How do hospitals treat people who get covid-19?

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What kind of care do hospitals give people who catch it?

Do they give IVs and the severe cases put them on a ventilator? Once someone is on a ventilator, what are the rough odds they recover? It is closer to 10% or 50% or 90%?

What else do doctor and nurses do? Do those who get a bad case and suffer from it need to be in a hospital stetting and need a hospital bed?

Could it be possible that once some people catch it and recover that they could easily be trained to work ventilators and do most of the treatment doctors and nurses do now?

Is there a test now that shows if people have had it in the past and have recovered and are no longer contagious?

Uh

wat?

We treat it the same way we would any other infection

Mostly just standard supportive care like other respiratory viral illnesses as far as I know. Experimental treatments (antivirals, hydroxychloroquine, chloroquine) usually reserved for lower respiratory tract infections. Complications (ARDs, AKI, cytokine storm) managed like they would be normally.

Being on a vent is really bad. Don't know stats off top of my head.

You can do immunoglobulin testing (some companies have already started selling kits online) to check to see if you've had previous infections. Not sure how important it is to know that for most people.

Maybe there is an internist or ICU dr on Sherdog who can elaborate further.

I think they give you a bunch of Tamiflu and send you home

lubao covered most of it but here's a nice summary from an intensivist out in seattle: (I realize a lot of these terms are probably gibberish to most folk but hey google.)
ETvpZ5TU4AU9WuH

Last edited:
Mostly just standard supportive care like other respiratory viral illnesses as far as I know. Experimental treatments (antivirals, hydroxychloroquine, chloroquine) usually reserved for lower respiratory tract infections. Complications (ARDs, AKI, cytokine storm) managed like they would be normally.

Being on a vent is really bad. Don't know stats off top of my head.

You can do immunoglobulin testing (some companies have already started selling kits online) to check to see if you've had previous infections. Not sure how important it is to know that for most people.

Maybe there is an internist or ICU dr on Sherdog who can elaborate further.
My county has no cases yet, but from I’ve been told, people requiring ventilator support either get better after 2-3 days or they don’t.

Early elective intubations > emergent

lubao covered most of it but here's a nice summary from an intensivist out in seattle: (I realize a lot of these terms are probably gibberish to most folk but hey google.)
ETvpZ5TU4AU9WuH

Procalcitonin isn’t a good marker for this disease. C-reactive protein is the one people have been going with in neighboring counties.

What happens to the people who don’t have healthcare in America?

Not really sure or understand how your health system works there. If someone was to get coronavirus but didn’t have healthcare they wouldn’t just be left to die at home would they?

Not really sure or understand how your health system works there. If someone was to get coronavirus but didn’t have healthcare they wouldn’t just be left to die at home would they?
GET THE PICTURE. HEALTHCARE DOESN'T HELP. Watch the Spanish news.

ETvpZ5TU4AU9WuH

Why are they using the Chinese fatality rate, when the real rate is much higher.

Why are they using the Chinese fatality rate, when the real rate is much higher.
The real fatality rate is actually lower. Most of us are going to get this and only have mild symptoms. Of those, most won’t even be tested. The problem is sheer numbers. With so many people infected, a small percent of severe cases is still a big number.

The real fatality rate is actually lower. Most people are going to get this and only have mild symptoms. Most of these people won’t even be tested. The problem is sheer numbers. With so many people infected, a small percent of severe cases is still a big number.
Fuck it must be nice living in denial. Have you seen the footage coming out of Italy and Spain?

And what is that supposed to mean? Look up footage right now if you don't believe me. (I'm not stupid, I understand your hypothesis of untested percentages).
It's running at a 15% in some places. Last I heard Spain is a 9% national average, and 15% of the infected are health care workers.

Procalcitonin isn’t a good marker for this disease. C-reactive protein is the one people have been going with in neighboring counties.
CRP is a non specific entity and of little clinical meaning as an isolated value. Clinicians use constellations of tests, like CRP, D-dimer, procalcitonin, fibrinogen, (search SOFA criteria if you want to do some homework) to evaluate severity of disease.

And what is that supposed to mean? Look up footage right now if you don't believe me. (I'm not stupid, I understand your hypothesis of untested percentages).
It's running at a 15% in some places. Last I heard Spain is a 9% national average, and 15% of the infected are health care workers.
I don’t know what’s happening in Spain, but Italy has a high fatality rate because they weren’t able to get behind the curve like we are trying to do. They don’t have the resources available needed to treat everyone requiring intensive care. I fear this same problem could happen in NY. I’m not living in denial about the seriousness of the situation, but I’m also not going to overblow the media hysteria. Although I don’t think the media is a bad thing right now. If it keeps people home for the next couple of weeks, then good.

Last edited:

If you go to a hospital they have to treat you. You'll go bankrupt from the hospital bills but they can't say "sorry bud" and send you home to die.

That's assuming there are enough hospital beds to go around, and that won't be the case if the infection curve doesn't get flattened.

Back