How do college athletes survive college?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by GolovKing, Jan 13, 2021.

1. dc007 mr. white belt

look up “general studies” degrees. It’s true and there’s been several other posts in here saying the same thing. The universities won’t admit it but it’s well known to be true.

Fluffernutter likes this.
  2. badascan Red Belt Platinum Member

They party and bang all the pigs? Then get handed passing grades?

3. Blayt7hh Steel Belt

That can’t be real. I think I need to see proof of that one. I really hope that’s fake

edit: just saw your source, holy shit...

sleepwalk likes this.
  4. jx820 Silver Belt

I went to a school that had a pretty big basketball program. I'd see those guys in class, so they were attending. I'm sure they got a lot of assistance and additional help, but they were doing at least the minimum required work.

5. TeTe Grifting for likes Staff Member Senior Moderator

LOL, maybe one college athlete out of a thousands might get paid off like that. The Shaqs, Reggie Bushes, etc of the world were paid well to attend their school. It's extremely rare to see this. At least recently they've passed legislation in some states that allow college athletes to earn money through endorsements and what not. Hopefully it'll end the college payoffs for good.

6. TeTe Grifting for likes Staff Member Senior Moderator

I can tell you that a lot of NBA talent comes out of Chicago and lot of those guys from the city did not grow up in middle class homes.

Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis, Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, etc all had to be bussed across the city to charter or magnet schools so they could get a decent education and play ball while not getting shot at every day.

@LazaRRus

volodya, LazaRRus and Buddy Revell like this.
  7. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Oh, absolutely. Jocks in college are given a free pass on tests, given the answers to tests ahead of time, anything to keep their grades above a 2.0.

8. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

To answer OPs question: Basketweaving

This is why NYC doesn’t “produce” players anymore. As soon as kids get good enough they’re recruited to go play in some cloistered prep school somewhere. It wasn’t that long ago... 15-20 years ago... when public and catholic programs in the city were nationally ranked and produced multiple division 1 level players, McDonald’s all Americans, etc. Now they jump ship the first chance they can get. And it’s not like crime is a factor, as NYCis one of the safest big cities in the US.

That AAU culture has extended into the NBA now, with guys not really having the stomach to be the man instead, opting to team up with other top players. For all the skills it’s a weak generation of players

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    volodya and sleepwalk like this.
  9. Blayt7hh Steel Belt

They might get a few breaks or some extra resources to succeed, but I know for a fact that the athletes at West Point don’t have it easy. Maybe that’s why they suck more than the other academies at football

10. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

This is what is known as anecdotal evidence. The economist who wrote Everybody Lies used empirical data, consisting of thousands of observations.

Also, you can get bussed to a richer neighborhood to attend a charter school and still be middle class. It just depends on the income threshold of your particular city when it comes to who gets vouchers.

11. Stranger Come Knocking Red Belt

Even at USNA the football players got out of so much shit and got away with murder. Football brought in alot of money/alumni stuff. Not really fair, especially in an institution like that.

12. TheNinja Gold Belt

This is true of athletics in general. But large football and basketball programs absolutely make a TON of money for the schools. However it gets balanced out bc most sports like women’s rowing and men’s cross country probably lose a bunch of money giving full scholarships and getting no return on it.

13. TeTe Grifting for likes Staff Member Senior Moderator

Well I just named four from Chicago. I could go on. I don't know where the economist did his research, but when it comes to the city of Chicago specifically, it's not the case.

14. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

You think 4 players from Chicago is representative of the entire population of NBA players? Do you think any amount of NBA players from Chicago is representative of that population? Because it is not.

His data was taken from... NBA players. All of them.

15. Fluffernutter Gold Belt

I am not normally a fan of Rick Reilly. But, I really liked this essay.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/vault.si.com/.amp/vault/2006/07/31/the-parent-trap

16. Renard Red Belt

In my mind attending college and only aiming for the 2.0 needed to graduate would be akin to a vacation. In college I was maintaining close to 4.0 but I almost burned myself out. Doing college that way is borderline traumatic. The people who say they worked full time during college, or "college was so much easier than a job" were definitely not A-students. If you're only aiming for a bachelor, the "Cs get degrees" strategy is fine. But if you want to go to graduate school, you can't be getting Cs for most disciplines.

wufabufa likes this.
  17. Hitmandn Red Belt

Wasn't there just a cheating scandal at West Point with football players lol ?

18. LazaRRus Green Belt Platinum Member

That's accurate. Happens like that for a lot of the top talent in most major cities now. Wouldn't be surprised to start seeing kids do what LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton do more frequently

19. LazaRRus Green Belt Platinum Member

To answer the OP, boosters pay them

20. SwamiLeoni Silver Belt

Being a college wrestler was pretty though for me IMO. I got a scholarship, but the two a days added in with the additional weight cutting practice at a private university was really hard. Not to mention that after moving off campus and not using the paid-for cafeteria made balancing my checkbook much more difficult. It was hard living on PB&Js. There was one time I was so poor I ate spoonfuls of peanut butter for dinner for a week. It sucked. But overall, it was a great experience.