How devastating would a loss to Khabib be for Conor?

When conor constantly sells himself as an invincible ko machine and he gets crushed by a retired pillowfisted midget...it matters

It's a shot to his ego, maybe. In terms of using it to objectively judge his MMA skills though, it's completely irrelevant. All it proved was that he's not a professional boxer on the level of one of the greatest of all time boxers. Well, duh.

I'm not really interested in your personal disdain for the guy's promotional tactics. I'm just saying that the Floyd fight didn't really prove anything all that significant in terms of his skills as an MMA fighter.

It just doesn't matter that much for Conor , at least not for the money UFC will pay to him to participate in the Reebok show.
I would say he could lose 5 fights in a row and still earn more per fight then all other fighters in that division together.
One guy owning you over and over again is terrible for your marketability. On the other hand beating someone who humiliated you would be MASSIVE for his marketability.

5 losses in a row to anyone would completely kill Conor's star power. You are delusional if you think otherwise. Even Mike Fucking Tyson stopped being a draw when he lost enough. Same with RJJ

IMO, it depends a lot on how the build-up goes. Conor already lost the first fight to Khabib. If he keeps a fairly humble attitude (for him) going into a second fight and loses in a competitive showing... it wouldn't be anything he couldn't bounce back from and still be a big attraction.

Khabib is a beast, but Conor is still a super exciting fighter to watch. Just like Mike Tyson still drew in the crowds long after his aura of invincibility was gone.

One guy owning you over and over again is terrible for your marketability. On the other hand beating someone who humiliated you would be MASSIVE for his marketability.

5 losses in a row to anyone would completely kill Conor's star power. You are delusional if you think otherwise. Even Mike Fucking Tyson stopped being a draw when he lost enough. Same with RJJ

Good post

1 loss to the guy, he can deal with and still be a huge UFC superstar. But if he has an 0-2 record against someone, he’s basically at the point of no return because there won’t be a third fight.

Even if he fought outside of Lightweight, how can he be as big a star with everyone knowing he’s been owned by another fighter with no other shot at redemption?

not at all. khabib vs conor 2 is still the biggest fight in history title or no title

It will still be the biggest ufc PPV of all time, with a Diaz trilogy follow up for another big pay day.

I think a loss would be far more devastating for Khabib than Conor. Khabib fell to the floor in tears when he lost a judo match. Imagine what state he'd be in if the guy he hates so much was the one to snap his streak. He's have to be put on suicide watch.

Probably not as big as a loss to Conor would be for Khabib. Losing to Conor for Khabib would probably be worse than it was for Aldo.

Always be great fights for Conor.. He and Mas for example..

Doubt it would bother him so very much.

He seems a lot more level headed about his losses than his biggest fans or biggest detractors.

And if came back for example to beat Justin and say Mas at 170..

Well he's back. MMA is short sighted..

I think a loss would be far more devastating for Khabib than Conor. Khabib fell to the floor in tears when he lost a judo match. Imagine what state he'd be in if the guy he hates so much was the one to snap his streak. He's have to be put on suicide watch.

I can’t beleive I haven’t even thought of that lol. I just never had it in my mind that Conor could beat Khabib. But yea I feel like if Khabib ever loses to anyone in general he’s either gonna handle it with class or go completely nuts. nothing in between.

Back