How did you get into wrestling?

rammsteiner**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to start training in wrestling and I just wanna know from the wrestlers here how you guys went about doing so? My high school never had a team so unfortunately I never got the ability to do it except for gym class. So how did some of you guys get into? And is there any advice you would give to a guy wanting to get into it?

Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

My sister was friends with some of the guys on the team and they needed a little guy because that weight class was open, 20 years later I'm a coach.

well i was around 13 and my favorite movie was the crow. i was flipping the channels one day i saw this guy sting in white and black makeup just like brandon lee in the crow. he would come down from the rafters with a baseball bat and beat the crap out of these guys from a group called the nWo. from then on i was hooked until wcw folded.

one of my best friends that was a state placer his freshmen year talked me out of playing baseball to wrestle instead. I had more fun in the 3 years that I wrestled than the 12 years I played baseball.

Only advise is have fun and if it's your first year expect alot of people to be better than you but don't sweat over it if you don't make varsity.

Ohh yeah, do offseason clinics, practices, and tournaments. they help a ton

I had tried out for the basketball team in 7th grade. Unfortunately I hadn't considered that there isn't much of a need for short, chubby guys who can't jump, and only run down the court and shoot 3 pointers. One of my friends told me I should try wrestling, and had NO IDEA what amateur wrestling was, I thought I was going to get to hit someone with a chair. 13 years later, I have competed two years in college, currently coaching, and still loving the sport...not as much as I now love BJJ, but still love it nonetheless.

I got into wrestling after a street fight which went to the ground and was an eye opening experience for me.

The coach at my high school saw me wrestle at my old middle school after school and he kept pesturing me to join the team when i got to highschool and i didnt my freshman year but i did this year. (im only 16) Its really fun beating someone in a physical competition, it feels great. Except when you lose, espiecally 3 in a row at a tournament =/

My dad and uncle wrestled, my dad became a coach, my cousins became wrestlers, and so did I. It was a big part of my childhood actually.

I got into wrestling when I started getting taken down at random by wrestlers during sparring class:)

You have to learn wrestling to be able to stop it, funny how that works.

Big fan of Severn as a kid.

No boxin, BJJ. or Judo around me so I took up wrestling.

I started when I was 14, I was forced into it by a vice principal who said I needed discipline and probably thought losing a few pounds would help my self esteem.

There are certainly wrestling clubs in Toronto which could help you out.

I started in high school myself... it really started however because of my older brother. He just finished high school and was a 2-time CA state champion and took 4th in Nationals. So if it wasnt for him i wouldnt have started. Of course he got me into BJJ and MMA. Now that i think of it everything he did, i followed right behind him. Typical big bro lil bro stuff i guess. He was a better wrestler than I but i am a much better JJ practioner than he was at this point.

My high school sucked a load of shit because we didn't have a team either. No interest.

Basically I started last year (at 18) ..During the school year I just train with the uni team every day, two hours a day. Good shit.

I wish I would have wrestled at that age, but I was a little douchebag at that point and me and my friends would catch a glimpse of a wrestling practice and make fun of its gayness. Specifically the referee's position, although I didn't know that was what it was called.

My eyes were opened to grappling once I started watching the UFC, and I saw how effective wrestling and bjj/submission grappling is. After a few months of watching MMA I made my way down to ATT and started training.

I've had some interruptions, some injuries and ringworm, but I've been training ever since.

Didn't wrestler but did judo as a kid, thought I was going to learn how to kill people

well i was around 13 and my favorite movie was the crow. i was flipping the channels one day i saw this guy sting in white and black makeup just like brandon lee in the crow. he would come down from the rafters with a baseball bat and beat the crap out of these guys from a group called the nWo. from then on i was hooked until wcw folded.

HAHAHA that was badass

on topic: a friend of mine joined the wrestling team and showed me a couple moves then he proceeded to try and double leg me and i jumped into wrestling from there.

Back