How did your first marriage go wrong? 2nd? 3rd? 4th?

• Thread starter SouthoftheAndes
  • Start date
Theyre optimistic ?

You get married the first time because you have this romantic notion of love and you don't know that it doesn't exist.

You get married a second time because you're an optimist.

You get married a third time because you're a masochist.

I was married once, She was in it for the money and tried to get me to hit her but I recorded her talking to another woman about that.

I might consider getting married again to a supermodel who owns a brewery or a rich woman with no living relatives and a terminal illness.

I am 36 now, never married. I am just not monogamous and I'd hate to cheat on my wife and the guilt would probably destroy me from the inside but I don't know if I'd be able to stop myself from cheating for long. I never cheated on any of my ex's but I couldn't stay in relationships for a long time. My longest relationship would be around a year. I think I am better suited to just die alone in peace.

She couldn't deal with sharing me with my own family. Any time I got a visit from a family member or I was on the phone with them she went full retard.

Then, she installed web watcher on my laptop, it's a program that mirrors everything I do on my computer and she could see it all on hers. She would get mad when I emailed people back home and when I realized she installed that on my laptop I knew we had major issues.

Divorce was one of the greatest decissions I've ever made. I immediatly felt a weight lift off my chest. I'll never get married again.

50097954.jpg

EDIT - Ontopic, I've never been married. Probably never will.
Dont, its a sickk trap. Lol

If you love her and she loves you thats all you need.

I'm just getting the next woman a ring and thats that. Fuck a marriage

Yeah this is how I feel pretty much. If you look in previous generations marriages were held together by necessity, societal pressures, and lack of options.

These days you can have kids if you want without marrying. You're not shunned if you decide to leave or to cheat, most people really don't care that much. All the social networking keeps people constantly aware other options are out there.

What we call love is just a surge of hormones to get us to breed. Eventually that chemical high fades, and when it does you need someone perfectly compatible with you and willing to stay with one person for life.

Even when things aren't fun and easy. Most people just aren't wired for it.

Movies and pop culture lie to us about what relationships are like, and things are so different than they were for our grandparents that were forced into monogamy.

Main reasons marriage is failing as an institution are:

1) Previous external circumstances which held it together are missing (you already put it nicely) which called for a new foundation to be created
2) Newfound foundation is weak

You got it right that most people aren't wired for it, I've been saying that for years now. It should be reserved for idealists, those who see deeper meaning in it without being pressured into such a state of mind by indoctrination. Ordinary people usually marry for all the wrong reasons such as above listed traditional ones plus this hedonistic one which I'm about to outline.

In contemporary western civilization, the most widespread reason for getting married is what you so perfectly described: love, or rather that which people wrongly perceive as love and that would be infatuation. It has become a sort of drug, a weird combination of chemical reactions in our bodies that makes people feel good and special, in one word alive. To them, marriage is the ultimate way of enhancing this feeling; they fall victim to fallacy that such a commitment will help them reach peak experience and make it stay that way as long as it's intact. Reality is different, however. Prolonged exposure of nerves to one type of stimulation will inevitably result in desensitization. Hence - people either choose divorce and seek out someone else to awaken this feeling anew, or resort to chasing that thrill with different people while still staying married for kids or some other reason. All in all, they are building their happiness on sensations instead of ideals, which naturally gets them to a point where they're facing the wall of a one way street.

Newly betrothed have to ask themselves: "What is the purpose of my marriage? Is it the means or an end?"

I can make a compelling case on the topic of what constitutes a perfect marriage, but I'll restrain myself before I get into a writing frenzy. I don't want to occupy a significant portion of people's screens if they're not keen on reading the content. If you or anyone else is interested, hit me up with a reply and then we'll continue this conversation.

Last edited:
Main reasons marriage is failing as an institution are:

1) Previous external circumstances which held it together are missing (you already put it nicely) which called for a new foundation to be created
2) Newfound foundation is weak

You got it right that most people aren't wired for it, I've been saying that for years now. It should be reserved for idealists, those who see deeper meaning in it without being pressured into such a state of mind by indoctrination. Ordinary people usually marry for all the wrong reasons such as above listed traditional ones plus this hedonistic one which I'm about to outline.

In contemporary western civilization, the most widespread reason for getting married is what you so perfectly described: love, or rather that which people wrongly perceive as love and that would be infatuation. It has become a sort of drug, a weird combination of chemical reactions in our bodies that makes people feel good and special, in one word alive. To them, marriage is the ultimate way of enhancing this feeling; they fall victim to fallacy that such a commitment will help them reach peak experience and make it stay that way as long as it's intact. Reality is different, however. Prolonged exposure of nerves to one type of stimulation will inevitably result in desensitization. Hence - people either choose divorce and seek out someone else to awaken this feeling anew, or resort to chasing that thrill with different people while still staying married for kids or some other reason. All in all, they are building their happiness on sensations instead of ideals, which naturally gets them to a point where they're facing the wall of a one way street.

