How did Shogun solve Machida's style?

With one punch.

Shogun was losing the round up until that exchange.

Machida is my favorite fighter, but this was beautiful:
shogunbreakdown.gif

Machida is my favorite fighter, but this was beautiful:
shogunbreakdown.gif
^^^ Couldn't agree more.....

^^^ MT > Karate in that one.... an epic MMA match & match up Rua / MT vs. Machida / Karate....

>>>> Incidentally, Lyoto's overall form here is not traditional Shotokan.... ****

KarateStylist

**** EDIT: Probably a bit of an overstatement on my part....

aggressive, utilized the leg kicks, timed machida perfectly and protected the head

466619_o.gif

The rematch was all about Machida's flawed gameplan as opposed to Shogun solving his style, he already beat him straight up in the first fight. In the rematch, Machida was uncharacteristically aggressive and he got knocked out for it. He's doesn't have the style or the tools to beat Shogun in a firefight, few men do.

^^^ I do this all the time.... so what?

^^^ TSG "strikes" again.......
^^^ AHHHH, neither of these punches by Machida were "STRAIGHT" PUNCHES....

^^^ More accurately, Reverse 'Cross' Punch / Miss {& AND &} Reverse 'Cross' Punch / Miss. ****

^^^ This is what happens when you mix boxing & karate = MMA-----------replacing mentality with physicality........

KarateStylist

**** In Shotokan karate grading, GRADE = F-

Sorry, I'm not on the up and up with Shotokan terminology. Forgive me. However, it can't be denied that Machida's reliance on the 'reverse cross' is a major flaw that needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm not on the up and up with Shotokan terminology. Forgive me. However, it can't be denied that Machida's reliance on the 'reverse cross' is a major flaw that needs to be addressed.
^^^ 'reverse cross' & Miss.... you left out the 'Miss.'

^^^ Missing is bad in boxing / MMA....

>>>> Missing in traditional karate is a mortal sin.... and 'Chida died @ 113....

People @ this forum can ask me questions.... don't question my overview of traditional karate.... it's a different skill set than Sinister's slick 'splitting of hairs....'
The rematch was all about Machida's flawed gameplan as opposed to Shogun solving his style, he already beat him straight up in the first fight. In the rematch, Machida was uncharacteristically aggressive and he got knocked out for it. He's doesn't have the style or the tools to beat Shogun in a firefight, few men do.
^^^ You guys can put up copy.... that's for sure.....

>>>> Machida's gameplan was 'flawed,' really, no? Sullivan66 covered this in depth.... and you were on point....

KarateStylist

Last edited:
^^^ I do this all the time.... so what?

^^^ TSG "strikes" again.......
^^^ AHHHH, neither of these punches by Machida were "STRAIGHT" PUNCHES....

^^^ More accurately, Reverse 'Cross' Punch / Miss {& AND &} Reverse 'Cross' Punch / Miss. ****

^^^ This is what happens when you mix boxing & karate = MMA-----------replacing mentality with physicality........

KarateStylist

**** In Shotokan karate grading, GRADE = F-

Sorry I'm not on the up and up with Shotokan terminology. Forgive me. However, it can't be denied that Machida's reliance on the 'reverse cross' is a major flaw that needs to be addressed.

What fight were you watching?, Jones couldnt keep Lyoto down and he landed one elbow in the entire fight, im so confused right now.

Huh? 85% of Jones' shots were landed when Lyoto was standing... Jones mentioned in the presser that he was surprised how little Lyoto moved on the ground... are you fucking with me or something? :icon_neut

There's no such thing as a reverse cross in Shotokan...

^^^ 'reverse cross' & Miss.... you left out the 'Miss.'

^^^ Missing is bad in boxing / MMA....

>>>> Missing in traditional karate is a mortal sin.... and 'Chida died @ 113....

KarateStylist

No shit he missed. The point I'm making is that he missed and was in turn countered because his cross counter has become predictable. Stop trying to be some elitist like Shotokan is the end all be all of striking arts. If Machida doesn't make changes to his striking he will continue to get countered by other competent strikers.

Pressure/moving forward.

Every fighter that has ever pressured Machida has tagged him

If you rush forward on Machida, he back peddles with his hands down. The fighter usually stops at that point. Shogon chased down and hit him every time.

I think Machida is the worst guy I've seen when it comes to someone pressuring him and I see Hendo being able to do the same thing Rua did.

JDS does poorly when pressured

I disagree entirely, I think you can see in the rematch Machida's knowledge that he came off second best to Shogun fighting his typical game in the first match while Shogun likely had a bit more confidense and a desire to not leave it in the hands of the judges.

Lyoto was argebuley winning the round up until the punch but the threat of Shogun working him with lowkicks and in the clinch again was forcing him to play Rua's game where he was always more likely to get a finish.

The second fight was more Machida's error than Shogun's change of strategy. If Machida hadn't been over-aggressive and attacked again after that knee like he never does, Shogun would have just out pointed him again.

It's no secret that Machida backs up against 3 or 4 attacks, then stands his ground with a counter strike on a final one and catches his opponent coming in. Shogun's answer in the first was to use the 3 or 4 times backing up to hack out the trailing leg.

Machida obviously felt he had something to prove in the rematch (and he did because he was pretty flukey with that decision) and looked too much to hurt Shogun. The first round of the second match was pretty similar to the other 5 rounds up until the knockout, minus the takedowns.

Jones beat Machida in a different way, by baiting Machida into countering (with the superman hook) and nailing him with the hook on the side that Machida pulls his hand back to his hip rather than his jaw.

I did a Q&A with Mike Winkeljohn a little while back where we discussed it, he's a really interesting guy.

The second fight was more Machida's error than Shogun's change of strategy. If Machida hadn't been over-aggressive and attacked again after that knee like he never does, Shogun would have just out pointed him again.

It's no secret that Machida backs up against 3 or 4 attacks, then stands his ground with a counter strike on a final one and catches his opponent coming in. Shogun's answer in the first was to use the 3 or 4 times backing up to hack out the trailing leg.

Machida obviously felt he had something to prove in the rematch (and he did because he was pretty flukey with that decision) and looked too much to hurt Shogun. The first round of the second match was pretty similar to the other 5 rounds up until the knockout, minus the takedowns.

Jones beat Machida in a different way, by baiting Machida into countering (with the superman hook) and nailing him with the hook on the side that Machida pulls his hand back to his hip rather than his jaw.

I did a Q&A with Mike Winkeljohn a little while back where we discussed it, he's a really interesting guy.

If you believe Shogun would have likely won a decision then surely that somewhat justifes Lyoto's tactics? less Lyoto having something to proove and more a case of him realising he most likely would not get another gift decision.

By having a chin and punching Machida in the head.

Back