How did Shogun solve Machida's style?

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Split off from the other Shogun thread, I'm thinking back over his UFC career, and his dissection of Machida is one of the most impressive things I've seen.

So how did he do that? Did TheStrikingGuy cover this?

When I first watched Machida, I guessed that you had to be able to kick to damage him, since Machida fought an extra half-step away and was always on his back foot on top of it. And Shogun did that in the first fight and had great success, but then the second fight he just straight knocked Machida the **** out.

After the fight, all I remember him saying was "this time I worked on my hands." It seems like no one else before or since has been able to do that to Lyoto, so it couldn't have been simple, could it?

Does anyone have any other observations on this?

Shogun was quicker than he was now and utilized great leg kicks along with straight punches. Shogun was the first to just get in his face and actually hit him.

Now though lyoto would win.

Machida simply got cocky and tried to beat Shogun at his own game, he said in the 1st fight he controlled the fight at long and close distance, in the 3rd fight he tried to control the fight at mid distance and he got KTFO.

The 1st fight is the only one where shogun trully gave Lyoto a technical war wich almost got Shogun the victory, the second one was shogun simply swinging for the fences with a nothing to lose mentality.

Good chin, was able to take a shot to deliver one.

Pressure/moving forward.

Every fighter that has ever pressured Machida has tagged him

If you rush forward on Machida, he back peddles with his hands down. The fighter usually stops at that point. Shogon chased down and hit him every time.

I think Machida is the worst guy I've seen when it comes to someone pressuring him and I see Hendo being able to do the same thing Rua did.

Hendo's got the chin and the right hand to dismantle just about anyone. Question is can use both at the right time?

Pressure/moving forward.

Every fighter that has ever pressured Machida has tagged him

If you rush forward on Machida, he back peddles with his hands down. The fighter usually stops at that point. Shogon chased down and hit him every time.

I think Machida is the worst guy I've seen when it comes to someone pressuring him and I see Hendo being able to do the same thing Rua did.

Also this, im very nervous about the Hendo fight.

Its much simpler than everyone tries to make it seem. He just timed Machida coming in.

466619_o.gif

Machida telegraphed the knee coming in. Shogun countered.

Also, Shogun's chin allows him to coming forward with less worry and more power.

I think Machida wins the trilogy.

I'd agree that Machida doesn't like being overly pressured. He's great at countering, but if you are totally relentless it seems that he doesn't like that as much. We can see this in the 2nd Shogun match.

How Shogun won the first fight and how Shogun won the second fight are totally different.

Shogun won the first fight by being extremely technical, NOT bum rushing Machida, caching Machida in-between Machida's backpedaling and his attacks, and really attacking Lyoto's legs.

Shogun won the second fight by taking advantage of Machida's idiotic strategy of doing everything opposite of what got him his belt.

if Machida comes in like how he fought Shogun in his first fight, he'll be fine. Hendo doesn't have the range like Shogun does.

constant pressurem the weakness of most techincal strikers

Machida rules the outside game over most LHWs, in the 1st fight that is what he mostly utilized. In the 2nd fight he went into Shoguns realm, mid-close range. Which was obviously a bad idea. Machida tried fighting Shogun at his own game and Shogun was willing to take a shot to deliver one.

Also timing, Shogun timed Machida as he lunged in, as Machida came in he landed that huge right hand.

Back