How did the magny/silva fight go?

NeverAgainPlaya

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Had to run out to the store for just a few minutes and ended up missing the whole damn thing. sherdog front page said magny outlanded silva by a wide margin, but it looks like it was a split decision.

was it REALLY a split, or did the blind judges just turn in some sketchy score cards?

How did each round look?

29-28 Silva was an absolute travesty and someone should lose their job for that. Magny kept him at range with the jab and when Silva pressed, he ate knees to the face.

In rd3 Silva had some leg kick success, but that was about it from him.

magny used his length and jab extremely well. they both had a couple takedowns but magny was able to control the smaller silva on the ground better than the opposite.

silva was obviously much more powerful, but didn't land a clean shot.

should have been a clean 30-27

Magny controlled him very well, I feel like anyone who can't out grapple Magny is going to have a shit load of trouble with him.

First round Magny
2,3 were close but prolly Magny

Silva looked horrendous, Total dissappointment. Still a close fight tho, somewhat

How did it go? To the judges.

Not a very good showing for either guy. Magny clearly won, but he could have finished, and it was almost like he chose to coast, instead of finish.

First round Magny
2,3 were close but prolly Magny

Silva looked horrendous, Total dissappointment. Still a close fight tho, somewhat

close in the sense that nobody got hurt, but me thinks it was a clear points victory for magny.

that one judge was smoking good stuff.

Ugh that fight was horrible Silva looked like he lost all of his explosiveness and recklessness and tried to fight "smart and technical".

Not a very good showing for either guy. Magny clearly won, but he could have finished, and it was almost like he chose to coast, instead of finish.

Silva isn't a guy you want to get reckless against, he has KO power in his punches and his kicks. Magny played it smart and picked up a win over a solid opponent, can't hate on him for that.

Magny was throwing some left/right uppercut combos that I was hoping would end like DC/Silva

but yeah Erick didn't look good

Silva isn't a guy you want to get reckless against, he has KO power in his punches and his kicks. Magny played it smart and picked up a win over a solid opponent, can't hate on him for that.
I'm talking about when Magny had back mount in round 1, and Silva turtled up and didn't even try to escape, but magny stopped punching and waited for the buzzer. Silva is a dangerous dude, but it looked like Magny had him.

It looked like you'd expect, with Magny using his range and jab. Good scrambles on the mat with each fighter having some success. Silva didn't gas as bad as usual but just didn't seem to have his usual strength/explosion. He looked like he lost a TON of mass, apparently on purpose.

The way Magny fought in the second and third rounds (passively but still more effectively than Silva) I had a feeling there might be a sketchy decision incoming. Fortunately, unlike MJ vs. Dariush, Magny didn't end up on the wrong end of a bad decision.

It looked like you'd expect, with Magny using his range and jab. Good scrambles on the mat with each fighter having some success. Silva didn't gas as bad as usual but just didn't seem to have his usual strength/explosion. He looked like he lost a TON of mass, apparently on purpose.

or due to certain new testing.......:D

29-28 Silva was an absolute travesty and someone should lose their job for that. Magny kept him at range with the jab and when Silva pressed, he ate knees to the face.

In rd3 Silva had some leg kick success, but that was about it from him.

This.

Silva looked atrocious. Very sloppy
& far less in shape than a dude who had
3 weeks notice.

Magny was an underdog showing up on 2 weeks notice and he won the fight decisively. How was that not a good showing? You can't appreciate good technique.

close in the sense that nobody got hurt, but me thinks it was a clear points victory for magny.

that one judge was smoking good stuff.

In the end the right guy won. It is what it is

Back