How did Target possibly screw up the Canadian expansion?

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I don't understand it.

Thousands of Canadians cross the border JUST to shop at target. All they needed to do was bring their inventory to Canada and they had a massive consumer pool slobbering at the chance to buy from them.

But they purchased Zellers, a Canadian retail chain losing marketshare for years, and just kept selling Zellers products. People expected... and, I have to emphasize, slobbering at the chance to spend money on... Target products at Target prices.

They would have had to actively try to screw it up. Can someone explain to me how it happened?

The Zellers in my town was supposed to be a target by now, still an empty building lol

I saw a news story the day they opened and they were interviewing people that showed up the first day. Everyone was saying that their prices were kinda high and that they probably wouldn't be back. Never actually seen one of their stores.

1. Target Canada doesn't carry the brands American Target has.

2. Distribution issues led to bare shelves for much of existence in Canada so far. I still see bare shelves at my local Targets.

3. They can't compete with Walmart.

I don't understand it.

Thousands of Canadians cross the border JUST to shop at target. All they needed to do was bring their inventory to Canada and they had a massive consumer pool slobbering at the chance to buy from them.
That is the problem. They don't sell the same inventory. There's probably importing issues with some brands. Target Canada is like a more expensive Walmart with empty shelves. The checkout service is just as slow as Walmart. I remember that was one of their claims, that they had shorter checkouts. I don't think that's true. Last time I was there, they had 2 cashiers open and very long lines.

I've never heard a Canadian say they were coming down just to shop at Target.

1. Target Canada doesn't carry the brands American Target has.

2. Distribution issues led to bare shelves for much of existence in Canada so far. I still see bare shelves at my local Targets.

3. They can't compete with Walmart.

Thus sums it up.

Local mall has both a target and a walmart. Target was originally a Zellers, so when the buyout was announced and that this location was switching over, they already had a building ready to go.

However, they took so long to open after the Zellers closed that Walmart was able to lease land at that same mall, completely construct a new building, stock it, staff it and have it opened months before Target opened. Yeah, from empty land to a fully functional (if rather "minimalist") Walmart in less time than it took Target to change over some signs and do a bit of painting inside.

Target Canada is just for people who're sick of constantly going to WalMart and just need the occasional change in scenery.

They moved in way too fast and expanded way too quickly. The Waltons are probably laughing their asses off over this.

I don't understand it.

But they purchased Zellers, a Canadian retail chain losing marketshare for years, and just kept selling Zellers products. People expected... and, I have to emphasize, slobbering at the chance to spend money on... Target products at Target prices.

They would have had to actively try to screw it up. Can someone explain to me how it happened?

1) Going to the States is kind of a trip
2) Canadian dollar has been dropping, with lower taxes it is easier to buy in the States

I didn't shop at Zellers hardly ever so wouldn't even know. I know I got Black Friday door-crashed 42" 1080p TV for my parents for $120. That is all.

Target got cocky and thought their reputation would win customers over. That, along with several other stumbles coming out of the gate essentially doomed them. They would be better off taking the loss and closing up shop.

What da fuq is so exciting at target? There's one right by my house I go maybe once a year to get a shower curtain

I've never heard a Canadian say they were coming down just to shop at Target.

Lots of Canadians are Target Zombies. When I was in university everyone raved about shopping at Target and Hot Topic. Ten years later they feel silly about Hot Topic, but still get excited for Target.

What da fuq is so exciting at target? There's one right by my house I go maybe once a year to get a shower curtain

They've got cool stuff we don't have in Canada. 300 brands of cereal. I remember looking at a bean bag matress and seriously wondering if I could strap it to the roof of my car and if border agents would cut it open looking for drugs. It would was totally square and as long as my car, so the sides would have hung down and totally blocked all the side windows. I'm sure front and back visibility would have been effed as well.

This thread reeks of government assistance.

I really enjoy shopping at Target Canada. Everything is nice and neat, the aisles are really wide, and best of all, they don't play any music.

It's a babe magnet.
The hottest chicks from your entire town will shop there.
Walmart is a meat market.

The border guards let them back across with US goods?

Back