How Did GSP Actually Game Plan? (He didn't)

No plan. Just went out there and got his hump on. Not goat either. Plus he tapped to strikes.

...canadian

#GUERNICAbless

Why only Sig strikes at range?
Because if I include ground strikes it looks even worse for Diaz and then morons claim I skewed the results because GnP is not striking.

Total Sig Strikes
GSP: 105
Diaz: 41

I basically showed pure striking, where GSP dominated the fight.

I'm confused.

Do both of GSP's balls fit in your mouth or do you have to put them in one at a time?
I am confused, are you interested in debating the actual facts or admitting you are wrong and slinging ad-hom's to make yourself feel better after being outed as a moron?

I am confused, are you interested in debating the actual facts or admitting you are wrong and slinging ad-hom's to make yourself feel better after being outed as a moron?

Debate what facts? The point of my thread was not about GSP's striking, it was about fans claiming he made good game plans. I argued that his game plans are no better than anyone else's

We all know his striking was effective, that doesn't make it less boring. He played it safe most of his career because he had psychological issues. His striking worked, but he kept it very basic because he was afraid of taking any chances.

I know you have been going around sherdog defending GSP's honor for years. There is no point "debating the facts" with someone who will never agree with negative opinions on GSP.

Debate what facts? The point of my thread was not about GSP's striking, it was about fans claiming he made good game plans. I argued that his game plans are no better than anyone else's

We all know his striking was effective, that doesn't make it less boring. He played it safe most of his career because he had psychological issues. His striking worked, but he kept it very basic because he was afraid of taking any chances.

I know you have been going around sherdog defending GSP's honor for years. There is no point "debating the facts" with someone who will never agree with negative opinions on GSP.
Maybe you forgot you said ...
He wrestled almost all of his opponents and then tentatively outstruck a few wrestlers.

No. he outstruck EVERYONE, not just a few people and only wrestlers.

He did not do that because he is the best pure striker in the division, he did it because his gameplanning was top notch.

Maybe you forgot you said ...

No. he outstruck EVERYONE, not just a few people and only wrestlers.

He did not do that because he is the best pure striker in the division, he did it because his gameplanning was top notch.

I meant that his main route to victory in his fights against Alves, Condit, Serra was with his wrestling. I am aware that he out pointed most of them on the feet.

Whereas with Shields, Kos 2 etc. he barely used his takedowns at all. You simply misunderstood what I meant.

I disagree that it was mainly great game planning that allowed him to outstrike most of his opponents. I think it was the fear of the takedown that prevented most of his opponents from loosening up and landing more on him.

That is why Johny Hendricks was able to come so close to beating him, he could not bully Johny around with his wrestling.

So my thesis is that GSP was not a particularly great game planner, but he was a better wrestler than he is generally given credit for

How come we can up vote and not down vote? Doesnt seem fair.

I meant that his main route to victory in his fights against Alves, Condit, Serra was with his wrestling. I am aware that he out pointed most of them on the feet.
And this is where you lose again. He out struck them. Plain and simple. He was not a striker, he was not a wrestler, he was a mixed martial artist. He wove his striking and take downs together so that you didn't know what he was doing. He could make you think he was about to strike and make you defend it, when he was actually going for a take down.

His wrestling is actually pretty basic. He is not an amazing wrestler. He did not have a huge arsenal of top tier takedowns. What he had was a few that were so amazing they were near unstoppable when he was on.

Sorry, you did nothing to show poor game planning. If you have anything that shows it I am happy to look at it.

Watching gsp after he reclaimed the belt to me was like watching paint dry. His wrestling was excellant, and his striking (however basic) was on point. He set up jabs and take downs probably better then anyone, while not doing a whole lot other then to keep dominant position. Still I can't deny that whatever him and his coaches put together worked perfectly. It was only when he kept getting tagged did he start looking human, and I felt a motivated big rigg finally beat him, but Still gsp retired champ and I really question his return.

And this is where you lose again. He out struck them. Plain and simple. He was not a striker, he was not a wrestler, he was a mixed martial artist. He wove his striking and take downs together so that you didn't know what he was doing. He could make you think he was about to strike and make you defend it, when he was actually going for a take down.

His wrestling is actually pretty basic. He is not an amazing wrestler. He did not have a huge arsenal of top tier takedowns. What he had was a few that were so amazing they were near unstoppable when he was on.

Sorry, you did nothing to show poor game planning. If you have anything that shows it I am happy to look at it.

So your argument is basically "I have a different opinion than you"?

You contradict yourself. You say he "outstruck them plain and simple" but then go on about how he took guys down because they thought he was going to strike. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT I'M SAYING. He beat guys standing because he confused them with his takedowns.

I never said GSP had POOR game planning, I said it was nothing special and said it was about the same as guys like Mighty Mouse. You are either too dumb to comprehend my statements or you are being deliberately ignorant. In both cases there is no point in debating with you further.

Game planning is like Ali doing the rope a dope to tire out Foreman. It is using leg kicks to slow your opponent down. It is trash talking to get an opponent to make mistakes. Fighting your opponent in his weak are is just common sense and lots of other fighters do it

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Except what you posted is wrong. He outstruck every fightter, including strikers.

Sig. strikes at distance
GSP: 62
Diaz: 24

GSP: 84
Hendricks: 52

GSP: 26
Condit: 23
Your stats are correct but it doesn't really take away from TS's point about GSP generally having 2 ways of winning; cautiously outwrestling his opponent, and cautiously outstriking them from the outside.

He won the Diaz and Condit fights due to his wrestling. TS never claimed that he couldn't also have a striking edge on the feet as well as a grappling advantage. The edge he did have on the feet against those fighters was largely due to the wrestling anyway. And even if he outlanded Condit, he didn't win that distance striking battle.

The Hendricks fight doesn't fit either of TS's criteria in the first place, since it didn't go GSP's way. He couldn't take him down, and he got beat up on the feet, once again despite having a numerical edge.

Your stats are correct but it doesn't really take away from TS's point about GSP generally having 2 ways of winning; cautiously outwrestling his opponent, and cautiously outstriking them from the outside.
You mean he fought smart, as if he had a gameplan?
He wrestled almost all of his opponents and then tentatively outstruck a few wrestlers.

As I already pointed out, no, he did not outstrike a few wrestlers, he outstruck EVERYONE.

You mean he fought smart, as if he had a gameplan?
I don't agree with TS that GSP didn't have gameplans. I'm only defending the point that GSP generally only had the 2 ways of winning. If you aren't disagreeing with that then my bad.

Back