How did you get into MMA?

I didn’t, I competed in Muay Thai mostly and just liked watching ufc fights. Got into bjj for 7-8 years because of that.

I was 13 and my cousin gave me VCDs with pride fights. Started doing BJJ when I was 14. So I’ve been watching mma for 17 years now

My older brother had the VHS of UFC 2. Watched it in probably 1995 or so. Thought it was cool but didn’t watch MMA again for over a decade.

What actually got me into MMA was Kimbo Slice. Around February or so of 2006 a friend told me about Kimbo and I watched his videos of beating guys up in boat yards and at bbqs, and thought he was a bad ass. I would have been 21 at the time. Then I saw the fight between Kimbo and Sean Gannon and then read that Gannon fought once in the UFC and got wrecked by a relative nobody. From there I looked up some UFC videos on YouTube and watched the Chuck/Randy trilogy and loved it.

A couple of months later TUF season 3 was on with Shamrock and Tito and I watched it religiously. From then I was hooked. The rest is history. Starting with UFC 62 I caught every single PPV live till probably around UFC 125 except for UFC 73 and 74 because at the time I was backpacking through Southeast Asia.

Was a WWE fan so i jumped ship to UFC when Lesnar started fighting
bork1}

What kind of question is this? That's like saying how did you "get into football"? I enjoy laying people out.

I watched UFC 1 in college. But, I didn't really start getting it again until watching Fedor on Pride around 2003.

When Brock joined the UFC. I hadnt really cared for it before than cause I didnt really know anybody but Tito Ortiz up til that point. I cant wait for Brock to make his return, the champ better be getting ready to get his ass kicked.

Lame. ;)

My friend at the time said "watch this"

and then I watched it

UFC 70 was on TV for free

Crocop died and I thought Gonzega was unstoppable

boy

Since 1993 with the ol SEG tapes. I recall I was one of the few who would talk about it at school. Others didn't believe it existed, and others still thought it was fake. I remember being stunned seeing Scott Morris take a series of unanswered elbows to the face from Patrick Smith. Was hooked for a long time. Have to admit, not the biggest fan for a while and I don't even come to these boards anymore for MMA.

Hollywood_Video_Laredo.jpg

i liked reality tv when i was younger so i ended up watching the first season of tuf. then kept watching the show for a few more seasons, and watching whatever fights they aired on spike. from there i started watching fights with two guys on saturday nights i think?

but like all things, i lost interest a few years ago.

I’d seen a clip on a post-pub tv show, and read an article about UFC 3 in Loaded magazine, then I saw an add in the paper to order 1, 2 an 3 on vhs so I bought them. It went off the radar for a while, until UFC 38 was on Sky Sports, then I found somewhere I could get hold of recent events. From there I found a couple of forums, SFUK mainly, and found people selling bootleg UFC and Pride DVDs. At the same sort of time a Royce Gracie BJJ club opened near me, and I started training.

I was aware of it since the mid 90's and have vague memories of seeing a few Gracie fights and thinking they were dull as ditchwater. Around the millennium I quite liked Japanese pro wrestling and I remember talk of Crocop destroying New Japan guys like Nagata drawing my interest, found a video of Nog vs Sapp from Shockwave 2002 and that definitely got me hooked.

Buddy was showing me early wand and saku highlights. I came in the year shogun won the the gp. He wasn't the shinning star of pride at the time, and was just rising. So to see a young guy beat such a huge rival in arona was amazing. Especially after he beat wand in that tourney.

an at the time, new friend and work colleague, who'd also got me seriously into lifting, introduced me to it, I moved back home a few years later, and found a good gym, and that's when things really took off, MMA burned brightly in my universe for around 6 years {6 training, I gave up watching after about 4}….haven't given a shit about it in a long, long time.

UFC 93 on VHS was my first exposure. Watched casually whenever I came across it, graduated from casual to JBG follower during the Chuck-Tito-Randy days.

I'm pretty much casual again now; I didn't even know Cody and TJ were fighting Saturday lol.

I think I had a somewhat natural progression. I started watching WWF as a kid, and then boxing and kickboxing on HBO with my dad. Then one day I bought one of those King of the Cage DVD sets with like 4 or 5 dvds in them. That got me interested in the sport, and then I saw Frank Mir snap Tim Sylvia's arm ..and I was hooked.

Kimbo Slice youtube videos (srsly)

Back