How did Target possibly screw up the Canadian expansion?

Our Walmarts are (typically) not real trashy. I remember we had an American at my workplace and we were discussing Walmart. He said that yeah, our Walmart patrons are good. He said if I lived in the states, I would not be going to Walmart.

lol ya it's the complete opposite. The Wal-Mart in my city is pretty nice, at least compared to Target. Target/Zellers was shit tier compared to Wal-Marts Smiley Tier.

i live in canada minutes from the border. the way it goes here is the cdn border guards as a courtesy to the locals will let you bring back lets say under $100 (in groceries or what have you) and a pack of smokes and a six pack...i assume its the same for all americans that cross over to canada...lol but once americans see what we pay for milk, cheese, alcohol and tobacco that pretty much kills the idea.

but if they wanted could make you declare and pay taxes on your goods. a canadian has to be in the states for 48hrs then youre allowed to bring back up to $800. (ive gone down and camped out in a campsite to bring back $800 worth of stuff).

canada is expensive as...
where im at there is a postal outlet right across the border that everyone orders stuff to. Shipping to canada adds about another $50 to the order plus you guys have way more variety of things you can order.

I do 75% of my shopping in the states. When we do groceries I spen about 250$ and I usually bring back one 24 pack of beer. Never get pulled in to pay duty.

The only thing CBP is anal about is dairy. Its a 20 cap on that. And usually if you spend over that youll pay duty.

i dont smoke or dip but if i did haha. all my american cousins cant believe the price of smokes here when they visit.

when i go down i make sure to have an empty tank and fill up...i think after dollar conversion it works out to about 30cents/liter cheaper.

The young guns around here have what they call the jerry can scam...where you go down with a jerry can labelled 50:1 and fill it with 3 litres of hard liquor cheap as...then hold your breathe at the border. (haha i recently learned about everclear from them). Then at the party the jerry can is just passed around and it looks like youre drinking straight gas.

I dont drink hard shit but it is alot cheaper...beer not so much...maybe a couple bucks cheaper for a six pack but they have some pretty sweet micro breweries.

The steretype of american beer being shite is all lies

We have ever clear Out here in ab. And I remember beer being super cheap as well

17,000 people, damn. At least they waited until after holidays.

Had to see this coming, but I'm shocked Target took such a bath on the Canadian stores before they finally pulled the plug.

Wonder if there will be any blowout deals? :D

17,000 people, damn. At least they waited until after holidays.

Had to see this coming, but I'm shocked Target took such a bath on the Canadian stores before they finally pulled the plug.

Wonder if there will be any blowout deals? :D

I don't know how it works in Canada but here in the US, people fall for "liquidation" sale. It starts at 10% off and usually all the good stuff is gone by then. By the time it reaches 40% off, even the crappy items are gone. It's all about perception.

This happened at Blockbuster stores over here.

I don't know how it works in Canada but here in the US, people fall for "liquidation" sale. It starts at 10% off and usually all the good stuff is gone by then. By the time it reaches 40% off, even the crappy items are gone. It's all about perception.

This happened at Blockbuster stores over here.

Yeah it works the same. I was just being naive.

They thought they were going to flourish on their name alone, which lasted a few months; the time it took for every canadian Target enthusiast to make one trip to the store and realized it wasn't the same as the American Target experience.

Higher minimum wage, inventory problems, and inability to adjust to the Canadian market are some of the major problems they encountered.

This will undoubtedly serve as a case study for business strategy students on how to NOT grow via market expansion.

Oh I forgot to mention that they expanded way too rapidly and aggressively. They bought out an entire franchise (zellers) and started opening up Target stores left and right in every major areas of population in Canada. They should have just opened up a few stores in key locations (Toronto, Vancouver for example) and take determine what kind of issues they were having. It isn't like time was of the essence to get in there as fast as possible otherwise competition will catch up and eat up their slice of the market pie.

Just needs a Swiss Challete in every store instead of McDonalds. And maybe serve some hot cups of maple ham glaze instead of popcorn. For the aromatic effect.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

And now Sony is following suit. Closing all of their Canadian retail stores.

Lol at Sony store thinking they were apple

I never understood that, if I can get your products at any other store why would I go to a brand specific store, not like there was significant savings.

I never understood that, if I can get your products at any other store why would I go to a brand specific store, not like there was significant savings.

Apple has the cult following so going to an apple store feels like going to a temple. Apple is so good at acquiring new clients and having them believe that their brand is gospel. They really understand their client and their clients' wants.

Sony? They're the guys who constantly compete with Xbox aren't they? Yeah...

Apple has the cult following so going to an apple store feels like going to a temple. Apple is so good at acquiring new clients and having them believe that their brand is gospel. They really understand their client and their clients' wants.

Well this was the last apple product I owned. I never drank the Koolaid.
ch_2.jpg

Sony got slaughtered by it's shortcomings with their smart phones...they make a killing off of the PS and PSN...

I think I went went to a Target Canada once (I live in Ontario). I think they expanded way too fast. 133 stores since March 2013. They also had major inventory issues, if they only opened a few stores in major locations they could have maybe resolved those instead of having 133 stores with half empty shelves.

As mentioned, they didn't have the american brand names, and they just tried to plop themselves into vacant Zellers buildings. A lot of Zellers were in shitty locations, and not as big as American Target stores, etc. They layout of the stores weren't the same.

Canadian's wanted American Target stores in Canada, and Target didn't provide that.

Back