How did Diego Sanchez (unranked) get a fight with Gil (#2)?

Gomi beat Diego. Sure, it isn't listed that way but he did.

Anyways, this is a good way to get Gil a win in the UFC over a recognizable former title challenger. He will probably get a shot if he wins or he'll need 1 more max.

Hey Frank Mil, Diego all day!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy fight, easy money. Why not?
He is not beating pettis anytime soon, IMO

They are both Spanish and this card is in Houston. I think the idea is for Gil and Cain to put on a serious beating in front of a Mexican audience.

By losing to Gomi I guess.

This.

Was kind of hoping UFC matchmaking would treat the hardcore fans to Penn-Gomi II as Penn's return fight too but Penn's TUF gig threw a wrench inthat.

It's pretty common for a fighter coming off a title match loss to start again with an unranked or much lower ranked fighter to hopefully get in the win column again and go from there especially in such a deep division. I don't see what the problem is.

wud rather see gomi throw leather at gil
dunno how he got this

I think Gomi would gas hard against Gil. It would be a slaughter, gomi would get taken down a couple times spend all his energy TRYING to get up. Then he start off the 3 round standing and gets handled.

TS needs to calm down, quit crying...

Fun fight, Gil needs 2 wins to get to the belt anyways from what it seems. Or he just outclasses Diego and gets the title shot from that.

Looking good in your last fight can get a LW the title shot. Gil was smart in taking this fight. Also this can get him FOTN.

A split decision win over non-prime Gomi gets you #2? His previous win was a gift against Kampmann. He's not on a big win streak, and he hasn't looked lethal lately.

How the hell did this fight get set up?!! Why did Gil accept an unranked fighter? There isn't even any backstory of hatred. Gil gets nothing from this. It's a no-win fight.

Edit: Apparently this fight came about only because of Diego's lobbying. He didn't fight his way to it; he talked his way to it like Chael Sonnen.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/16/4...s-gilbert-melendez-josh-thomson-nate-diaz-mma

Props for calling out top ranked fighters. Gil is lame for accepting. (Just like Thiago Silva accepted fight v. retired Hammill, Lol!)

You're seeing this all wrong, fighting Gil isn't a reward, it's a set up. The UFC are giving Gilbert an opponent that he should look great against and is a well known fighter, Sanchez is getting a fight that he is unlikely to win because of receiving gifted decisions.

It will probably be an exciting fight that Gil will win, so it's more of an exciting fight+getting Gil a win than Diego deserving to fight him.

I have no idea how that matchup happened. Nothing about it makes sense. Gil has nothing to gain from winning.

It'll be a war until Diego falls down. El Ni

Back