How did you find out your dog died?

I found one of our cats dead on the floor when I was about six years old. I would get out of bed on the weekends before my parents and go watch cartoons and when I went down stairs she was laying next to the table not moving. I went over, called her name a few times without any luck, then went to wake up my parents. That's a tough thing to phrase when you're that age. "Mom, wake up. I think the cat's dead."

When he quit struggling, although I can't be certain because I didn't let go for another ten minutes.

I found one of our cats dead on the floor when I was about six years old. I would get out of bed on the weekends before my parents and go watch cartoons and when I went down stairs she was laying next to the table not moving. I went over, called her name a few times without any luck, then went to wake up my parents. That's a tough thing to phrase when you're that age. "Mom, wake up. I think the cat's dead."

Is that her normal sleeping spot? I wonder why it moved and suddently died

Is that her normal sleeping spot? I wonder why it moved and suddently died

No, the cats usually slept in the basement. My guess is it was a heart attack or aneurysm. Something very sudden and catastrophic that left her with enough time to make it up the stairs before keeling over dead.

I have taken two dogs to the vet over the last 15 years to have em put down. The last one that died about 8 months ago was different. My parents took her for a walk and she was pulling like usual, running %110 percent all the time. They got home, put her in the kitchen and we all went out to dinner.

When we got home she wasn't bounding about like normal. Everyone stepped past her and didn't think anything. I immediately suspected something was wrong. I said her name a few times, and kneeled down to see if she was breathing and that was it. She was dead... Tongue out, emptied her basement, gone.

I assume her ticker popped on that long hard walk.

Looked outside and saw my Dad hauling its dead body out of his dog house and putting him in a wheel barrow :(

He lived to be over 20 years old though and ate people food so he had a good life.

People food is awesome.

I was there maaaaaaaaaaan. I cried so hard. First dog that I bought for myself at the time.

Damn lots of people here put their dogs down

Never owned a dog. But I've had cats disappear on me. My cat is now an indoor cat.

Looked outside and saw my Dad hauling its dead body out of his dog house and putting him in a wheel barrow :(

He lived to be over 20 years old though and ate people food so he had a good life.

Wow. 20 years is amazing.

Also, I remember back when I was in middle school, I found out my dog died since when my mother came to pick me up, she had it in the van. Apparently it had gotten hit by a car and died. This was a couple of weeks after she gave birth to a litter of pups. I don't remember if I cried, or how much I did, but I remember seeing it laid out on one of those big paper bags you used to get at the grocery store.

I once had to put a dog down after it stupidly challenged a mountain lion. One of the hardest things I've ever done.

Found him dead on his dog bed when I went to feed him in the morning. He had cancer that was getting worse and blew out his hips when he jumped down from the car earlier in the week so I knew he was going but it was still unexpected. We were dreading having to put him down but he went naturally. One of the worst mornings of my life, had him for 16 years.

The last dog I lost I found out in a letter when I was in bootcamp. We had 2 dogs when I left. I got a letter telling me 1 dog had died and like 2 days later the other one ran away. Sad day for me.

Dog didn't eat for several days and lost some serious weight. Dad went to the vet next morning and put her down. Didn't even say a chance to say good bye. :(

I remember I started crying at Dennys later that day. =/

Came home from school. Went to the back yard to play with the dogs like i did every day. Thought he was sleeping like you said. Noticed my other dog acting wierd. It finally hit me, and i lost it.

Just lost a dog two months ago aswell. My nephew left the gate open and it got hit by a car. I cried like a baby again. But i saw it happen so it was pretty traumatic.

Held him as they injected him with the heaven juice. Had a tumor in stomach was suffering.

Hardest emotional day of my life.

Back