How did Esports do in 2020 quarantine?

I enjoy watching CS GO majors really rooting for FURIA as of late since they moved to Europe after dominating NA

Especially when from a viewer perspective watching is "Diarrhea Christmas Lights".

I don’t really get this. Diarrhea Christmas Lights for who? Generally the viewers who tune into FGC events know what they’re getting and know what they’re watching. Are you referring to the gamers who don’t watch or follow FGC events?

eSports will make a comeback IMO. Covid fatigue is a real thing and when live audiences are back things should pick back up again. Watching online events are ok but it completely removes the human element and live emotions from the game. As an FGC supporter, I tend to lean more towards the Pros wanting a larger scene for the community. That’s their job and they should get paid to do it and push for larger sponsorships. Keeping things “grass roots” will force pros to get a real job and eventually drop the game all together. We would miss so many great moments in the future if that was to happen.

I have faith in Capcom and FGC developers that they can become innovative again and release games that people want to play and watch. I really hope SFVI knocks it out of the park and a new MvC, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools could really do wonders. Also the new FG from Riot could make a big splash.

There's nothing stopping pros from going to invitationals like eleague, is what I'm saying. The guys who win eleague are the same guys going to traditional tournaments like CEO, EVO, Combo Breaker and so on.

Right? You still have guys that have won a Capcom ProTour attending local NLBC events with Spooky. Bum1six3 literally holds tournaments out of his house and you'd see guys like SonicFox, Dekillsage, etc. still attending.

I don’t really get this. Diarrhea Christmas Lights for who? Generally the viewers who tune into FGC events know what they’re getting and know what they’re watching. Are you referring to the gamers who don’t watch or follow FGC events?

eSports will make a comeback IMO. Covid fatigue is a real thing and when live audiences are back things should pick back up again. Watching online events are ok but it completely removes the human element and live emotions from the game. As an FGC supporter, I tend to lean more towards the Pros wanting a larger scene for the community. That’s their job and they should get paid to do it and push for larger sponsorships. Keeping things “grass roots” will force pros to get a real job and eventually drop the game all together. We would miss so many great moments in the future if that was to happen.

I have faith in Capcom and FGC developers that they can become innovative again and release games that people want to play and watch. I really hope SFVI knocks it out of the park and a new MvC, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools could really do wonders. Also the new FG from Riot could make a big splash.
It's a genuinely weird criticism because following a fighting game is as easy as watching the health bars. It's a lot easier for a viewer to see who is winning than watching just about any other genre. I've tried watching a handful of fps events, and I don't see how anyone can make sense of what's going on as the commentators switch between multiple player perspectives without having the maps memorized.

TS obviously has a weird hate boner for fighting games and is also pretty unfamiliar with how they've grown, as though fighting game tournaments haven't been super small in the past and then had resurgences.

It's a genuinely weird criticism because following a fighting game is as easy as watching the health bars. It's a lot easier for a viewer to see who is winning than watching just about any other genre. I've tried watching a handful of fps events, and I don't see how anyone can make sense of what's going on as the commentators switch between multiple player perspectives without having the maps memorized.

TS obviously has a weird hate boner for fighting games and is also pretty unfamiliar with how they've grown, as though fighting game tournaments haven't been super small in the past and then had resurgences.

That’s a good point. I’ve played Smite for a few years and have watched some pro-league and even that is very difficult for me to understand what’s going on. The FGC has definitely gotten bigger but like another poster mentioned, they’re still running events out of people’s houses. Hell, I go to the SD FGC and it’s ran out of FastHandsCody’s house. It’s just a small living room and patio with stations setup all over the place. The same players who go there play at a lot of regionals and national tournaments as well. Without knowing the scene and with every game having their own, you don’t follow the events going on around the nation. Making wild assumptions on perceived notions doesn’t help anyone.

