How do boxing clubs work exactly?

gracie_barra**

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am thinking of going hardcore into boxing and thinking of signing up at this boxing club. It is just strictly boxing and its something straight out of Rocky- old school coaches, dimly lit, old equipment, but crazy ass training. Alot of guys come out of this place going pro. I do not want to fight in Vegas or anything, mind you, I just want to take boxing to complete my standup arsenal (I am primarily a grappler). They do have boxing classes at my MMA gym, but its a group class so there is no ring time, and we do some padwork, shadow box , hit the bags, then rotate. Its good cardio, but I am hoping these tradition boxing clubs will really increase your boxing. From what I've noticed, you go in the ring with some old dude and he works you with pads and stuff. You also go nuts on the heavy bags and skip ropes. So has anyone ever been to a boxing club thats strictly boxing? If so, how are they ran?

The one I went to was pretty much the same way, no set times, just come in when u can and work out, spar if u want to, though you may need a liscence to spar, I did. You pretty much set your own pace unless you become a fighter then you have a much more regimated routine.

gracie_barra said:
I am thinking of going hardcore into boxing and thinking of signing up at this boxing club. It is just strictly boxing and its something straight out of Rocky- old school coaches, dimly lit, old equipment, but crazy ass training. Alot of guys come out of this place going pro. I do not want to fight in Vegas or anything, mind you, I just want to take boxing to complete my standup arsenal (I am primarily a grappler). They do have boxing classes at my MMA gym, but its a group class so there is no ring time, and we do some padwork, shadow box , hit the bags, then rotate. Its good cardio, but I am hoping these tradition boxing clubs will really increase your boxing. From what I've noticed, you go in the ring with some old dude and he works you with pads and stuff. You also go nuts on the heavy bags and skip ropes. So has anyone ever been to a boxing club thats strictly boxing? If so, how are they ran?

watch out for sharks--people who look down at you, but give you a false sense of progress, so you keep paying them b/c you think they're doing a good job teaching you.

my gym that i went to was great. it was free and the trainers were great. we had several coaches and they trained us by making us do heavy bag drills, plyometrics, sprints, sparring, conditioning, mitts and speedbag. it was semi-private and not too much ppl went there only fighters. too bad it closed down cause the owner, a retired profesional who had been running the club for over 20 years had been paying for everything, the equipment, rent, etc. all out of his own pocket and never charged anyone to train at his gym

ASiAnVaLEtUDo said:
my gym that i went to was great. it was free...
Holy shit, what gym was that?

it was kakaako boxing gym. the old man who owned his own painting business had the whole upstairs of his big garage open. i guess he decided to open up his own gym and bought all the equipment himself w/o charging anyone. he started coaching as he is a retired fighter, manager, and promoter. he was open for over 20 years and some guys that i know who are much older than me (i'm 18) said they went their whenthey were young too. some of them are fighters now. but yea, he retired in is business so he closed the gym down after all those years of his generosity. somebody would walk in and want to join and he would just tell them to sign up and they could train for free. one thing is that you would have to fight when you were ready though. this produced lots of fighters coming out of there

the gym's that i've worked out in were usually free-workout (not as in price, but as in u work out wherever and not in a 'class') atmosphere. Sometimes a coach would work w/ a fighter who was either new or a skilled prospect, giving tips and such to others on occasion. The key thing among the gyms was a no bullshit mentality. Any slackers or arrogant asswhipes w/o an ounce of skill were either kicked out or had their ass kicked in the ring........which led to them quitting.

myboxing gym allowed me to workout basically whenever i wanted to and i could pretty much do whatever i wanted there for free

http://www.boxing4fitness.com/ Thats where i plan on going whenever i decide if im playing hockey competitively this winter or not. Rich Franklin, Billy, Jorge, and Diesel have all trained here so im guessing its good. It seems more "class' oriented though...

boxing gyms always seem to intimidate for some reason, i guess to much rocky movies.

Freestyler said:
http://www.boxing4fitness.com/ Thats where i plan on going whenever i decide if im playing hockey competitively this winter or not. Rich Franklin, Billy, Jorge, and Diesel have all trained here so im guessing its good. It seems more "class' oriented though...

does he just offer fitness boxing classes or do they actually teach you how to fight?

So how much attention do you get on your technique as a newcomer? When you walk in for the first time does someone take you aside, show you the basics & give you some drills to work on? or is it more - here's a bag - go punch it and a few weeks later they might come over & give you some pointers.

Seriously too... No sparring w/o a "license"? Do all of you guys have this requirement?

Does the approach differ much from a boxing club t a MT club?

FIGHT FAN said:
does he just offer fitness boxing classes or do they actually teach you how to fight?
Thats what im wandering...I mean it claims the class is abdominal/core work, then bag work, then sparring...So im guessing yea, but how much focus, not much would be my guess unless you got personal lessons or some shit.

if theres sparring im sure its good, rich franklin goes there afterall, i doubt he goes there just for a good abdominal workout. the best bet would be to phone the place up or go in person and check out one of the classes.

yea first class is free so im def. down to test it out before i go. If its not any good ill just train MT at Gurgels...

I train at King's Boxing Gym in Oakland, Ca. Love it. I go in, train and box. My stand-up has improved so much and only getting better.

I'm joining this boxing club at my university and it looks really hardcore, we have to attend 6 out of 8 days of conditioning in order to be able to join the club, and I heard the conditioning is insane (two hours ... first hour is pushups, situps, duck walks, seal walks, morning glories, etc), second hour is all running.

If there isnt a ring..leave..cant spar without a ring and if theres no sparring its a BS soccer mom gym..I belong to a MT/BJJ/Vale tudo gym and I can come in there and do whatever I want..have weights too..Have freinds there so if the instructors are to busy to do focus mitts or MT mitts make some freinds and work out together

Back