How did Gastelum lose to The Chris

Arm triangle

Chris-Weidman-UFC-on-FOX-25-Fight-Highlights-440x250.jpg
This.

Weidman can physically overpower Kelvin and has him beat on reach, height etc. Weidman has been beaten by opponents who can match him in that area or at least pose a threat to Weidman if it hits the ground. Kelvin doesnt have that and probably loses to Weidman if they fought again.

By being better at literally everything.

Natural punching power and a great chin were Gatelum's only advantages in that match-up. He's not on Weidman's level, when it comes to skillset.

IMO Chris has the best takedowns at MW(though you can make an arguement for Romero) and he's got one of the most dangerous top games as well.
Luke's top game is better. I guess Luke isn't a MW anymore. Chris is on the downside now. Still a very good fighter but in decline.

Luke's top game is better. I guess Luke isn't a MW anymore. Chris is on the downside now. Still a very good fighter but in decline.

Luke and Jacare are the reasons why I said one of the most dangerous top games.

He’s still my boy, but in my opinion his camp and management has done him a disservice having him fight killer after killer especially after bad knockouts. You have to pull a guy back a bit after a bad KO and let him get his feet under himself again.

The Chris is still a very dangerous fighter. Capable of beating anyone in that division.

I don't know that it's his camp pushing him in that direction. Weidman got a taste of that champ money and hasn't been interested in any match-ups that don't put him in immediate title contention ever since. He actually said as much a few fights back, that the money is so different that he only wants the highest ranked opponents to get the belt back.

It is on his camp to pull him back and talk him into taking the right type of fights though. Everyone who watched his recent run without bias knows he was capable of winning every single one of them and some of them might have turned out differently, had he not been taking so much damage recently. You can't keep taking injury/KO layoffs, then each time expect to just jump right back in there against the top guys as if you're still on your title run.

My MMA math doesn't add up here
Watch the fight with eyes wide open. He got outclassed. Badly. Mostly by footwork and threat of takedown. And both led to Gastelum losing the range battle in as bad a way as anyone lately.

Frankly, it's embarrassing how many sherdoggers only remember the last 7 seconds of round 1 of that fight.

That fight doesn't tell us much about this next fight, but (EDIT) it may very well tell us a lot about a Whittaker fight.

Last edited:
My favorite sub! Probably the one I catch people the most with.

That looks hella tight, too. Good stuff!

I don't train jiu jitsu, but I watch a lot of MMA and sometimes I start trying to sub my kids and pets. Have you ever tried to get a dog in an arm triangle? Basically impossible from my experience.

well.......you see........despite him getting shit on constantly because he lost a few fights and beat a few favorite brazilians, Weidman is a great fighter

Post-Usada Weidman doesn't have the stamina to go 3 hard rounds, let alone 5.

His chin isn't what it used to be, and his opponents don't fear him/give him the confidence he used to have.

Watch the fight with eyes wide open. He got outclassed. Badly. Mostly by footwork and threat of takedown. And both led to Gastelum losing the range battle in as bad a way as anyone lately.

Frankly, it's embarrassing how many sherdoggers only remember the last 7 seconds of round 1 of that fight.

That fight doesn't tell us much about this next fight, but (EDIT) it may very well tell us a lot about a Whittaker fight.

Weidman was really the better fighter for most of the fight, he just got caught with a haymaker that he eventually recovered from.

size was a big factor, and weidman still has a good ground game and has been competitive in all of his losses.

Back