How did Cain fight with a torn ACL?

RoC Dysphoria**

White Belt
Reaction score
With the recent video of Cain allegedly tearing his ACL prior to the JDS fight, I am left to wonder how the fuck he was fighting? GSP was out 10 months, he fought 14 days later? I am no injury expert so excuse me if I am missing something and I am aware there may be different degrees of injury but how can this be?

did he actually claim it was a torn ACL? he didn't look too bad moving around though

Didn't JDS win the title with a messed up knee?

You can try to compete on a torn ACL - it will hurt and you will have very little stability in your knee, but it can be done if you have a tolerance for pain and are a little crazy.

The difference is when you have surgery, the graft is very weak at first and if you try to push it before it's rehabbed and ready to go, you'll just tear it again and have to start over.

Didn't JDS win the title with a messed up knee?

Yeah, pretty sure that was a medial ligament strain though, way less serious than an ACL. Would have thought that you'd still cancel a fight with a medial injury though.

It must not have been that bad if he didn't even need surgery and fought again in may.

Theres three grades of Ligament rupture. GSP was grade 3. Cain probably a 2. ACL injuries can sometimes be painless after the initial occurance. Jude Bolton an AFL player played with a Grade 3 ACL and PCL so its possible. ACL are usually injured pivoting so going forward and backward are ok but going in different directions you lose stability.

With the recent video of Cain allegedly tearing his ACL prior to the JDS fight, I am left to wonder how the fuck he was fighting? GSP was out 10 months, he fought 14 days later? I am no injury expert so excuse me if I am missing something and I am aware there may be different degrees of injury but how can this be?

Look up Adrian Peterson. Yeah it is the NFL, but his Knee was horrid and he is gonna break a record this year for most yards rushed. He wasnt suppose to be back till mid season, but he was back playing in the first game of the year.

Everyone tears their knee up in different ways. It isnt like a broken bone, and one can fight with a torn ACL, they just wont be able to move laterally. Did GSP fucked his knee up where there were more than 1 ligament was torn?

uhm plenty of players have played sports with a torn acl. Shogun beat Machida in their 2nd fight with a torn acl.

Yeah, pretty sure that was a medial ligament strain though, way less serious than an ACL. Would have thought that you'd still cancel a fight with a medial injury though.

It was the meniscus. Funnily enough ACL MCL and medial meniscus are usually all injured together. Meniscus however can still be ok to play sport with but hurt like shit

partial tear?

Here's the thing - any "sprain" is a partial tear. Look it up - if you sprain your ankle, you've partially torn the ligament. A "torn ACL" is when you tear that sucker straight through.

So if he fought on a "partially torn"/sprained knee, that's still bad ass, and it definitely limited his mobility, but it's not a "torn ACL" like Adrian Peterson had.

BTW - it is ZERO coincidence that this video "leaked" out two weeks before the rematch.

Look up Adrian Peterson. Yeah it is the NFL, but his Knee was horrid and he is gonna break a record this year for most yards rushed. He wasnt suppose to be back till mid season, but he was back playing in the first game of the year.

Everyone tears their knee up in different ways. It isnt like a broken bone, and one can fight with a torn ACL, they just wont be able to move laterally. Did GSP fucked his knee up where there were more than 1 ligament was torn?

AP is a freak. He has a damn good chance at breaking Eric D.s record.

Nothing was wrong with Cain. He is just making excuses. He will be ko'd again and make up some more stuff.

Add to that the fact that when the adrenaline is pumping during the fight, you're not going to feel pain.

It was the meniscus. Funnily enough ACL MCL and medial meniscus are usually all injured together. Meniscus however can still be ok to play sport with but hurt like shit

Ah meniscus that's right, I stand corrected. But yeah meniscus injury can be managed, ACL cannot that's for sure, even by itself.

As an aside, there's a new treatment for ACL injuries which is called LARS surgery. It involves using a synthetic ligament instead of one from the hamstring (?), recovery can be 3 months but it's not that reliable apparently. Probably the sort of op you'd get if your a 35 year old and may have only a short career left, it's probably not suitable for MMA fighters at all though.

Back