How did Target possibly screw up the Canadian expansion?

I'd like to hear more about this one. . .

It wasn't anything hyper-offensive or anything - it's more death by a thousand cuts. The ad campaign was extremely pandering. It was the "Marcus Davis is Irish" of American department stores expanding into Canada. It had a distinct air of "We're coming to Canada and we're your neighbours, EH? We're new in the neighbourhood, come visit us, EH?" They don't have the cultural heritage to pull the type of ad that they did the way that a store like Canadian Tire or Home Hardware does. It was obnoxious.

I don't work directly for Target, but I do work at a Target location selling cell phones as part of their "Target Mobile" operation. So I'm in Target all the time. Honestly, I'm pretty surprised to hear all this Canadian love for the place. Before I started working there, I would step into a Target once or twice a year at best. And even now that I work there, I don't really shop there.

It's not so much that people loved it - it's that for those living close to the border, it was the place to go to get the same stuff you could get in Canada, but way cheaper because of the value of the CAD.

Places like Macy's, JC Penney etc don't get as much love because you can get decent stuff from The Bay on the cheap, because they're always having monster sales. Seriously, people so rarely pay full price at The Bay that it's strange they stay in business. But Target was the place to go because even when those goods were on sale in Canada, they'd still be cheaper full price at Target in the US.

i was in target before christmas kicking tires. didn't buy anything and won't be back. It was dark and there was shit all over.

I'll give it to them that the one in Coquitlam in my hood is CLEAN....like

no massive store should ever be as clean as that place....

feels like I'm breathing in the chemicals they use to keep that place clean...it has a very bizarre smell to it... like bleach gets dumped on everything at the end of the night

Target sucks just as bad as Zellers does. I hate their store decor and their prices suck. Walmart ftw. I mean red and white? What a lame color combination. It's like they are trying to pander to us.

And this is why I shop at Costco, or Canadian Tire.

I feel bad for you dudes from Canada. American Target is pretty tits. You can get anything there. Last time I was there I got 16 white t shirts, some chocolate mint ice cream, a couple DVDs, and a lint roller for like 35 bucks.

At least in my part of town, Target is basically the not as white trash version of Walmart.

I feel bad for you dudes from Canada. American Target is pretty tits. You can get anything there. Last time I was there I got 16 white t shirts, some chocolate mint ice cream, a couple DVDs, and a lint roller

So jelly. You wouldn't believe the lint I'm dealing with here

I buy thermal sweaters at Target right after new years. They mark them down cheaper than most white t-shirts. Last year I purchased five sweaters for 15 bucks.

Tarjay is more expensive than Wal-Mart. But, it is nicer and has better customer service.

Plus, the Target in my area, has a Starbucks and Pizza Hut inside.

Target is alright, price wise they are still higher than Walmart.

And this is why I shop at Costco, or Canadian Tire.

this was the only real store when I grew up in small town Ontario.

What about Mark's Work Warehouse?

Target is closing all Canadian stores. Experiment failed.

Target says it plans to discontinue all operations in Canada and seek protection from creditors, less than two years after opening to much fanfare.

In a release early Thursday, the U.S. retail chain said it will close all its locations in Canada. There are 133 stores across the country with about 17,600 employees.

The company launched in Canada in the spring of 2013.

But after high expectations, the chain failed to deliver right out of the gate as customers faced higher-than-expected prices, and empty shelves as the retailer had problems with its distribution chain.

Target lost almost $1 billion in its first year in Canada, and while the losses have shrank since then, the chain is still losing money daily.

Target said the decision to close shop in Canada will cost between $500 million and $600 million in cash from the U.S. parent's bottom line, but results in a writedown of about $5.4 billion from an accounting perspective in the upcoming fourth-quarter earnings.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories...rotection-plans-to-close-all-stores-1.2901618

lol holy shit there's failure and then there's this kind of failure. I still don't understand how they screwed up so badly.

lol holy shit there's failure and then there's this kind of failure. I still don't understand how they screwed up so badly.

They didn't do the required market research and they went in unprepared from a distribution standpoint.

I made a vow to never go back to a Canadian Target but I think I'll break that vow if I can pilfer some super discounted products of the shelves.

Walmart has that game on lock.

Walmart is fuckin unstoppable. I actually find them fascinating as a corporation. They really have their shit together.

I was extremely disappointed in the Target debut. I went to an American Target once when I was in Minneapolis for work. It was pretty awesome! Then I bragged it up to everybody when I heard they were taking over Zellers. Boy did they make a fool out of me (and themselves).

They didn't do the required market research and they went in unprepared from a distribution standpoint.

I made a vow to never go back to a Canadian Target but I think I'll break that vow if I can pilfer some super discounted products of the shelves.

The shelves are already empty based on what I've seen.

Back