How did Cain fight with a torn ACL?

I don't think he will break it. He still has 294 yards to go and he plays the texans. I don't know the other team he plays.

Texans and Packers. He just hung 150 on the Bears, 200 on the Packers, 200 on the Rams.

I wouldn't bet against him averaging 147 the next two games.

Texans and Packers. He just hung 150 on the Bears, 200 on the Packers, 200 on the Rams.

I wouldn't bet against him averaging 147 the next two games.

I wouldn't be suprised if he did,but if i had to bet i would bet against it. iirc in his rookie season he ran for like 296 on the bears maybe. ill have to look that up.

With the recent video of Cain allegedly tearing his ACL prior to the JDS fight, I am left to wonder how the fuck he was fighting? GSP was out 10 months, he fought 14 days later? I am no injury expert so excuse me if I am missing something and I am aware there may be different degrees of injury but how can this be?

I severely sprained my ACL and LCL and that was one of the most painful things I have ever dealt with. It does not heal over night either.

Ah meniscus that's right, I stand corrected. But yeah meniscus injury can be managed, ACL cannot that's for sure, even by itself.

As an aside, there's a new treatment for ACL injuries which is called LARS surgery. It involves using a synthetic ligament instead of one from the hamstring (?), recovery can be 3 months but it's not that reliable apparently. Probably the sort of op you'd get if your a 35 year old and may have only a short career left, it's probably not suitable for MMA fighters at all though.

I had to do an assignment on LARS. Fucking sucked haha. Its been round since the 70s, the research is flawed though but results are really dependant on the person or the surgery. Probably not good for a MMArtist cos of the direct impact on the knee

I wouldn't be suprised if he did,but if i had to bet i would bet against it.. iirc in his rookie season he ran for like 296 on the bears maybe. ill have to look that up.

224 and 3TDs on the Bears, 296 was against the Chargers in his 2nd season. I was at the Bears game (in Chicago) drunk as hell and cheering obnoxiously for the Vikings. I wasn't exactly sure I would make it out with my life; Bears fans are serious.

With the recent video of Cain allegedly tearing his ACL prior to the JDS fight, I am left to wonder how the fuck he was fighting? GSP was out 10 months, he fought 14 days later? I am no injury expert so excuse me if I am missing something and I am aware there may be different degrees of injury but how can this be?

there are 5 levels of "torn". a 5 is 100% separation; a 1 is a small tear. a 3 or 4 sucks because athletes and guys like you & me have to make a tough decisions on whether to get a replacement or not. you & i can probably get away with not getting surgery, but we certainly won't have full strength.

for all we know, Cain had a 2 or a 3 and GSP had a 5. or maybe someone does know and i don't.

needless to say, with the limited info you provided, all we know is you don't know enough to make any conclusions.

A torn ACL doesn't hurt and you can fight without one, but probably not win.

A torn ACL doesn't hurt and you can fight without one, but probably not win.

This might be the most ignorant statement ever posted on Sherdog.

I'm making quite a statement here; people say ignorant shit all the time on here. But this might be a record holder.

Take a bow son.

blah_blah619
bullshit, no pre-fight doc would ever clear anyone with a torn acl.

How thorough is the exam? Just basic questions, demonstration of flexibility etc. I really don't know.

hate to get semantic, but it's inescapable in situations like this.

when blah_blah says "torn" i assume he means a full tear. however, that is NOT NECESSARILY what "torn" means.

if you lifted weights today, you tore your muscles. the doc would allow the fight to continue.

many athletes decide to get surgery after a level 3 tear - many don't. everyone gets surgery after a level 5 tear.

if i'm missing something and there is actually a source where someone says it was a full tear, then i apologize. but i have not seen it said in those terms.

I'm making quite a statement here; people say ignorant shit all the time on here. But this might be a record holder.

Take a bow son.

but it doesn't hurt....if you don't step on that foot :)

Here's the thing - any "sprain" is a partial tear. Look it up - if you sprain your ankle, you've partially torn the ligament. A "torn ACL" is when you tear that sucker straight through.

So if he fought on a "partially torn"/sprained knee, that's still bad ass, and it definitely limited his mobility, but it's not a "torn ACL" like Adrian Peterson had.

BTW - it is ZERO coincidence that this video "leaked" out two weeks before the rematch.

This is a really good point. Do you think this is all just the work of the UFC's "marketing" team?

Sounds fake as hell.

Be pretty hard to win an MMA fight with only Crane kicks. Think we would have noticed. :icon_lol:

Kyle Maynard doesn't fight with only 1 knee, he fights with no knees!!! (oh no he di'int!) :icon_chee

th

Take a bow son.

ACL ruptures may not hurt. I have clients who have complete ruptures and are still able to do daily activities. Unless they need surgery to do daily activities or they can easily afford the surgery. they can usually get by with out the surgery with no pain. Being a fighter however you need an intact ACL to do daily activities

ACL ruptures may not hurt. I have clients who have complete ruptures and are still able to do daily activities. Unless they need surgery to do daily activities or they can easily afford the surgery. they can usually get by with out the surgery with no pain. Being a fighter however you need an intact ACL to do daily activities

"Daily activities" do not generally include "entering a cage with one of the 2-3 most dangerous men on the planet and attempting to fight them."

But yeah, walking down to the mail box and standing in line at Wendy's I'm sure can be accomplished with minimal pain.

There are degrees of tears. A tear, is not a rupture.

A tear means you tore it to some degree, like tearing a piece of paper. A little, or a lot, it can make a big difference.

A rupture means it is tore all the way through, completely in 2.

Been there and done that. ;)

It would be a lot easier to compete with a tear obviously.

:edit: I am amazed how people have no problem whatsoever stating incorrect opinion as fact. Stunning...

Last edited:
He couldn't have. ACLs don't heal on their own the way MCLs do. They require surgery, which he didn't have. I'll buy that he had a knee injury.

Back