How do college athletes survive college?

I've heard at least the football players have it good at the military academies too.

Many of them come from poor backgrounds

That actually isn’t true. If NBA players are any indication, which I would think they are since most NBA players likely went to college for some amount of time (probably on scholarship), then the vast majority come from middle class families. That’s right. Just blew your mind. Most NBA players grew up in middle class homes.

Somewhere in this book are the supporting data. I can’t remember what page.
http://www.bdbanalytics.ir/media/1211/everybody-lies-2017.pdf#page38

That actually isn’t true. If NBA players are any indication, which I would think they are since most NBA players likely went to college for some amount of time (probably on scholarship), then the vast majority come from middle class families. That’s right. Just blew your mind. Most NBA players grew up in middle class homes.

Makes sense to me a former soccer dad. Sure the equipment costs are low compared to the other sports, it's the camps and big money premier travel leagues that get you noticed, that kind of disposable income is middle class and up all the way.
That's not saying theres a shit ton of dumb jocks who get all their academics handled by the College for making them money...

Most of the best HS basketball players play for private prep-schools. Some move away to other states. The schools, give them scholarships and many live wealthy boosters who fund the school. The guardians will give them shelter, meals and pocket money.

I suppose the hope is, these boosters hope they do make it to the NBA and make a ton of money and they’ll invest their money into businesses these boosters are in. Sure, some could be generous and are doing it to help these kids out but one would think they’ll get a favor returned to them once they start making millions per year.
There is a reason that the public schools aren’t dominating basketball anymore. It is all private prep-schools. Just look at Sierra Canyon, where Brony, a bunch of other former son’s of NBA players and five star recruit attend.

Most of the best HS basketball players play for private prep-schools. Some move away to other states. The schools, give them scholarships and many live wealthy boosters who fund the school. The guardians will give them shelter, meals and pocket money.

I suppose the hope is, these boosters hope they do make it to the NBA and make a ton of money and they’ll invest their money into businesses these boosters are in. Sure, some could be generous and are doing it to help these kids out but one would think they’ll get a favor returned to them once they start making millions per year.
There is a reason that the public schools aren’t dominating basketball anymore. It is all private prep-schools. Just look at Sierra Canyon, where Brony, a bunch of other former son’s of NBA players and five star recruit attend.

My kid was recruited in grade 10 (after a scouting tournament in Denver) to go place lacrosse on the East Coast at a prep school. I don't remember the name of it, but they were willing to pay for a full ride 'scholarship' to the school, which was 56k US per year. He didn't want to go that far away for high school lacrosse (we live right on the West Coast).

That was just for lacrosse. I can't imagine what the big sports are offering (IE football, baseball, basketball).

Live in America. Go to a D1 school and then check Real Sports, 20/20, Dateline, Google, Yahoo, etc.

You know fuck all mate, the old Google it response, all hearsay, thanks for wasting my time.

they get a fat stipend like the valed Victorians get lol

They don't. They're handed degrees for playing ball.
no that's in exchange for c's for a shit degree, and that's come from a NFL vet who came and spoke at one of my classes

idk I think you don't know anyone who got paid to go to college because of their scholarships , I know quite a few that include both my parents

Huh. I teach highschool/college in Scandinavia and we have a program were talented athletes can take HS in 4 years rather than 3 to ease their workload. The athletes here are my most disciplined students without fail - they are not neccessarily the brightest in class, but they are extremely organized, always do their homework, hand in assignments on time and tend to take leadership positions during group projects.

Of course, the student-athletes in this town are mostly swimmers or rowers with a few karate guys thrown in (watersports are big locally and the local dojo churns out Euro medal winners year on year).

Might be a different crowd from football players and basketball dudes.

... but, but , muh memory is of how it was 25+ yrs ago!!! i remember Hoop Dreams.

Huh. I teach highschool/college in Scandinavia and we have a program were talented athletes can take HS in 4 years rather than 3 to ease their workload. The athletes here are my most disciplined students without fail - they are not neccessarily the brightest in class, but they are extremely organized, always do their homework, hand in assignments on time and tend to take leadership positions during group projects.

Of course, the student-athletes in this town are mostly swimmers or rowers with a few karate guys thrown in (watersports are big locally and the local dojo churns out Euro medal winners year on year).

Might be a different crowd from football players and basketball dudes.

Keep in mind that university sports aren't a multi-billion dollar revenue stream for universities in Scandinavia that they are in the US where the schools have less regard for the well being of their athletes than Dana has for fighters.

Well when I was in college the teachers just gave them passing grades even though they didn't do shit. I think. I didn't know any athletes but there's no way some of those guys passed classes on merit lol.

Makes sense to me a former soccer dad. Sure the equipment costs are low compared to the other sports, it's the camps and big money premier travel leagues that get you noticed, that kind of disposable income is middle class and up all the way.
That's not saying theres a shit ton of dumb jocks who get all their academics handled by the College for making them money...
That makes sense in a gay sport like soccer with white ass kids. But take a 6'6" brotha who can jump 30" in the air and slam drunk from the free throw line, and social class just doesn't matter.

They don’t. At A&M, I had several classes where I saw a football player once or twice the entire semester....

Also had a buddy that was a PT for the football program and said they had “tutors” that were paid to basically do the work for them.

occasionally there are truly smart, hard working players that get both football and school done, but are usually in degrees like kinesiology or agricultural leadership. Very rare are players that are great at both football and a tough degree.

Most basketball players going to the NBA go to 2 years of college, most going to the NFL go to 3

I'm willing to bet that Shaquille O Neal took college seriously.

At least seriously enough to have his own business ventures after retiring

no that's in exchange for c's for a shit degree, and that's come from a NFL vet who came and spoke at one of my classes

Yes. The “general studies” degree.

Back