Newly betrothed have to ask themselves: "What is the purpose of my marriage? Is it the means or an end?"

I can make a compelling case on the topic of what constitutes a perfect marriage, but I'll restrain myself before I get into a writing frenzy. I don't want to occupy a significant portion of people's screens if they're not keen on reading the content. If you or anyone else is interested, hit me up with a reply and then we'll continue this conversation.

I agree successful marriage takes a certain kind of idealism that's hard to find these days. The most difficult part imo is a lot of people think they're ready for such a commitment, and talk a big game about how much they want it.

But feelings fade and marriage doesn't enhance those feelings or make them permanent. At the end of the day that level of commitment takes more than feelings. It takes resolution and a level of morality a lot of people aren't capable of.

Not to sound like I'm on a high horse but it's really true. I remember female coworkers and acquaintances as well as male friends being surprised by the way I carried myself.

One girl remarked it's like you don't even notice other women exist. I told her romantically they don't for me anymore. I've pledged my life to my wife and that's it for me as far as women go.

I believe you have to live with that mindset if you really want a marriage to succeed. There's no barrier to cheating or other levels of inappropriate intimacy other than the barriers you impose. You need to live your life in such a way that breaking your vows simply isn't an option.

I agree successful marriage takes a certain kind of idealism that's hard to find these days. The most difficult part imo is a lot of people think they're ready for such a commitment, and talk a big game about how much they want it.

But feelings fade and marriage doesn't enhance those feelings or make them permanent. At the end of the day that level of commitment takes more than feelings. It takes resolution and a level of morality a lot of people aren't capable of.

Not to sound like I'm on a high horse but it's really true. I remember female coworkers and acquaintances as well as male friends being surprised by the way I carried myself.

One girl remarked it's like you don't even notice other women exist. I told her romantically they don't for me anymore. I've pledged my life to my wife and that's it for me as far as women go.

I believe you have to live with that mindset if you really want a marriage to succeed. There's no barrier to cheating or other levels of inappropriate intimacy other than the barriers you impose. You need to live your life in such a way that breaking your vows simply isn't an option.

You shouldn't have a problem with sounding like you're on your high horse. You exhibit certain traits that are praise worthy and rare and you deserve to be able to take pride in them. Fuck humility for the sake of not offending puny mortals around you.

No need to tell me about people being in awe of your high fidelity since I am and always was in the same boat. What people usually can't comprehend is that in my case, there is literally no struggle involved to keep it that way, it comes off naturally. I might notice a good looking girl on the street but it's not as if not banging her is gonna plague my thoughts, quite the contrary - she's out of my mind as soon as she's out of my sight. Even when I was forced to be around attractive women, it never messed with my mind in that regard. That's because, to me, aesthetics is such a complex notion that encompasses a lot more than mere physical appearance, even a lot more than entire sensual experience. For instance, a woman can be delightful to see, hear, touch, smell and taste; if she's uneducated or uncultivated - everything goes down the drain.

More importantly, even if she meets all the standards there's still the problem of incompatibility. Every person is a unique, unfinished mosaic out on the quest to not only find its missing pieces in a partner but also fill partner's own missing pieces with his. Perfect matches are indeed a rare thing since they require introspection on both partners' parts as well as an uncompromising attitude when it comes to presenting yourself to potential partners, being that most people find themselves unworthy and uninteresting and therefore create personas/images that serve to attract the object of their desire. What they fail to understand is that sending away misinformation about yourself to your partner is gonna bite you in the ass down the road. I have countless examples to back this claim, some of them are insanely amusing.

Anyway, most important thing is to not give up on these virtues you possess. Don't let people talk you into renouncing them on the grounds of world being a horrific, Noir film like place where everyone is cynical and devoid of honor and ideals. Fearlessly communicate your seemingly outlandish outlooks to every potential woman with whom you're in the process of developing a relationship, with little regard to how you might come across. I guarantee you, most of them will be impressed by you because people's most intimate yearning is to have these virtues you have coupled with strong faith in some ideal, such as love. It doesn't mean they'll necessarily follow in your footsteps but it'll certainly raise your chances of inspiring alike individuals to not succumbing to all-present apathy and cynicism.

I refused to compromise and it has done wonders for me. Sure, some girls I had been with looked upon me as an unrealistic, romantic daydreamer and even ridiculed me for it but each and every one of them felt a glimpse of my passion's strength at one point. What kept them from jumping on board was their mundane opinion of themselves. They lacked divine and therefore presupposed everyone else did, too. Guess what happened to them? They all ended up having mediocre relationships and ultimately lives.

Persevere in your quest. That's what it's about.

"And a new day will dawn for those who stand long and the forests will echo with laughter."

