how do I avoid being slammed?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by td82394, Aug 15, 2010.

1. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Seriously. I live in Texas, and I'd say I have a decent guard. Not enough to warrant even a blue stripe, but decent compared to other people who's sole ability on the ground is "knock a motherfucker out". Anyhow, sometimes I get slammed. I can keep guard cuz my legs are strong, but they just keep milking it and make it so that I have them in my guard, but I can't go for anything. So what do I do? I learned this one sweep but I can't hold onto it because I get slammed and I let go whether I want to or not. The main thing is I land on the back of my neck but fortunately not my head so I get kind of spaced and I let go.

2. Cricket

Cricket White Belt

When they go to pick you up, hook your arm inside then around their leg so you're like an anchor and they won't be able to lift you off the ground much...there are many sweeps from there

3. yovan

yovan Purple Belt

3/10

4. Zen Machine

Zen Machine Purple Belt

Good advice. The secret to getting the sweep is the timing. A well timed flower sweep as heputs one leg up to begin standing and is off balance is a good place to start. If you are being picked up despite hooking the leg tho, open and play open guard. Getting slammed is not fun.

5. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

You guys slam each other in training?

6. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

Well their style is "knock a motherfucker out", so i guess slamming is the norm :p

7. Q mystic

Q mystic Silver Belt

I know what this sounds like SSR and it really isnt as bad as it sounds but in all judo clubs I have been to for a while they would do that. It was a good answer to closed gaurd and kind of a norm, for fun. For judo tho and just during open randori. A closed club fight night under judo rules would easily get you a hanso-make but for all other times if a fella pulls close gaurd and you could lift him, he better move.lol. Routine, tho rare really.

Common in early 90s judo and before. very few actually got slammed tho cuz you moved. Everybody did at one time tho and you know I am not being all tuffy(cuz it is silly) but thats just the way the free matches went. Iffin like Jackson/Arona then you were quickly a geek, lol, but our sensei was one who slammed me hard.lol. He was big and i worked close vs him too often.lol

op, if he gets you over fulcrum, gtfo or turn to their side. Slamming isnt easy. A good shake can unsettle them easy. You wont often see it successful between 2 vets. Its actually a risk in gi big time.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  8. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Orange Belt

let go. when they pick you up, let go. Problem solved.

9. Q mystic

Q mystic Silver Belt

If they CAN pick you up you gotta do alot more than that tho. Especially in gi. You have to turn out rapidly or get inside and kick, while turning out.. you're balance will get better overtime tho to where when they set in you will recog and prevent before they get started. Take a leg in and kick hard their ankle out while reaping upper body to the other side fast and early. It'll strectch them out. Not for sure but its what you might try to let them try an set up a lift for. Even the inside of knee if its clean.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  10. op3r

op3r Guest

^^ This.

Or punch them in the face.

11. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    let.... go?

12. SuperSuperRambo

Fair enough, but if he's doing judo you would think he would know that. So the issue wouldn't be "how do I prevent this." The simple solution is don't use a closed guard. Plus he said "blue stripe" so I assume we're talking bjj. And that's usually not considered acceptable (and is illegal in competition, if you're training for that purpose).

To give a serious answer: TS, if you're training in the gi and getting slammed from closed guard, first you need to consider the option of not using a closed guard. You have many options. Second, if he is able to do that then you are not breaking his grips and controlling his posture properly. He can't lift you up if his weight is too far forward and his posture is bad. Likewise he can't lift you up if he can't get a grip on each side of your lapel. So if you break those grips (and establish your own) this will help stop him. You can also stand up if he lifts you up that far, and instantly go into a bodylock trip or throw (assuming you're working with takedowns). That's a favorite of mine. You have full guard, he lifts you up, then just drop your feet to the ground instantly and hit an o-soto-gari or whatever you like to do.

If it's no gi or MMA, then it should be even harder for them to lift you up and slam you, because they don't have the same grips. So if you're both on the ground and his stands up, you don't have to let your upper body follow him. Attack his legs and work for a sweep. And of course, all the options I listed above (switch to an open guard, or stand up) still work.

In other words, an opponent shouldn't be able to slam you unless you let him take you up with him, or if you jump guard. Or if you have a triangle that you refuse to give up.

13. Rod1

Rod1 Titanium Belt

If this is gi then

1.- Don't close the guard tightly, its better to simply break the posture of opponent, close the guard when the opponent is bent on passing mainly.

2.- When he tries to stand open guard and place your feet on his hips, that will prevent him from lifting you up, if he leans on you slide your feet inside so that you transition into butterfly and use his momentum to sweep, you can also slide only one feet and sweep like sumi gaeshi.

3.- Be more aggresive, either work for a sub quickly or try to sweep, don't rest in the guard. try breaking his posture more.

If its no gi.

1.- Don't let him get underhooks.

2.- If he doesn't has underhooks and tries to lift, then quickly grab a leg if he tries to lift, be careful as he may still piledrive you, but wth are you training if they allow that.

3.- Don't attempt a bad sankaku or triangle, if he has a good posture, try breaking his posture first of try getting a better angle.

Basically the only way he can slam you and you can't do anything is when

1.- you let him get underhooks and he traps your arms

2.- You try to lock a bad triangle when he has a good posture.

14. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

Good advice. Thanks. And this isn't for training, this is for an actual fight. I don't really like open guard unless I have a strong double wrist control going, in which I play I guess you call a modified spider guard where I have wrist control and I get my feet in and push away and then his base is gone, his arms are stretched so it's hard to pull away and then go for stuff.

15. SuperSuperRambo

Gotcha. Then work on your wrestling too. If it's in a cage, practice using it to get to the feet. And since we're talking no gi, it should definitely be hard for them to just get you from the closed guard and lift you up. That means that either you're following them up (like a sit-up, which you shouldn't do), or they are getting underhooks and a body lock (in which case you can switch to something like an omoplata).

But....since we're talking MMA now, I would just stand up to my feet. It's usually better to be on your feet than on your back (unless you're a real ground wizard, which I take it you're not). So if he lifts you up, get those feet on the ground when you have enough space, and go for a takedown of your own. Or just back out of the clinch.

16. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

No, I'm definitely not a ground wizard.

But compared to some of the people around me, I'm Demian Maia meets Randy Couture. : )

17. codemonkey76

codemonkey76 Black Belt

HAHAH, LMFAO, sig-worthy.

18. td82394

td82394 Brown Belt

So I guess when someone picks me up from now on, I'll just put my feet down and probably hit some crazy judo throw from overhooks that I'm about to learn. : )

19. RussSommers

RussSommers Yellow Belt

Stop holding closed guard, work sweeps.

Try working butterfly guard and/or butterfly half guard, there are tons of sweeps from butterfly and you control the hips. It will take a little getting used to, but there are some guys I roll with who have excellent butterfly guard and can sweep at will.

20. SuperSuperRambo

I'm wondering how he gets the underhooks in the first place deep enough to pick you up and slam you. Because I love getting a tight overhook from closed guard, it give you so many attack options.