how did Michael Johnson beat poirier?

At the same time, Johnson detonated on Poirier but people say he’s got a glass chin. I think both guys are tough but the right shot will lay anyone out.

Also johnson is FAST! that first round is lethal..

Michael Johnson has lost a step or two since that fight but at that time his reflexes and speed were elite for that division. He could’ve smoked anybody on any given night and it just so happened to be Poirier that night.

Just look at khabib when he fought MJ. Almost every fight Khabib will stand and trade with other strikers (Conor, Barboza etc) for extended periods of times which can put him at risk but he does it almost as if he’s trying to prove a point that he can strike as well.

Against MJ early in the match whether he actually got clipped or not has been a lengthy debate around these parts but regardless of that you can tell Khabib respected MJ and he wasn’t gonna fuck around. He wanted absolutely nothing to do with MJ standing and he went straight to imposing his will via wrestling/grappling/top control.

Do people have brains?
This is MMA... some people suffer a couple setbacks and then they do something about it - they get better and some even evolve to champion.....and some dont - some remain in idle or even regress. T.S (without knowing it, lol) just gave us both examples.
Why would anybody reference a fight several years ago , anyway.

by punching him in the head really really hard

just how good is Michael Johnson? lol wtf how did poirier lose to him. He smashed gaetje, Eddie and Holloway. I believe all 3 would make short work of Johnson. Maybe not current Eddie but the other 2 would comfortably rest their nuts on his face.
he just got caught, like can happen to anybody. Johnson is not a better fighter

I think MJ has depleted himself making 145 & it's really compromised him. He should go back up to '55 but unfortunately, it's likely too late as the damage has been done. He'd already soaked up a lot of punishment before dropping down. Now, it's doubtful if he'll ever be anything more than cannon fodder.

TinyAggressiveLeafhopper-size_restricted.gif
I dont think this gif does justice if I remember this was one of the fastest strikes ever, I thought

Last edited:
Do people realize that some fighters get better and better as time goes?Dustin is 40 fights in. Khabib is another one who gets better with fights with that being said, MJ is a legit guy he has wins over Barboza tony and almost finished Justin he was the only person who has ever rocked khabib and made him scared for two seconds dude is a great fighter he is like Conor thou, he gets worse as time passes unlike khabib who will probably be at his best when he fights tony or Justin in dec sorry new fone.
So Dustin now will murder MJ as Dustin got better

he just got caught, like can happen to anybody. Johnson is not a better fighter
I dunno man can’t say his wins over barboza and tony are all flukes he almost finished Justin.was a crazy fight MJ is no pink he just had bad luck and kept on going down in ranks he could be top 5 now with wins over tony Dustin and barboza

Real talk; you're asking the wrong question - the real question is why did the UFC throw him this bone of a title shot, and against a MUCH smaller opponent, when he only has a single recent win in the top 5(against Eddie) and fuck all else. I mean, I know he's a 'company man' and all, but Cerrone would've been a better choice.

His recent resume -
Gaethje is a quality win - but he's also a prime match up for someone with Poirier's heavy power, given that whole "eat punches until they get tired" tactic. Also, not top 5
Eddie was top 5 at the time - but he was coming off a loss, the NC against Dustin, and a win over 'human punching bag' Gaethje; in his last fight since then, get floored in the first round of his OneFC debut
Pettis - "submission" when ol' Tony decided to temporarily relocate his ribs to get out of a body triangle. And, he hasn't won 2+ in a row in his last 10 fights
Then the Eddie NC for illegal knees
Jim Miller(who needs to hangem' up, I can't take watching him get beat up anymore) - majority decision

Don't get the wrong impression, thinking that Poirier is "one of the best at 155" just because they tossed him a bone with this title shot; the dude isn't on that level, he's never been on that level, and, now that he's actually gonna have to face the REAL talent of 155 - like Khabib & Fergy - it's gonna be obvious. I fully expect Barboza, Cerrone, and Kevin Lee to take advantage of the openings he leaves - and that weak ass chin - should he fight them, Iaquinta to give him the 'big brother' treatment if they fight, and Gregor Gillespie will likely goon him should that one happen. And, Micheal Johnson could finish him again; Poirier has rudimentary striking and tends to make mistakes in the heat of battle, while Johnson is a more technical striker with a real deal hand speed advantage(which is why he beat him the first time).

Dustin's title shot was an illusion of his place in this division - he actually just skipped a bunch of guys to the front of the line since the top 5 keep beating each other. Now that he's all the way at the top with crosshairs on his ass, he won't be getting any more guys that are alternating wins-loss-win-loss, he won't be getting guys looking for someone to "be their match" in a head punching contest.

Epo...
Lol jk, he had a good fight. It's MMA, happens. But holy shit how good did Dustin look last night!!

He has fast hands. Anything can happen in a fight especially with a 1-hit KO power.

Didn't Dustin work himself up before that fight? If I remember correctly, he had an animosity towards Johnson for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure he recognized that as a mistake.

Dustin stepped in with a footwork mistake and MJ put his back leg back and counter hooked him.
MJ is a southpaw as well and super fast. Poirier said he learned from that mistake. Happens.
Dustin is great at putting his chin down, just got caught in between.

Didn't Dustin work himself up before that fight? If I remember correctly, he had an animosity towards Johnson for whatever reason. I'm pretty sure he recognized that as a mistake.

just how good is Michael Johnson? lol wtf how did poirier lose to him. He smashed gaetje, Eddie and Holloway. I believe all 3 would make short work of Johnson. Maybe not current Eddie but the other 2 would comfortably rest their nuts on his face.
Caught him early with a shot he didn't see coming. Pretty obvious really and can happen to anyone.

Dustin has came on leaps and bounds since that fight. His boxing defense looked on point last night

Back