>get married brehs

lel when will ppl learn

this isnt the same era out grandparents or even parents if ur older grew up in. Coming from a Western POV here

If my marriage doesn't workout, I will remain single for the rest of my life!

been married before, she cheated. justified it by saying,and i'll quote here "I'm bored" then blamed me for sleeping with other people. women can't take responsibility for what they do,to them its always someone else's fault. it gets even better when you bitch the bitch,she then hounds you for years and accuses you of not moving on and being jealous.
after the shit I've been through i hate women,the fuckers complain about how its a mans world and they get nothing,but the fuckers get money thrown at them when you kick em to the curb. and don't even get me started on the tricks the bitches pull with kids and the mind games they play.

Got about a paragraph in before I realized this is Ross from friends.

Lol, I kept asking myself why does that sound so familiar?

I'm 2 months in my first marriage. Going good so far. My wife is awesome.

In my opinion there is not a problem with marriage itself, rather there is a problem with the people getting married. People mistake "love" with the excitement and other positive sensations that they get in a new relationship. They make poor decisions based on these feelings expecting it will last forever, because it's love. Then a couple of years later, when she realises he's an arsehole, and he realises she's a whore, they think they have fallen out of love. But the truth is they weren't in love in the first place.

I've been married for 4 years, and the marriage is the same today as it was the day we got married. But we were together 11 years before that and lived together for 9.

I had a few pointless girlfriends, dated one for 13 months and gave her a bogus promise ring cause I knew the relationship was fucked and I didn't trust her and she slept around

It was horrible

But much later I met the girl I new was the right one, proposed to her 8 mos later and married a year later after that

Been married 4 years now and we got a house together and a garage and a shed and all that shit

Life is awesome right now for Clippy :)

I've been married and divorced twice. It basically boils down to the fact that women are ungrateful and can never be pleased. They always want more.

My wife and I met young. I was 20 she was 19. I can remember having to make a concerted effort to call her daily to keep her satisfied. I wasn't super into her, but she was very laid back and cool and we got along very well. Fast forward a couple years and we're still together. Apart from me never being like head over heels for her, she has everything you could want in a partner. She's stable, educated, employed, her family is all well adjusted, successful and supportive. My parents and her parents get along well, we rarely fight. But I'm not super satisfied. I start cheating on her. Usually once or twice a year, one night stand type flings. As our relationship goes on, it starts happening more frequently and more emotional as well as physical type affairs. After dating for a little over 8 years we start planning our wedding, but deep down I know it will end in divorce. I'm clean for all of 6 months after we get married. Fast forward another couple years, I meet a girl and fall crazy in love. She is getting married in 6 days when we meet. We aren't super crazy for each other until she's been married about 9 months, but at this point we see each other a couple times a week and both of us are planning to leave our spouses. She gets caught. She leaves her phone lying out while she's at her parents house texting me. They tell the husband. She loses her shit and her parents guilt her into "making it work" with the husband. I'm devastated. 6 months later I tell my wife I want a divorce. I know I'm never going to be truly satisfied being with her (and that she will most certainly be able to find a more fulfilling happiness for herself when she meets a man who loves her as much as she loves him). I can't bear the thought of falling in love with another woman and not being able to be with her because I haven't pulled the trigger on my own divorce. Final hearing is scheduled for later this month. Wife is already living and working in another city and I've been dating around a little.

Its a repeating trend in this thread to blame 'women' kind as a whole.

'Oh women cant take responsibility for their actions.'

'Women can never be pleased.'

Snort!

Of course you're not shit at relationships at all!

Maybe it's your fault for not picking the right woman to tie the knot with? I mean how do you not know your woman is a gold digger? How do you not see that shes the crazy protective type? That's fkin crazy!

Long story short. Found out my wife was having a year long affair with someone she worked with. I had been suspecting it just from the odd way she started acting (more trips to see her mom or more girl nights out type of deals) and eventually looked at her emails. I found it all right there. They'd been talking shit about me for a while as well. I felt pretty betrayed as you might guess and kicked her out of the house. I'm lucky he lived out of town because I went on a drive to hurt him and eventually came to my senses. If he had lived close I would probably be in jail now. She stayed with him for a while and caught him cheating on her. He was married with kids so they wrecked two marriages. He was in local politics and had to drop out because all of this. A real low life dbag. I moved on and found someone better but I'm a little untrusting of females in general as you would imagine.

Darn man, you did what you had to do, good thing you didn't let her treat you like a mat.

Discuss. Vent

Things you wish yout knew?

Never married. Likely never will till laws + women change. The narrative "don't need a man " reeks of misandry as does our society. I don't need a woman and given the waybwomen put out, why commit? nor do I need marriage as in bringing the state into my relationship.

Something I observed in relationships is the entitlement and can do no wrong. If it goes tits up she just collects. If parents get involved with their opinions whatever but if they continue to bring toxicity into your home gtfo. Nip it in the bud. If she doesn't like it she can go too.

It is the tip of the iceberg.

Back