How Did GSP Actually Game Plan? (He didn't)

He planned for his opponents weaknesses and fought them brilliantly (albeit boringly). Listen to him talk about BJ's small shoulders and how he knew he could tire him in a clinch. How he shocked Koscheck with takedowns because everyone assumed that was Koscheck's advantage.

What he did better than anyone in the sports history (and this pains me to say) is control distance, pace, and where the fight would take place. It may be dull to watch him sit in guard and snuggle Dan Hardy all night, but there was no denying after 5 rounds, he had him on his back where he wanted him.

You have to look a little more closely than "strike with wrestlers, grapple with srikers" if you want to know about gameplanning. I remember for the Koschek fight he brought in Freddie Roach and they trained how he could strike with Kos without falling prey to the right hand (by jabbing a lot, getting off first and moving in the right direction). What was exceptional about GSP and his gameplanning was how well he stuck to them - a lot of fighters lose their discipline when they get tired or hurt, but he almost always managed to focus and stay the course. That's a rare and underrated ability.

Defintely not the Diaz fight.

100% his most boring fight and his safest. He spent majority of time on top going back and fourth from half gaurd to gaurd.

Actually, they spent quite a lot of time on the feet, but a lot of that time consisted of them circling in front of each other without engaging. There was some good striking in the latter rounds, though.

You realize that his game planning was what made his wrestling and take downs look so effortless right? Studying the habits of a fighter that leave them over for a TD.

Just because someone makes something looks easy doesn't mean it is.

Great thread...if it was 2012.

Except what you posted is wrong. He outstruck every fightter, including strikers.

Sig. strikes at distance
GSP: 62
Diaz: 24

GSP: 84
Hendricks: 52

GSP: 26
Condit: 23

This is correct!

Haters gonna hate.

GSP just laughs and counts his money.

He's not impressed with your criticism.

Train for every situation.. not the opponent...Game plans are a joke... If you need a reason to train harder.. You weren't before.

I am not jabbing at GSP or his team (well, a little) I'm jabbing at the so called educated fans that have invented a fake narrative about his career.

My point is exactly what you said. He was an amazing wrestler. When he outstruck guys like Diaz and Condit a big part of the reason was because they were scared of the takedown and fought conservatively.
"fans that have"
LOL!

Last edited:
Defintely not the Diaz fight.

100% his most boring fight and his safest. He spent majority of time on top going back and fourth from half gaurd to gaurd.
GSP significant strikes at distance 62 of 106
Diaz 24 of 113.

He always wanted to be first and fast in the striking. Moovement, Jab, weak right crosses, great but repetitive transitions into takedowns.

Against Josh Koscheck he didn't want to wreslte as much because he knew it would be more of a challenge then the standup.

Against Jake Shields he avoided the ground almost completely and dissapointed mma fans everywhere

Condit, Diaz, Hardy, Alves, wrestled them hard

Matt Serra bless

ufonaut.gif

So all you saw him use was the Jab? gotcha. nice catch.

Back in reality though, he did a thousand things right in each round. Lots of them due to planning.

Thank you guys but I want everyone to voice their opinion.

The little people deserve to feel like their opinions matter, even if they actually don't.

You're an idiot. Stop posting.

Back