How did the good guys in Lord of the Rings kill Ancalagon, who is 1000x bigger than Smaug?

That picture is always used as some kind of scientific source of size when Tolkien may have been being metaphorical with phrases like "big as a mountain".
I don't really like counting any of the stuff Tolkien didn't publish himself as canon, things put together from various notes isn't the same level of thought that was put into a finished book.

That picture is always used as some kind of scientific source of size when Tolkien may have been being metaphorical with phrases like "big as a mountain".
I don't really like counting any of the stuff Tolkien didn't publish himself as canon, things put together from various notes isn't the same level of thought that was put into a finished book.

Is this why I love the trilogy and hobbit but the simalarion seemed so awful ?

Some good answers in this thread. You guys know your shit.

Elrond’s Dad crashed a flying boat into him and he crashed down into the ground and caused half the continent to sink into the ocean. Seriously.

Yeah, exactly, wasn't it like the Elf version of the Titanic, there was a little Irish elf called Conor on it.

Ancalagon is massive. Look at that mountain he's gripping on. Who did the good guys in the world of LOTR have that can kill something like Ancalagon. Not only that, but armies of Balrogs, other dragons, etc..

cdbcdbdfc8856cc95cc9ae3ee98487fdf36580497210b114fbea24cc26f683f7_1.jpg

Yeah his size is being overstated in the OP, I figured he was meant to be talking in myth, over time his size got greatly exaggerated.

He was beat by Thorondor the King of the Eagles.

main-qimg-0b5caf39582e1808bfca14bb1285d8f4

He was real big himself.

The eagle is meant to be 55m high with Ancalagon a similar size.

LOTR Wiki says on the dragons size:
Ancalagon's size is not specified, but must have been colossal due to the destruction of "the towers of Thangorodrim" when he fell on them, which are elsewhere identified with the three smoking peaks of those mountains.[6] However, his size cannot be assumed to be larger than Thangorodrim; some powerful but comparatively small creatures are able to cause great destruction even in death, such as Durin's Bane breaking the slopes of Celebdil.

America always sorts the bad guys out :cool:
We came in from the West and Eagled that Dragon :cool:
2qi4ZjCiRoY_5OrdlVJsD0dYmMe_kWZyn59DuE4lRcVbVRL6sOLpZNGyQu0qgLZbVVOiubjZF1hMhYWgjrn2ttLEh15EJ3DJLltHvBFqf24

I looked it up and it says Eärendil defeated him. I’ve read all the books and don’t remember any of these fools

I thought the bad guy was that eye jawn?

Sauron?

Or is that from something else?

Is this why I love the trilogy and hobbit but the simalarion seemed so awful ?
I was so excited as a teenager to find a Tolkien book I hadn't read yet....sadly that book was The Simarillion and it sucked hard. It was like a history book written like the old testament, only longer. On a related note, Farmer Giles of Ham didn't suck, was much shorter, and completely different.

Back