That’s a good point. I’ve played Smite for a few years and have watched some pro-league and even that is very difficult for me to understand what’s going on. The FGC has definitely gotten bigger but like another poster mentioned, they’re still running events out of people’s houses. Hell, I go to the SD FGC and it’s ran out of FastHandsCody’s house. It’s just a small living room and patio with stations setup all over the place. The same players who go there play at a lot of regionals and national tournaments as well. Without knowing the scene and with every game having their own, you don’t follow the events going on around the nation. Making wild assumptions on perceived notions doesn’t help anyone.
I can't stand watching Siege pro-league unless I mute it or find a way to cut the announcers out.

They're just... awful and for someone that plays the game it's fucking hard as shit to follow what's going on cause of how those muppets are screaming into their mics the whole time.

I'll watch Street Fighter for its visually easy to understand where individuals skill shows through. Games like Smash i'll avoid for its a visual representation of a tween male constantly sperging out with no down time.

It's really quite simple.

TS is a CS:GO whore. Almost every single post he writes on this board is either a post cheerleading CS:GO, or a post irrationally shitting on any game, genre, or gaming platform that competes with CSGO, the people who play it, and the companies or services that create or support these competitors. Usually these are voiced passive-aggressively, and it doesn't matter how tenuous this perceived threat to CSGO is.

I love fighting games and it's the only video game genre I really will ever watch pro competitions of, but it's always been the poverty version of eSports and think it might always be. I don't think the genre is popular enough to have massive payouts like other genres. Even the massive tournaments like EVO don't have big payouts except to basically the top 2-3.

There's been tons of online tournaments across different FGs due to COVID but a majority do not have big payouts. It appears many if not most FG players are trying to get more into streaming/content creation instead of relying on winning tournament money. Seems like there's also a lot of burnout or loss of interest due to not being able to compete offline too.

I can't stand watching Siege pro-league unless I mute it or find a way to cut the announcers out.

They're just... awful and for someone that plays the game it's fucking hard as shit to follow what's going on cause of how those muppets are screaming into their mics the whole time.

How dare you insult Kixstar!
kixstar.png

Dude just won the Esports color commentator of the year.

I can’t stand the way they yell and constantly babble. Friends I play with I’ll mute cause their call outs suck

Valve canceled the first CSGO Major of 2021. Which means the first Dota2 Major of 2021 is likely canceled.

Epic Games canceled all Fortnite lans for 2021.

@jefferz I think part of my issue is I know how to play the game so hearing the constantly babbling of commentators trying to amp everyone up just annoys the shit out of me cause I can see what's going on myself. It's why watching football I hate Collinsworth and others. Which makes it weird that I do like Romo but I think that's from him being a QB for as long as he was he can breakdown what quarterbacks see and how the pre-snap reads work which is something I still can't pick up.

@jefferz I think part of my issue is I know how to play the game so hearing the constantly babbling of commentators trying to amp everyone up just annoys the shit out of me cause I can see what's going on myself. It's why watching football I hate Collinsworth and others. Which makes it weird that I do like Romo but I think that's from him being a QB for as long as he was he can breakdown what quarterbacks see and how the pre-snap reads work which is something I still can't pick up.

There's almost 3 minutes between the last death of a round and the first death of a new round. There needs to be constant babbling to fill the void.
If you actually listen to Kixstar, he's a former pro player, and Interro they'll often tell exactly what will happen in a round if X doesn't happen, then Y will. Just like Romo will.
They need to bring in Zironic more as an analyst, but he's too blunt for a lot of people.

There's almost 3 minutes between the last death of a round and the first death of a new round. There needs to be constant babbling to fill the void.
If you actually listen to Kixstar, he's a former pro player, and Interro they'll often tell exactly what will happen in a round if X doesn't happen, then Y will. Just like Romo will.
They need to bring in Zironic more as an analyst, but he's too blunt for a lot of people.
It might be the vocal tone for me that sets me off. Every time I watch Rainbow Six Pro League the commentators always have a grating octave on their voice could be the issue for me.

PUBG mobile is doing phenomenally well, and has regular events throughout Asia.

Back