How did people get into Olympic Lifting before Crossfit?

Finding Deebo

Swimming in Heaven, lookin' for Craig!!
Banned
Reaction score
I know the participation rates have skyrocketed since Crossfit became popular, but wondering how people got into it before.

Based on what I've seen in gyms over the years, generally start in powerlifting, but give up when you're not that great at getting stronger and still want to do something with a barbell.

Based on what I've seen in gyms over the years, generally start in powerlifting, but give up when you're not that great at getting stronger and still want to do something with a barbell.
Have you seen Olympic lifting offered in many gyms? Even now, I see it infrequently in gyms that aren't associated with Crossfit somehow. Definitely didn't see it at all 10 years ago.

it is offered in bigger cities of course. Houston is rampant with Olympic lifting gyms. Many CrossFit coaches I Know decided to compete in Olympic lifting meets rather than actual CrossFit. Genetically they are different sports. Most of the great Crossfitters wouldn't be great Olympic lifters and vice versa.

I'm sure he would of killed it at Crossfit!..

Are you implying that WL’ers are PL washouts?

Are you implying that WL’ers are PL washouts?

Lifting the same weights ad infinitum under the veil of "technique work" is easier than grinding your way to new SQ/BP/DL PRs, yes.

Lifting the same weights ad infinitum under the veil of "technique work" is easier than grinding your way to new SQ/BP/DL PRs, yes.

This would've offended so many people five years ago lol

Boy, I this would've offended so many people fi

I started with starting strength, which programs power cleans. I started watching tutorials on power cleans and that is when I saw the Jerk and was intrigued. Then I saw the Snatch and about shit my pants and instantly wanted to learn. I realized I liked weightlifting better than powerlifting and the rest is history. They are much more athletic and its more impressive to watch imo. Watching someone B/S/D is kind of boring. Watching someone launch massive weight overhead explosively is amazing to watch.

Many weightlifters could go into powerlifting meets and dominate the squat records, even high bar.

Oh yeah and Low bar is for fat overweight immobile fucks who can't break parallel and squat 1000lbs at an SPF meet.

OHP>Bench

Many weightlifters could go into powerlifting meets and dominate the squat records, even high bar.

Oh yeah and Low bar is for fat overweight immobile fucks who can't break parallel and squat 1000lbs at an SPF meet.

OHP>Bench

You had it up until these parts.

Having trained at a weightlifting club just before CrossFit and the insta generation era of fitness blew up.

I can say that it is definitely by happening to live near/have access to a weightlifting club and coach.

In non democratic places like China kids go to sports school and are suggested sports that they may be good at.

Everywhere else it was just if you happened to have access to coaching. The basic equipment was NEVER available in regular gyms pre 2010 even. Most gyms had hex plates if they had free weights at all.
So you literally could not "weightlift" without a club.

To actually be good at it you usually need to start young, which again means that it ain't a thing a kid searches their whole country for and drives to a gym. They may have a parent who knows about it.

Those in track athletic or rugby teams sometimes had access to equipment even back in 1990s in their private gyms.

There was also little option to buy equipment as their was only one brand that you could get in most of Europe, which was very expensive eleiko.

In the age of detailed YouTube videos 2010+ , it became possible to coach yourself and measure your progress against those with coaches and teams.

Before that training yourself would be impossible. There is no way your technique would be right without watching it hundreds of times in slow motion.

Well I guess those PL’ing washouts will have to settle competing for Olympic medals, lol.

Ok, so high-level WL’ers don’t start out as PL’ers. I completely agree.

No shit, Sherlock.

Do you understand what you Jim was saying at all?

Apparently not.

Unless I'm completely wrong, jim seems to be talking about every casual that struggles to get a 500lb deadlift, so the end up snatching 50 kg for three years under the guise of technique work.

Back