How did Fedor get in the armbar so easily and fast?

He was insanely skilled, and hyper aggressive.
He fought in a shallow version of the sports weakest division.
This was at a time when the skill levels were still nowhere near where they are today.
He fought a lot of filler.

If you check his record you'll see he was armbarring Mark Coleman who was submitted in 6 our of 10 losses, and Ogawa who was basically a rookie in MMA at 7-0. He wasn't tapping Nog or Babalu.

Being highly skilled in Judo and Sambo.
One of the best practitioner in both disciplines of his time.

19+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Mark+Coleman+I_xvid_002.gif

Still one of the best submissions ive ever seen.
Agreed. That was one of the best I've ever seen, coming from a heavy weight I've never seen anything comparable.

He allowed nog to move around so much and recover guard all the time. Ufc fighters don't do that, they would rather maintain a good Position instead of trying to get a stoppage

But thats exactly why the majority believe Fedor is the GOAT. The man never fought to maintain position he fought to break his opponents will and beat them at whatever they were great at doing. Nog on the ground, CroCop on the feet, Arlovski on the feet, Coleman on the ground and the late great Kevin Randleman on the ground less than a minute after Randleman's amazing suplex dumping Fedor on his head.
20%20Fedor%20Emelianenko%20vs%20Kevin%20Randleman00h07m16s-00h07m33s_zpsrawrdpe3.gif

1362870992_541751209.gif

9vuQeaf.gif

hHJzu8Q.gif

No HW till this day moves the way Fedor moved in his prime. I don't care if it's on the ground or on the feet he moved so quick with powerful punches coming at you. Then you add in technique, well roundness, explosiveness, and you had the perfect HW who was ahead of everyone else during his time. Didn't fucking lay on his opponents or put up boring fights. Didn't clown his opponents or trash talk them. Always humble in victory and defeat. GOAT

He grabs the opponents leg with his free arm. This allows him to rotate his hips into position much faster.

Quick, skilled, and fought many guys with weak sub defense.

His hips are rediculous. I could watch the coleman armbar 10 million times, theres no way i could do that shit.

His instincts, reaction time, explosiveness, and decisiveness.

He didn't fuck around. He was on kill-mode the second he put his hands on someone.

A lot of fighters are cautious even when they have the upper hand.

Fedor wasn't that kind.

thats the best thing about him and why hes the goat. He was an undersized HW,but he didnt ponce about,he went in there to lay hands on dudes from the go.

He was insanely skilled, and hyper aggressive.
He fought in a shallow version of the sports weakest division.
This was at a time when the skill levels were still nowhere near where they are today.
He fought a lot of filler.

If you check his record you'll see he was armbarring Mark Coleman who was submitted in 6 our of 10 losses, and Ogawa who was basically a rookie in MMA at 7-0. He wasn't tapping Nog or Babalu.
Overeem may soon be UFC HW champ. He would have been killed by the Pride heavies. Skill-wise, there is no difference between the Pride heavies and today's UFC heavies.

It's the same stupidity every time we get a new champ.

Fedor's superior speed & fluidity was exactly what worsened later on in his career. He obliquely referred to that after his submission loss to Werdun, saying there was a short time in which he could have escaped the triangle (before it got locked in) but admitting he failed to execute. That's the same downfall for many great fighters: they lose the significant little edge in quickness. Presumably related to aging.

People forget that Fedor was an international level Judokai before MMA and he was a Sambo world champion many times over. His fast hips and technique was amazing, he was strong as an ox too. After Fedors body started to break down and he lost his Judo an grappling ability, things went downhill fast.

There was this amazing Fedor thread with gifs of his throws on here. I can't seem to find it.

Back