you want only one gi, and it HAD to be the right fit first time...go Fushida. They'll fit one for you good and proper and the price is very reasonable.
Alternatively, find a company that will let you buy pants and jacket separately. In the UK, Tatami Fightwear do this, and in the US, I believe you can get half sizes from certain brands.

If you are interested, I wrote a lengthy guide on how to choose a BJJ gi:
MEERKATSU: What BJJ gi should I buy?

I hope this helps :)

Go with a HCK or a Fuji in that price range.

Back