How did the WW situation become so complicated and messy?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by iboufring**, Jan 14, 2015.

1. iboufring**

iboufring** Green Belt

Such a stacked division, no significant injuries in the top 5 and no divas who wants to pick their own fights or anything (maybe woodley but that doesnt effect the title).

So who is it to blame? Is it just that Robbie wants a serious time off, Joe Silva who fails at obvious matchmaking or has Dana some other plans in mind? A combination of all three maybe? Who knows

It really should be:
    Rory/Lawler 2 for the title
    Winner of KG/Woodley vs Hendricks
    Brown vs Lombard

Nothing else makes sense other than lombard/Hendricks as a contender fight in my opinion. Rory should get the next shot and has gone through a murderers row to get here.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Red Belt

Ufc 171 IMO.

It got really messy, jake sheids was close to a title shot got destroyed then cut, condit got injured fighting woodley and was out for over a year now, then hendricks won the belt, got injured and took almost all of the rest of the year off, leaving the title in limbo making robbie have to pick off ellenburger and derail matt browns title chances.

Rory then went on to fight woodley whooped him and took hin out of the title picture too. Rory himself is excluded from the title picture after losing to robbie recently before that

3. Eldorian

Eldorian Purple Belt

The problem with the WW title is that Hendricks and Lawler didn't have to fight in a tournament for the vacant title.

4. gradenine**

gradenine** White Belt

GSP- Hendricks "controversial" decision--- it started snowballing from there

5. Melegaunt

Melegaunt Orange Belt

Rory isn't excluded. He lost a split decision to Lawler and has looked great against solid competition since.

6. iboufring**

iboufring** Green Belt

Thanks judges

7. RockyLockridge

RockyLockridge Red Belt

I was speaking of when it happened not now

8. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

Seriously?

9. digitalman45

digitalman45 Green Belt

Rory vs Johnny shouldve been set up (gets rid of one unnecessary rematch for Lawler)

Brown vs Lombard (Violence and tests Lombard 5 round cardio)

Woodley vs Gastelum winner next in line (Builds Lawler or sets up a new champ and gets rid of all rematches)

I'm just getting tired of rematches.

10. tbulls123

tbulls123 Green Belt

GSP made it a mess by leaving. lol. but you can say hendricks being injured and fighting lawler again. If he didn't get injured the WW will be different.

11. iboufring**

iboufring** Green Belt

Good idea too. Im just disliking the fact that Rory isnt getting the next shot for many different reasons

12. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

I think he'll dominate Lombard and end up getting the next shot anyway.

13. dc007

dc007 mr. white belt

Taking GSP out of the division made it boring. None of these guys are dominant enough to hold the title for more than a fight or two. MW is fun because the Chris looks to be a true dominant champ like Silva was before him. UFC makes it worse by having the same 2 guys fight each other for the belt over and over.

14. iboufring**

iboufring** Green Belt

Umm yeah man

15. machidafan99

machidafan99 Silver Belt

The truth? After GSP left we all over-hyped a few fighters that we know are not the top fighters and Condit got injured and general chaos ensued.

TBO, Rory vs. Lombard seems like the true title fight we should be having with a belt on the line.

16. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

I'm a little puzzled by this. I get "messy", but does a significant amount of people actually think it's boring? I think WW and MW currently are the most exciting divisions in the sport

17. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

I think your standards for what constitutes a "murderers' row" might be a little loose.

18. iboufring**

iboufring** Green Belt

GSP's reign became boring in the end. His fights went on longer than they should. WW is fun now, just a bit of bad luck and timing.

Honestly i think the belt is up for grasp in MW. Weidman doesn't have that aura yet. He was a bad style fight for Silva but there are guys in that division who are nightmare fights for him. Jacare, Rockhold, Romero and Vitor all have a 60-40 chance imo

19. iboufring**

iboufring** Green Belt

You been here since 2008. Act like it bro.

Woodley (possibly next in line)
    Saffiedine (last strikeforce champ, didnt lose since)
    WW Maia (was on a killer streak himself and imo won against shields)

Why do i have to explain those stuff? Also notice how i said that he went through a murderers row notthat he won against everyone. Lawler and condit beat him in competetive bouts

20. SocraticMethod

SocraticMethod Kingmaker

I am acting like it by not resorting to hyperbole. Maia, Saffiedine, and Woodley are good fighters, but they certainly aren't the MMA equivalent of the '27 Yankees.

Your comment about "going through" not equating to beating them is just silly.

Rory is a very good fighter who has beaten some very good fighters and lost to the two best fighters he's ever faced. I have little doubt that he'll beat Lombard and I think he'll beat Robbie in a rematch. But let's not pretend that he's some mind-boggling run.